Question of The Day. Saturday 19th of June.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, Happy Saturday.

I've been thinking about vaccines recently. I've got vaccine envy of all of you who've already had your Covid vaccines, but I think I've had my fair share of most other vaccines available.

Are you vaccinated? What against? Ever had a bad reaction to a vaccine?

My parents made sure we got every vaccine we could when I was growing up, so I've had diphtheria, hepatitis, polio, tetanus, whooping cough, meningitis, measles, mumps and rubella. I don't think I had a bad reaction to any of them, but I remember screaming when they stuck the needles in.

😱

When I got a bit older I went traveling around Asia, so I had the cholera, malaria, rabies, typhoid and yellow fever vaccines, as well as some booster shots of ones I'd had as a kid.

I remember getting a huge purple bruise on my arm after the typhoid shot, but I'm proud to say I was too old to scream when they jabbed me by then.

:lol:

How about you?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had all of the available vaccines, although I haven't had a tetanus shot since I was a teen. No bad reactions. I got my first flu shot last year, and I intend to continue with that.

And of course, I'm vaccinated for COVID.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been vaccinated against all things except for the travel stuff.

I always get some sort of reaction to a vaccine. It is usually a blotch/rash along my entire torso, exteniding up my neck. I feel feverish, and sick.. The rash has been known to last for a week or so.

It is so strange but with the Pfizer Vaccine, I did not get the "rash'.. kind of weird. It has to be a reaction to something in the solutions.

The worst reaction was to the Shingles Vaccines. I wonder if that was because I had shingles, in the past?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have all the childhood vaccines that were available to me (well...my parents...I certainly would not have volunteered ;) :lol: ) at the time. I have not had a booster though since I was a young teen. Some vaccines only came out when I was already a bit older. I know I got a couple of them while in school....:think: The anti-vax movement wasn't much of a thing when I was in school, so when it was time or a new one came out, they would have the vaccination clinics at school, class by class we would line up by the gym or library and get jabbed. I assume permission slips were signed at some point...but I can't remember that part...I remember the HepC and (I think) the meningitis ones were given at school, we also got TB tested at school. We even had blood drives while I was in High school....great way to have permission to miss class! LOL!
I do not have the Chicken pox, or HPV vaccine...they came out when I was already an adult...and I already had the Chicken pox when I was 5.
I got the flu shot a couple of times when I was young, but my last one was when I was 17. I have not been vaccinated for Covid yet.....I will though...I'm just being a big baby....I hate needles.
I have decided that when I am eligible, I will get the Shingles vaccine. I've seen too many people suffer long term effects from getting shingles and I do not want to be one of them.
I've never gotten any "travel vaccines"...as I've never traveled, so.....

I've never had a bad reaction to any vaccine, but I do know that my arm has always, no matter the vaccine, gotten VERY sore...no...painful, for several days...longer than I think is normal. And I'm not a wimp, I have a high tolerance for pain, but getting jabbed?...IDK why it affects me so much. It's actually another reason why I'm being a baby about getting the Covid shot, I have a very physical job, and I know I'll have a hard time working for 2-3 days post vaccine, so I want to try and plan it on a Friday so I have the weekend to recover.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Fully vaxxed here, including COVID. I want to travel this fall (tickets booked and all!!), so not getting the vaccine wasn't an option.

The covid shot kicked my butt. Husband was totally fine, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck while contracting the flu. Fever, chills, throwing up, my head felt like it would explode- even closing my eyes hurt because of the little micromovements your eyes make. It was not fun, but I'll take it over a covid infection that requires hospitalization.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Totally vaccinated from Covid. I did ok with it both times except on the 8th day each time, I had excruciating exhaustion and muscle aches so bad I couldn't work those days. One of my doctors said that there have been reports of delayed reactions so wasn't surprised to hear about my experience. Oh and I got quite bruised and that arm I got the shot in was tender for about a week but that happens with any vaccine I've received.

My husband fared easier than I did, I don't recall him having anything more than some tiredness the next day. But nothing serious.

Always had whatever vaccines were necessary as a child and still get flu shots every year. Did not have the chicken pox or HPV vaccines as those didn't exist until I was well into adulthood. I do still think getting the chicken pox one would be a good idea though.

I grew up with a cousin that had polio and saw how terribly it impacted her entire life. I'm totally on board whatever vaccine is needed then and now.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mom and Dad made sure we got all of our vaccinations when we were kids. I did the same thing with our son.
Rick and I got the shingles vaccine. And, of course, we both got the Covid vaccines (Moderna).
I received a flu shot last year for the first time ever. I will continue with flu shots as well as whatever Covid boosters will become necessary.

