Question of The Day. Saturday 19th of June.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So far I haven't had a reaction to any vaccine but that doesn't mean I won't have in the future. We were warned about the reaction to the Yellow Fever vaccine but I didn't have a reaction to that one either. The Anthrax vaccine is supposed to be a rough one but I haven't had that one. I think the only people in the states given that one are people who work in virus labs.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got most 80s childhood vaccines. Didn't finish the dtap series because they thought I haf a reaction. No one told me so I just got tdap during pregnancy and was fine, so apparently I didn't have a reaction.

I've gotten the HPV vaccine, but not the chicken pox one because I had chicken pox when I was 2. I've gotten the rhogam vaccine, and the covid one as well. I don't remember getting travel vaccines.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had all of mine except for shingles and I don't believe I've had the hepatitis vax.When I was working,one of the things I did was make all the arrangements for the health department to come out to the store and give anyone who signed up and their families their flu shots,and tetanus as well.I'm religious about staying up to date with the flu,and I will with covid as well,and I believe I've got 3 years left on the tetanus.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just made an appt for my first Shingles vaccine. I get it Tuesday. It's one of those things I kept thinking I need to do but hadn't done. I haven't had the hepatitis shots. The list of recommended vaccinations for someone my age at the pharmacy also included the one for pneumonia and the Tdap. I knew you were supposed to keep up the Tetanus one which I know I am overdue. Whooping cough is recommended if someone is going to be around a baby but it is probably a good idea to keep that one up to. I have never heard of anyone having diphtheria but the vaccination has been around a long time. I had the shot as a child as did my kids and grandkids.

I only get one vaccine at a time if I have a choice, I didn't have the choice in basic training. I am not an anti-vaxxer but I do believe that it is possible to overload the immune system especially as we get older.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only get one vaccine at a time if I have a choice, I didn't have the choice in basic training. I am not an anti-vaxxer but I do believe that it is possible to overload the immune system especially as we get older.
That's part of the reason I chose a pediatrician who does monthly appointments. I want J to get all her shots, but feel better with her getting 1-3 at an appointment rather than 5 or 6.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten the HPV vaccine, but not the chicken pox one because I had chicken pox when I was 2. I've gotten the rhogam vaccine, and the covid one as well. I don't remember getting travel vaccines.
If you've had chicken pox, you will need to get the shingles vax because shingles is caused by the chicken pox virus that's still in your system.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've had chicken pox, you will need to get the shingles vax because shingles is caused by the chicken pox virus that's still in your system.
I know. I'm waiting for my doctor to tell me to get it. I'm not sure if you can be too young for the shingles vaccine.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're probably right, only because shingles hits people of a certain age, and you have to wait until that age.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got all the usual vaccines from childhood (given my age at 55), but I have always tested negative for titer vs rubella and have received that vaccine multiple times (due to pregnancies). Work requires me to get a flu vaccine (I would not otherwise--I get a pins and needles sensation in the arm that I receive the vaccine from injection site down my arm through the ring and little finger. Every year it lasts a little longer). Because of the recent cancer diagnosis, I did get the covid vaccine (Johnson & Johnson version), but I probably would not have otherwise. (In the pre-surgery visit, the nurse just couldn't wrap her head around the fact that the only thing on my med list was a calcium supplement. I'm just ridiculously healthy otherwise.)

(Surgery went well, now waiting for the pathology results.)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Got the lot, and as an old traveller, I've had all the things you needed for most countries.
I do remember having an arm that I literally had to lift so I could use the hand.. it was so sore. That was one of the overseas shots.
Otherwise, no problem..
oh.. except for covid. Australia is being really slack about the roll-out and I seem to be stuck in a 'not yet for you' zone. :(

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I had been vaccinated with whatever there was while growing up. My Mother made sure of that. And so are my kids.
Every year I also get the flu shot and of course recently for COVID-19.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got all the mandatory kid's vaccines, and later the HPV one if I remember correctly. I've never had a bad reaction to it. Never a flu shot, because I'm not in the "at risk" group, but I wouldn't be against getting one. I recently got my last hep-B shot done, and now have to wait to get my blood tested, to see if it worked good enough. I'm scheduled for my covid vaccine, but it's a little while away since I'm pretty young still. I've never been against them or are really bothered by them in any way. It's just something that I need to get done, at least in my eyes.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm vaccinated against Coronavirus (both jabs), cervical cancer, HPV, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and the seasonal flu (get the jab every year). I've never had any reactions to any vaccines as far as I can remember.