Question Of The Day. Saturday 18th Of November.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, Happy Saturday.

:happycat:

Imagine you get a call from a friend to say they're planning to drop in unexpectedly. You have just five minutes to make the house and yourself presentable. What do you do?

First I'd scoop the litter boxes. I do this every time I notice they've been used, but just in case.

Next I'd squirt the front door with enzyme cleaner and wipe it with a paper towel. I do this about a dozen times a day, but Hiro sprays it every time he walks past. He knows there are wild forest critters out there. Three years of spraying the front door has kept them out so far, he doesn't see any reason why he should stop now.

:fire:

Next I'd light a stick of incense, just in case the scooping and spraying haven't done the trick.

After that I might attempt to run a brush through my hair. Probably wouldn't make much difference though.

Finally....put the kettle on. That way when the guests get here we'll be able to have tea.

What would you do?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd probably try and rationalise the cat toys in the living room, vacuum up/pick up shredded cardboard (the boys are obsessed with cardboard chewing/shredding :devilcat2::devilcat2:), scoop the boxes/sweep up escaped cat litter, and make sure I had presentable clothes on (I'm living in leggings atm, but don't feel 'decent' unless I have a skirt or dress over the top). Kettle would go on too, if I had time after everything else ;)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Start picking up all the little bits of cardboard Mowgli has strewn about and vacuuming up litter. It must be Mowgli's idea of proper decorating.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Five minutes? Scoop. Good enough. People know we have five cats and they either deal with them or they don't have to come to our house.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since the litter box is upstairs I could probably take a pass on checking it if I only had 5 minutes. However, I would pick up all the scrunched up paper receipts I leave on the floor for Carleton to bat around, he loves the crinkle sound. :biggrin: Then I would remove my stack of papers, neatly organized but an eye sore. :wink:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would throw all my 'junk' in the closet ~~~ that is what closets are for!
A quick swiffer, change into decent clothes. If time, a quick wipedown of furniture, and bathroom.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had inside cats I would scoop the litter boxes although I always tried to scoop them whenever the cats used them. I would also vacuum if I had time.

Muffy

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A quick toilet cleanup.
And since I'd assume my husband is home for this scenario - I'd have him load the dishwasher.
I wouldn't scoop because the boxes are upstairs and guest never go up there unless they are staying overnight but a clean human toilet is most essential!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just five minutes, huh? Is turning off all the lights and pretending I'm not home an option? :lol:

Seriously though, my first priority is always rounding up the cats and getting them settled in their respective bedrooms. Then if there's any time left, I'd give the front bathroom a quick touch-up. None of my friends or family have strictly indoor pets, so they don't understand why we're so concerned about our kitties accidentally getting out.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d Check the bathroom was clean and move washing from the living room which this time of year is indoors drying. Grace would hide herself as soon as the door bell went .

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try and sweep or wipe down the floor quickly. Pick up some clutter. Put up some incense or a candle. I am the type that cleans dishes right away after use anyway, but if there were any I'd try and take care of that and make sure they were spotless and put away.

Throw on some BB cream, highlighter and blush :lol:

But hey, since it is a friend, imperfects are meh I'm sure! Many friends are comfortable with that stuff among each other I've been to my friends houses many times where it was messy (Not a pigsty or gross or anything) and I was fine with it. And some have pets too. In any case, if someone was to stop by unexpectedly like that they are going to have to expect some well lived in moments in the house. And the fact that I have animals, cats and a giant mountain dog, so they will have to deal and be mindful.

If it had been a stranger/new person, or a special fellow, or a neighbour, I'd try a little bit harder. And grumble since I'm not really one to like last minute things like that, and be all disapprov-y on why people think it is appropriate to just drop in like that, especially since I'm an introvert and additionally antisocial when I am snuggled inside my oasis cocoon that is my home - being all "ARGH WHY MUST YOU DISTURB ME. ME NO LIKEY PEOPLE" like an evil crone.

Social time is for the outside, inside time is for rejuvenation.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my friends know I have animals (as do they). We accept each other for how we are and what our homes may look like. If it's family, and they don't like it, then they can meet me somewhere else.

If friends can't accept me for how I am, then I don't need them as friends.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Scoop, wash my hands and get my dentures in. I'm not a really messy person by nature.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's a relative I straighten the kitchen up. I'm lazy when it comes to putting clean dishes back in the cupboard. I usually leave them in the sink to air dry and never get around to it. Maybe run the vacuum through a few rooms if there are any cat hair tumble weeds floating around. Run a comb through my hair.

With friends I don't usually do anything. They know bed head is usually my normal appearance. Lol