I am also caught up with tetanus (was working in the flower bed next to the pool and got a splinter in my hand. Got the splinter out, but Dad was worried about tetanus because it was pressure-treated lumber. He didn't have any rest in his butt, til I got a tetanus shot. I think they're good for ten years, so I have one year to go).

The worst reaction was to the flu shot. Blah!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had all of the childhood vaccines available at that time. I had rubella, mumps and chickenpox. I still need to get the shingles vaccine. I am a vet so I got a lot of vaccines that normally aren't given in the States like Yellow Fever. Now that I am older I get the flu shot every year even though it is hit or miss as to how effective it is. I have also gotten both COVID shots.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had whatever babies/little kids usually got in the '80s. . .my mom wasn't antivax yet. I don't know all of them, but definitely MMR and DPT. Idk if babies got Hib, HepB, pneumococcal, etc. back then, and they definitely didn't have the chicken pox or HPV vaccines yet. I remember getting an MMR booster at age 12, because they made me do a pregnancy test first and I was mortified, lol. I also remember getting a vaccine on a sugar cube, must have been polio. And we were TB tested every year.

As an adult: I got a tetanus booster back in 2012 because I injured myself. I never got the flu vaccine before but I've been getting it for the last 3 years, because a few years ago I was so sick that I literally could not breathe and I want to avoid doing that again as much as possible, even a small reduction in the chance of getting sick is worth it to me. And I've had both doses of the COVID vaccine.

I've never had a bad reaction to a vaccine. I do occasionally get a twinge right where I got the COVID vaccine. . .I read something about that. Apparently minor muscle damage is quite common with any IM injection; it's not at all related to what the injection is for. The only reason we're hearing more about it with the COVID vaccine is that everybody got vaccinated around the same time, which doesn't usually happen.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I’ve gotten all the standard vaccines. I’m pretty sure I need to update my tetanus at my next doctor appointment. When DS was born they gave me a booster for the whooping cough one. I’ve also had the Rhogam shots because I have RH negative blood and DH is positive. I don’t know if thats technically a vaccine.

I am cautious with the flu vaccines because my mother reacts to that one any time she’s had it. She worked in a school where kids boarded during the week so you’d think she was more likely to get sick without it but she was on the floor sick for a week one of the last times she got it.

My grandpa grew up down the street from my cousin’s grandfather in law. Either he or his brother had a lame leg thanks to polio. I grew up hearing stories about their generation without vaccines.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've had all the standard ones plus several travel ones, as well as Tdap for being around newborns when the grandbabies were born. Started getting flu shots a couple of years ago. I got flu-like reactions to both shingles shots and both Covid ones.

Norachan Norachan I hope you get the opportunity to get a Covid vaccine soon!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only vaccines when I was little were for polio- the Salk one- and smallpox, and I got both of them. In boot camp, they turned us into pincushions with all the shots we got, plus boosters at regular intervals. At this late date, I don't remember what they all were for. I have had tetanus shots and pneumonia shots since then. Since there were no vaccines at the time, I've had both types of measles as well as chicken pox, but not mumps or whooping cough.
I've never had a bad reaction to a vaccination, but one guy in my boot camp company got deathly sick. I think it was the one for typhoid, but I could be mistaken.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm caught up on all of my vaccinations, so I've been vaccinated for all the standard diseases these days. I haven't had any bad reactions to them either, although the second COVID one did kick me in the butt for a solid day, but that happened to pretty much everyone.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the diseases for most of the childhood vaccinations, except diphtheria, smallpox, and polio. I haven't traveled outside the US in years, so haven't had those shots either. But I have had all the adult vaccinations, flu, tetanus, shingles, pneumonia, and Covid. The second Covid vax put me in bed for 36 hours, but that's all.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I take any vaccine offered to me and have taken both COVID vaccines. It was Moderna and I had a huge reaction to the second one but I was ready for it. Years ago I had a reaction to a flu shot, but I was in my 20s and it may have been a different formulation.

When I was bitten by a feral cat (my fault) last November, my GP made me go to the ER in case they decided that I needed the HRIG. I did not, which I more or less expected, but they did give me a tentanus with a little pep talk about how everyone should keep their tetanus shots up to date for reasons that most people write off or figure is never going to happen to them.

Years ago I traveled to Egypt and took some sort of vaccines but I don't even remember what. Apparently uneventful. I have taken shingles and pneumonia but only the previous shingles vaccine as my titre was sky high when one of my drs ran it. Biggest reaction I ever had was to Reclast which is a yearly infusion for osteoporosis. That was really like "I'm coming, Elizabeth."