Question Of The Day. Saturday 20th Of May.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hurray, it's Saturday!

Do you like to eat outdoors in the summer? Do you prefer picnics, BBQ's or restaurants with outdoor seating?

I like eating outdoors before monsoon season in Japan. After the monsoon goes through the mosquitoes come out, so eating outdoors usually means I end up as their lunch.

:paranoid:

I like picnics, but I have to admit I'd rather go to a restaurant with a nice garden or patio. That way I don't have to cook or wash up.

How about you?

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like and love eating outdoors during the summer. Doesn't matter to me if it's a picnic, BBQ.
I don't mind the clean up from picnics or BBQS seeing how it's mostly all gathered up in trash bags ( paper plates, paper towels and so on) including bags of empty soda bottles/ cans and/or empty alcoholic beverages.
I even cook over an open fire pit- the food doesn't have the charcoal taste nor the lighter fluid taste.
I try to stay away from restaurants even the ones that have outdoor seating because they are so expensive.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I enjoy eating outdoors, and will take my meal out to my back yard. And eating at an outdoor seating area of a restaurant is also nice. Not big on picnics; and I got rid of my grill about 8 years ago, it was just too much work to haul everything out, cook, haul everything back, clean the grill etc. Back then, it was just me and my Dad w/ dementia and he was really getting deep in the dementia, I had plenty of work. Now it is just me so no need for a grill, I'm only cooking for one.

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These days there's an inside grill- George Foreman Indoor Grill. Sure it's not the same as cooking on a real grill but it's good to have if you don't have a big family ( single or just have a significant other). Doesn't nearly take lots of time to get ready to cook on either. I know seeing how at one time I had one and I could cook just about any kind of meat on it.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i love eating outside as its seems a rarity here ! If it is warm it rains often and I can't stand being cold so have to be inside unless it's very hot. I have a garden for the first time in years and we've only used the bbq once so far so I'm praying for some heat this year so we can have more.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Sometimes I eat on the outdoor patio of a restaurant but we've often got an ocean breeze going through which makes sitting outside chilly.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an indoors person. We have only two seasons here, 11 months of steamy heat and one month of chilly. Restaurant patios have fans, usually Big Ass (yes, that's the brand) ones that move the air pretty well, but cool the food along with the people. Since most of the local restaurants are on major roads, the noise is just too much for conversation, too.

Eating outside of the house is not a good idea either, because the mosquitoes manage to eat more than we do. I even tried leaving a piece of very bloody meat out as a decoy, but it just brought more swarms. Those critters are voracious! After a rain, we cower inside and the hospitals do a lot more blood transfusions.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
After being cooped up for 6-7 months of winter I LOVE to eat outdoors. I even eat my breakfast on the patio in summer because it's peaceful and quiet in the backyard. When we had our dog we would take him with if we were going to eat at an outdoor restaurant, he was so well behaved and a welcomed customer.:)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to eat outdoors and take in the beauty of nature. In fact, I think I like to garden just so I can be outdoors. As a kid, I spent the whole summer outside; it was before home air conditioning, and it was always cooler in the shade of a tree. I now have a nice deck and it's nice out there past noon when the house shades the deck. Not too many mosquitoes until late summer, and that's after dusk.

I don't grill much anymore as I live alone, and it's just too much trouble for one steak or hamburger. After my gas grill finally fell apart after 25 years, I got a small charcoal grill, but it's not worth the effort.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really like eating outside. It might be nice at a restaurant if it's not too noisy outside; but in my backyard its just not fun to deal with bugs. If it's hot it's not so pleasant either. Our church has an annual picnic every summer and it's always at one of the hottest times of the year. And even though we've got a good system to cover food and keep it in coolers; the flies know to hang around the pavilions. It's not my cup of tea I guess.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll occasionally have a sandwich outdoors or some ice cream, sitting on my deck. most times i prefer to eat my meals indoors.

on the rare occasions that i've eaten out at a restaurant during the summer months, i prefer outdoor seating. i know that if i'm indoors with their ac running, i'll become extremely cold.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I like to eat outside by the pool, but it's mostly in the sun. We also have a picnic table in the back yard under the ash tree and when people come to dinner, we'll often eat there during the summer. It's nice and cool, even on hot days. It's a bit of a pain getting everything out there, though, so during the afternoon, I'll take the dishes, silverware, glasses, etc out and put it in the tiki bar. I'll put the tablecloth on the table. Then it's just a matter of getting the food outside for dinner.

(Several years ago, I did a big party for Rick for his 60th birthday. We built a tiki bar, although it wasn't anything fancy. It's now about 6 years old and it needs a good re-painting and the top needs to be redone, too. But the wood is still in good shape and we still use it.)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We rarely eat outside. Between the flies, mosquitos , and wind it just isn't worth it. We do sit outside on our porch often, somehow not having food around makes a difference. Getting everything cleaned off is a pain too, the birds LOVE the dry cat food that is put out and you know what that means! (even though I do have to clean it sooner or later)