Question of The Day. Saturday 22nd of February.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning,

I have just been checking through some documents and realised my passport expires this year. I'll have to get a new one, even though I'm not planning on going anywhere. I've heard the new passports for the UK are going to be blue, after Brexit is done.

Have you got a passport?

When does it expire?
What colour is it?

Mine runs out in October and it's a maroon colour now. I'm looking forward to my new blue one.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, but ours are passcards. We got them a few years ago when we went to Canada to see ACDC. 2028, I think; that print is really small.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a passport. I went to Costa Rica with a class when I was a junior in college. It was a phenomenal trip!

The outside is blue. It's very outdated with all of my info (address, I've gotten married, old photo, etc.). I think it expires in 2024.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't have one. All I have is the 'enhanced' driver's license- the one that requires an original birth certificate, among other ID to get. The closest thing I had to a passport was my military ID card, but that was a very long time ago.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I have is the 'enhanced' driver's license
I wanted to get one of those, but the form looked so complicated, it gave me anxiety. They wanted utility bill and a bunch of other stuff? I only had a hour before they closed and I was at the deadline of having to retake my road test if I didn't get it renewed that day.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't currently have a passport. I had one when I was a kid so I'm on file, so I'm sure any renewal would be fairly easy (my brother got his back within a week; much faster than normal processing). American passports are dark blue and are good for 10 years (5 years for kids under 16).

This was one of the first states to adopt the enhanced driver's licenses, and we didn't have a choice. That was a PAIN. It was fairly straightforward for me, but I remember a co-worker complaining about having to dig up her marriage license and her divorce papers, since she had changed her name both times. Who keeps all that once you've divorced the guy? She was not happy. But now all that is on file and I don't have to find all the paperwork again unless I let it expire, so I'm not going to let that happen.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to get one of those, but the form looked so complicated, it gave me anxiety. They wanted utility bill and a bunch of other stuff? I only had a hour before they closed and I was at the deadline of having to retake my road test if I didn't get it renewed that day.
It's not really complicated, just a pain in the butt. I needed my birth certificate, bills with an address, and my DD-214 form to prove that I was a veteran, and have my license so marked. Oh yes, and money. It cost me $95 for the New license.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think my parents still have the ones they had to get for all of us back in the early 1980s when we took a trip back to their native country to visit relatives (more like my parents showing off their perfect American family to relatives :rolleyes:). I've never left the US since and don't travel anyways so have no need for a passport.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have a passport, it’s blue and it expires in six years. I didn’t need to look it up because I had to pull it out a few weeks ago to get my new state drivers license. Our current Minnesota licenses don’t meet the government requirement for ID’s for air travel so I had to bring my passport, a couple of utility bills and my social security card to prove ID and residence to the state Dept .of Motor Vehicles to get my new license. I do not understand why if the government accepts your passport as ID that the state couldn’t as well, but they don’t. Now I am waiting to get the license in the mail. Supposedly it is a two to three month wait.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not really complicated, just a pain in the butt. I needed my birth certificate, bills with an address, and my DD-214 form to prove that I was a veteran, and have my license so marked. Oh yes, and money. It cost me $95 for the New license.
Whoa that is expensive. I paid $28.50 same as the one that isn't enhanced. Ohio gives people a choice. I think the only difference in the appearance is that the enhanced has a star on it.

The last time I traveled internationally my military ID was my passport. I don't have a passport.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whoa that is expensive. I paid $28.50 same as the one that isn't enhanced. Ohio gives people a choice. I think the only difference in the appearance is that the enhanced has a star on it.

The last time I traveled internationally my military ID was my passport. I don't have a passport.
Well, this is NY, after all. If you come East on I-90, at the PA border there is a welcome sign, followed by a 'toll booth ahead' sign.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately I let my passport expire, not intentionally but had other things going on at the time and now I regret it. Thanks for the reminder, even though I don't have any immediate plans to travel outside the country I would like to have a current passport.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both a passport and the passport card (I had lost my old one, which was really depressing because it had my Antarctica stamps in it, and since I had to go through hoops to get a new one and say the old one was lost, I figured I'd get the card, too).

It's navy blue and expires in 2025.