Question Of The Day. Saturday 19th Of August

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, sorry for the slightly belated question of the day. It's already Sunday here.

:paperbag:

I know we probably all have as many cats as we want or can afford, but does anyone else have a list of names for possible future cats already written up?

What names have you picked out for those "If I ever....." cats?

I heard of a black female kitten named Purple once and I thought that was such a great name. Just think of all the great accessories you could get in purple for a cat called Purple.

:hellocat:

I also think that if ever I get a long haired ginger cat I would call him or her Tan Po Po. That's Japanese for dandelion. Of course, he or she would probably become Po Chan for short, but that's quite a cute name too.

:lovecat2:

A couple of other favourite names are Tricky and Loki. I think they'll suit any future feral rescues as they always tend to be quite a handful.

:blackcat::catface::caticon:

How about you? Any future cat names you'd like to share?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't say I necessarily think of names for future cats. However, when I hear a name that catches my attention I file it away in my memory. :wink:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best cat name of all time (according to DD and me) is already taken. It's Winchester Winchester 's Mollipop. I love that name and DD was reading a post over my shoulder once and saw it. She declared it the best cat name ever. I agreed.

My list includes

Chloe
Juliette
Alexander

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the exception of Samai, I normally wait to name a cat until the name is obvious.
One cat I got from the shelter, got in the car and Magic by The Cars was playing. Her name became Magic.
Yoda, he had real big ears. Rootbeer was already named. Bastet (other than she was dilute tortie) looked just like the statues. etc...

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have to come up with names all the time at the shelter, which can be tough; last week 8 guinea pigs needed names at once, and it took a lot of effort. :lol:

I'd planned on naming our next black cat Goblin or Kobold, but Mowgli already was answering to that (or Momo), so we didn't rename him.

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love imagining cat names for my imaginary future cats (or pets in general but I'll keep to the cat names for this list)!

Some on my list:

Lucy and Ethel
Steven after Cat Stevens
Gertie (after Gertrude of Nivelles – the patron saint of cats)
Gill and Shep (from Bell Book and Candle)

And then homages to famous cat lady/cat gentlemen...

Ernie/Ernest (Hemingway)
Florrie/Florence (Nightingale)
Emily (Brontë)
Harriet (Beecher Stowe) - and if it's not too confusing to have a Harriet and Harry (after Harry Chapin / Cat's in the Cradle)

Plenty of "witch" names
Agnes (Sampson)
Alice (Kytler) etc. etc.

Or Edith after the Beales of Grey Gardens – which reminds me – I must watch that documentary tonight – it's been on my to watch list for ages now!

I could go on..! :greenpaw:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a named picked out for a orange feral I've been feeding. I decided yesterday while I stood watching him eat that if I ever get friendly with him he is mine. He is such a handsome young guy and I have no business even thinking about adopted him. Damn he is so cute and I am so lonely.

Oh yeah, I dediced on the name Tommy. I never was one for fancy names.

Ellen

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The best cat name of all time (according to DD and me) is already taken. It's Winchester Winchester 's Mollipop. I love that name and DD was reading a post over my shoulder once and saw it. She declared it the best cat name ever. I agreed.
Aw, thanks! The best thing is that she looks exactly like a Mollipop! :agree:

I have no idea. We never name a cat until they tell us what their name is....and I know how that sounds. But it's true. Somehow or another, they get around to telling us. And it doesn't take long.

I read somewhere that cats like "sh" in their name and they like their name to end in "eeeeee" (we had a kitty named Banshee). And they prefer more than one syllable. I have no idea how true that is.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have one but, my husband does.
He said if we ever get a male Maine Coon he wants to name it Samson :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I wasn't 99% sure that Ruby would hate having to share her space with another cat, I'd get a male and call him Max. Then I'd have Ruby and her little brother Max - like the Max and Ruby cartoon.

Another name I like is Whiskers. Not very original, but then again, I once named a budgie Feathers. :)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I don't have any names. I tend to wait until their personality gives me their name.

Honeybee because she has bee stripes and Soft Honey fur
Floey from Florence because it just fits her.
Pumpkin Face because she has a jacko lantern face.
Krash because she was hit by a car-from another owner-
Flash because she was literally soft as air and she moved in a Flash.

I am hoping a wee little kitten finds its way on my doorstep for Honeybee to tear the house up with...shhh don't tell Jon. LOL.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jude, Beau, Blue, Hunter possibly maybe. I'd like to steal the name June Bug from bengalcatman but I suppose I'd best not.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't have any names picked out for cats in the future. I like the name Solomon and might would name a cat that.

and might would name a cat that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They seem to just come to me, but there are names I've heard that I love. Probably one of the best cat names I've ever run across is from a political blog site I visit. There are any number of cat diaries there, including one by a Cat Daddy who travels all over the country with his beautiful long-hair tabby rescue, Noble Fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They seem to just come to me, but there are names I've heard that I love. Probably one of the best cat names I've ever run across is from a political blog site I visit. There are any number of cat diaries there, including one by a Cat Daddy who travels all over the country with his beautiful long-hair tabby rescue, Noble Fur.
I love names that are more like a title. Names like Captain Meow and Princess Monster Truck. Cats can be very proud of themselves with names like that.