Question Of The Day. Saturday 19th Of May.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning! Or is it good afternoon?

:headscratch:

What was your scariest experience?

I've had a couple of near misses when I've been on a motorbike, but they're usually over so fast I didn't have time to feel scared until later.

One really nerve-wracking experience I had was trying to cross a rope bridge while I was hiking. I'm not usually bothered by heights, but this was a bridge suspended over a gorge with a really fast flowing river at the bottom. You could see the water when you looked down at the planks you were supposed to walk on. I swear there was a a lot more gap than plank!

:fear:

How about you, any scary experiences you'd like to tell us about?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in first grade I was a very tiny child, and we went on a field trip to the state capitol building. At that time (maybe even now - I don't know) it was possible to take the stairs all the way up to the base of the gold dome (on the inside). The stairs were cast iron, with no risers, and all the way up I was terrified that I could accidentally slide through an opening where a riser should be and fall a very long way. In my defense, yes, I was small enough to fit. No, I can't, as an adult, imagine any way such an accident could happen, but that thought was a very long way from my six-year-old mind.

Margret

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was very scared when I was having a bad reaction to a new medication and was having severe pain. I visited the E.R. three times with no answers for myself as to what was wrong. Finally, I was so weak, my parents brought me for the fourth time and more tests were run. The results came back and I was hospitalized for one and a half weeks to recover from the reaction I was having to the medicine. It was scary while this was happening because I thought there would never be an explanation and the pain was severe (abdominal). All in all, I recovered nicely within a month and am very thankful that never occurred again! I am also aware of this allergy since that time.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was 5 my mom was at the doctor with my sister and I was home with my dad who was cutting woodwork with a power saw in the backyard (for basement renovation). I was in my bedroom when I heard my dad scream, I ran downstairs to find him holding a couch cushion to his arm and blood was everywhere. He had nearly cut the whole thing off. He told me to call 911, but I was mute and was terrified to do it, so my dad said to hand him the phone and go get towels. The police and ambulance came and I went in my room and cried. One of our neighbors and her daughter came over to watch me and my sister because my mom ended up, by chance, following the ambulance back to our house. My mom still claims to this day that I saved my dad's life because my being home with him forced him to stay conscious long enough to get help. I still don't think so though.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Back in high school a couple of us were heading home after play practice in the evening and found a hit-and-run victim (dead) by the side of the road. There were no cell phones then, so we went to a nearby strip mall to call the police. I don't know whether to call it the scariest experience, but it was very unsettling.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It was a car accident. I posted about this before, so those of you who know the story can skip.

I was coming home from second shift at work. Missed the turn-off to come into our little town and over-compensated. The car hit a tree stump and flipped. Hit another tree stump and flipped again. Going into the third flip, I hit the corner of a house and came to rest on the driver's side. I was sitting in my seat, looking straight up out the passenger window....and I could see the stars.

I sat there for a while, trying to figure out how in the world I was going to get out of the car. And then I started smelling gas. At that point I knew I had to get out. I crawled out the driver's window (the glass was gone, obviously), dusted myself off, went to the front door of the house and knocked. The guy came to the door and I said, "I hit your house". He looked at me, got me inside and his wife cleaned my face where the glass was embedded in my cheek. We called the police, I called Rick and everybody came down.

I knew the policeman and when he asked me what happened, I lied. Said I fell asleep. I was really fiddling around with music and missed the turn. I remember he said, "Pam, I don't want to hear that!" and he put me down for unsafe driving because that was better than falling asleep. The ER doctor said I had a pretty nice concussion and I wasn't to go to sleep that night. We left the hospital, went to the garage to see my car. That's when I broke down. I loved that car.

I was lucky. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and when I knew I was it wasn't going to end well, I just hunkered down in my seat. I had a mark on my cheek (still have it) from the glass, two black eyes, and a concussion. The car was totalled.

It was a good two weeks before I felt that I could drive again.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being in NYC on 9/11 and not being able to get home because of it. Thankfully, far enough away to avoid harm but too close for emotional reasons. The day was fairly terrifying, without going into unnecessary details as I'm sure most can imagine.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when i was 16 years old, my dad was out in the woods one weekend morning with the chainsaw, cutting firewood. it was very early morning in the summer, and everyone else was asleep -- including me.

so i hear a knock on my bedroom door and my dad opens the door. i turn over in bed, to see him clutching his leg with blood on his jeans. the chainsaw had kicked back and hit his leg. he'd driven the Gravely back from the woods, and woke me up because i had my learners permit, so i could drive him to the hospital -- 45 minutes away. he might have thought that my mom wouldn't be able to keep calm enough to drive him to the hospital...:dunno:

we get to the hospital, and into the emergency room dad goes. quite a long time passed and i hadn't heard anything, so i was really worried. i was young and had no experience with emergency rooms, so didn't know that taking forever is a given there. :rolleyes: finally, dad walks out and i drive us back home.