Question of The Day. Saturday 19th of December.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

:wave3:

Do you shop at thrift stores, charity shops or recycled goods and clothing stores? What kinds of things do you look for? Have you ever found any great bargains?

There's a big recycled goods store near the bus stop where I catch my bus home, so I pop in there about once a month if I have time to kill before my bus comes.

The store is called
Hard Off. :flail:I know! No one in Japan understands why I find that so hilarious.

I've found some good sweatshirts, knitted jumpers and t-shirts in there. They're often brand new, with the original labels still on them. I'm always on the look out for good quality, cheap blankets because I cut them up to make cat beds and cushions. The best thing I ever found in a recycled goods store was my vacuum cleaner. I think I paid the equivalent of about $20 for it five years ago and it's still going strong.

What do you think of thrift store shopping?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There used to be both Salvation Army and Goodwill stores in my area, and I have shopped at both, but no great bargains. Now, there is only the Goodwill store, where I look for books, some clothes, or just cruise looking for whatever catches my eye. There is also an AMVETS store, but it is almost 30 miles away, so we haven't been there yet. We did get a good deal on some small cabinets at a recycle store run by Habitat for Humanity, though.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love thrift/charity stores. I refuse to pay full price for anything so they are right up my alley. I've found lots of things from clothes to household items. There are so many different thrift stores to go to. We even have what's called "The Re-Store", they support habitat for humanity, where it's all used/over stock building materials, renovation stuff (cabinets, lighting ...etc) and furniture.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
No... But, I am not against donating. I have donated thousand of dollars worth of items to the Salvation Army and my Church's Flea market.
Especially after each parent died, and each time I moved. I keep thinking that other people are doing the same thing.. so it could be dead persons clothes... I am kind of hereby-jeebie about that.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not really. I might go in to look for books or cookbooks, but even that's really rare. I've never found anything that I actually need or want.
One thrift store had men's "tidy whiteys" on a hangar. They were obviously used as you could actually see faint "skid marks". That was simply wrong! And it pretty much cured me of thrift stores. No, thank you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love finding a good price on older, real wood furniture, but that's usually from Facebook Marketplace or similar, not thrift stores (I haven't tried Restore yet though). And I've found some cool hard goods from thrift stores too (that's what disinfectant is for!). But I don't have the patience to rummage through the clothes racks usually.

Lysol sells a laundry disinfectant for unbleachable clothes now for anyone who's worried about germs.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
No. I'm a germaphobe, so I would rather buy new.
I understand your feelings but some of the thrift stores I go to have a rule everything has to be washed/dry cleaned and in good condition. I have found some amazing deals and even if I buy clothes, usually a tee shirt or hoodie, I always wash it before wearing. Plus I shop at stores that are affiliated with a hospital or charity so a portion of the money helps support them. I have also bought books, games and DVD's for our students at school. Frequently a piece from a game gets lost or broken so if I can find the same game at one of the thrift stores it makes the students, and me, happy. 😊

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not often. I have bought the odd ornament, but I'm another germaphobe, so don't like touching things at thrift shops, yard sales, etc. I also worry bringing home bedbugs, which I realize I could also pick up in regular stores, but just seems more likely with used items.

I understand your feelings but some of the thrift stores I go to have a rule everything has to be washed/dry cleaned and in good condition.
A friend of mine loves thrift stores, and says since Covid she finds everything is neater and cleaner looking than before. So that's one positive that's come out of this horrible year. Hopefully it's a routine that will continue indefinitely.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to shop in them for games for the kid's, The best bargain was csi board game for a pound it was still wrapped. I've found some good books too. My neice worked in one for a while and got my daughter a lovely Morgan dress for 50p. Everything there had to be washed before being put out for sale they had a washer and dryer in the back.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Pre Covid I shopped thrift stores nearly every day and I don’t buy new unless I can’t find it used. I didn’t buy something every day but just checked out what was in the store. Sometimes I may need to shop for six months before finding a specific thing I am looking for. Pretty much every decorative item in my house came from a thrift store and some of my furniture and appliances as well.

There have been so many bargains! My kitchen aid 9 speed hand mixer, $130 in stores was pretty much new and I paid $5 for it, including a full set of attachments. My sewing machine is a great Singer model and I paid $15 for that. I recently picked up an Echo Dot aka Alexa for $1.99.

I also love to find old but well made furniture to renovate and use. I currently have a small chest of drawers that I bought and am refinishing and did a small end table last summer.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! I love going to thrift stores, although I do not go to Salvation Army. I have not been to one this entire year, though. To be fair, I avoid shopping as much as I can, but I prefer thrift stores over regular stores. We are in need of new plates because Jasper climbed into the cabinet a few days ago and knocked half of them over. I get housewares, clothes (not underwear!), furniture, and books from them.

In fact, I will have to go sometime in the next few weeks because I usually get everyone some of their Twelfth Night gifts from thrift stores. It is just part of our tradition.

I like salvage stores and returns auctions even better! I am driving today to get some Yule and Christmas gifts from a returns auction. I got my mother-in-law a $275 massage chair for $30, a corn hole set for $10 for brother-in-law #2, and a new Yule tree for $3.10.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really. I might go in to look for books or cookbooks, but even that's really rare. I've never found anything that I actually need or want.
One thrift store had men's "tidy whiteys" on a hangar. They were obviously used as you could actually see faint "skid marks". That was simply wrong! And it pretty much cured me of thrift stores. No, thank you.
My cheapskate of a stepmother tried to talk me into donating old underwear!...I was so appalled and obviously refused. Her logic was "well someone may really need them!" I just couldn't justify donating such an intimate item (I threw them out), and my heart broke for those who are not fortunate enough to even be able to afford a Walmart pack of new, unused underwear. 😥

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the cloth diapers I got were used, via a local mom's facebook group. So I guess technically I bought used underwear. :running:

I used to love used bookstores, but bought most of my clothes at places like Burlington that appear to be new but discounted somehow? I'm not opposed to the idea of buying second hand clothes for myself, but I feel like I'm pretty picky, and the few times I've gone into thrift shops, I just haven't found anything I like enough.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love browsing in thrift stores, etc., but not now since the pandemic. The biggest bargain I got was when I was young and living at home with my mother and sister. We were very poor. We went to rummage stores, usually on the last day when it was $1 for anything you could stuff in a grocery store size paper bag. So I stuffed and stuffed, paid my dollar, and when we got home I dumped it all out on the floor. Both my mother and sister were astounded at how much I had been able to stuff in without the bag breaking. It was mostly tops, and I got a lot of really nice ones for hardly anything at all.