Question of The Day. Saturday 16th of May.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, Happy Saturday.

:wave3:

Do you collect anything? How long have you been collecting?

I collect tiny little Hello Kitty dolls. Wherever you go in Japan you can get these dolls dressed in a way that represents that area. They're tiny enough to attach to a key-ring, so my collection doesn't take up much room.

I've also got a nice collection of wind chimes. They live indoors all winter, but now that it's getting warmer they're all outside, tinkling in the breeze.

What do you collect?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't purposefully collect things. But I do have quite a few things with a "peacock feather" theme, and of course cat themed stuff. I also have quite an extensive collection of vases, none of which I bought myself, most were gifts or hand me downs. My grandmother loved vases and when she downsized, I ended up with a bunch of hers.
I'm just more of a keeper of things (anything) than a collector with a purpose.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
unique doorknobs
This reminded me of an old tv show character, Aunt Clara, from Bewitched. Have you ever seen or heard of her?

I used to collect a type of pottery made in England during the 1800's and cat figurines but that was a long time ago. I stopped collecting because DH collects clutter. :rolleyes2:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't collect anything in particular, I just don't throw away:
  • anything which may come in useful for sewing, knitting, beading, card making etc..;
  • all things useful for fostering cats from old towels, transport boxes, litter boxes, cat trees, soft baby toys and all the paraphernalia like bottles, small funnels and measuring jugs for motherless kittens and
  • tools!
Yes - tools! My handyman son-in-law moved into the upstairs apartment and took over a room in the cellar, which he fitted out as his workshop. He has an extremely sophisticated collection of tools but my simple toolbox soon became empty, torches disappeared and I hadn't even got a screwdriver or hammer to call my own! So I've started hoarding.

If a folding rule, glue, tape, hammer or torch is needed, it is always too much effort to search in the workshop, so mine is borrowed and inevitably disappears into the black box in the cellar! So I've become quite a collector!

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@neel
This reminded me of an old tv show character, Aunt Clara, from Bewitched. Have you ever seen or heard of her?

I used to collect a type of pottery made in England during the 1800's and cat figurines but that was a long time ago. I stopped collecting because DH collects clutter. :rolleyes2:
neely neely I have heard of Aunt Clara, I have seen Bewitched many years ago. I do not remember about her liking doorknobs. I would like to see the Marion Lorne collection

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love coins from other countries. I don’t have them displayed nicely or anything but I like to look through them. Some are pretty even.
I have a bunch of money from foreign countries- drachmas, centimes, pesetas , lira, pence, and a couple of half-crowns, as well as 5 franc and 10 shilling notes and a couple of MPC- military payment certificates- from countries where we couldn't possess US currency. I just hung onto it for old times' sake.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a bunch of money from foreign countries- drachmas, centimes, pesetas , lira, pence, and a couple of half-crowns, as well as 5 franc and 10 shilling notes and a couple of MPC- military payment certificates- from countries where we couldn't possess US currency. I just hung onto it for old times' sake.
I don't even know off the top of my head where everything I have is from. I bought a good bit of it at a gem show. One of the vendors was selling off his father's collection. He had traveled all over the world. I asked my FIL to see if he could find me a Lira when he traveled to Italy (after they started using the Euro) but he either couldn't or forgot. I would REALLY love to have an ancient Roman coin and I've seen them for sale on Ebay; but I was afraid it would be a counterfeit/replica. I saw some in an antique store once that had a lot of military memorabilia too. I just wasn't sure about it from there either.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even know off the top of my head where everything I have is from. I bought a good bit of it at a gem show. One of the vendors was selling off his father's collection. He had traveled all over the world. I asked my FIL to see if he could find me a Lira when he traveled to Italy (after they started using the Euro) but he either couldn't or forgot. I would REALLY love to have an ancient Roman coin and I've seen them for sale on Ebay; but I was afraid it would be a counterfeit/replica. I saw some in an antique store once that had a lot of military memorabilia too. I just wasn't sure about it from there either.
I have both 50 and 100 lira coins, as well as 1, 2, and 5 drachmas, 1 and 50 pesetas, and 10 centime, 1 franc and 20 franc coins, and the half crown coins too. Oh, and a Panamanian 25 cent piece that someone slipped into my change, because it's the same size as our quarter.