Question of The Day. Saturday 14th of March.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

:hellocomputer:

I thought I'd take a few ideas from other Lounge threads I've seen this week and combine them for today's question.

Did you have a crush when you were younger that makes you cringe now? Who were considered the heart throbs of your younger years?

Lots of people I knew were crazy for Blur, Oasis, or Pulp but Jarvis Cocker or Damon Albarn weren't really my type. I wasn't that keen on Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt either.

At that age my heart belonged to Jared Leto. I know he hasn't aged well but he's still a good actor. I also had a bit of a thing for Daniel Day Lewis in his Last of The Mohicans days. I think I see a pattern starting to form here.

:lol:

How about you?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friends and I all had crushes on The New Kids On The Block. Jordan was mine. He was a cutie patootie but...two words: rat tail. 😖 🤪 I think the fashion makes me cringe more than anything.

I guess I’ve never been one to follow a lot of celebrities because few names come right to mind. I loved blue eyes though so I remember as a teen there was James Marsden and Devon Sawa.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Logan Lerman when I was a teen. I'd just stare at his pictures all the time and felt legit sad when I read he liked blondes as if there was an actual chance I'd just run into him one day 😂

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a crush on Michael Landon, who was in Bonanza then, and Roger Moore, who was appearing in Maverick. I'm not embarrassed at all about it; they were both crush-worthy. Sadly, they are both gone now.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my crushes when I was young ( 9-14 yrs old) were
Mike Nesmith
Peter Breck
Richard Hatch
Robert Urich
I didn't have any crushes that were teenagers. They were all 'real' men.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I had a crush on one of the Mouseketeers when I was six. I think it was Karen.

When I was fifteen, though I did not like the show, the actress who played Wonder Woman stole my heart. :redheartpump:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My first big crush was Christopher Plummer. We went to see the film The Sound of Music and I fell in love.
I was not yet a teen when I saw it but I think back and wonder if it was weird, him being so much older.
Also Omar Shariff,

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cringe:
Mark McGrath (Sugar Ray singer, turned TV personality)

Not really cringe but could be considered outliers from the norm (I still have a huge soft spot for slacker types):
David Arquette
Seann William Scott

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Cringe crush: Kevin from The Backstreet Boys :lol:

Not so cringe: Steve Irwin. I watched The Crocodile Hunter religiously and I credit him with pursuing my education in biology and conservation. I cried for weeks after he passed away.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I saw Hayley Mills in Whistle Down The Wind when I was a kid, I was smitten for years afterwards. She was about 15 in the film and was ten years older than me. I must have seen it a few years after its release on the TV so I'd be about 9 or 10 maybe.
Edit: It's not cringeworthy.

1584279087101.png

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about the "Casey Jones" character from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies? I didn't really crush on the actor, I had a crush on his character. I also kinda had a crush on Michelangelo......the turtle. :paperbag: At least even as a child, I was not superficial and was attracted to personality.....yeah....that's what I'll keep telling myself....:rolleyes2:
As for crushes on actors, there aren't really any that I am embarrassed about, although most of my crushes weren't "the popular choices" for example, I liked Brad Renfro (The Client and Tom and Huck movies), while everyone else was crushing on Johnathan Taylor Thomas.
Jonathan on left, Brad on right. Image from the Tom and Huck movie.
1584280646954.png

Last edited:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a crush on an Asian boy named Daniel when I was in middle school. It went on for years and he was so annoyed by me. When I think about it now, I cringe so much. It was terrible. I can't imagine how uncomfortable he must have felt. I'd always try to hang out with him, always in his space. And when phones came out and I got my first one (a Nokia C3) I texted him almost none stop. I learned how to use chopsticks just to impress him and I tried to educate myself on Phillipino culture as much as possible.

There was also a school dance. I told all my friends that I was going to try to kiss him if we got to dance together. What a disaster... everyone knew I wanted to dance with him so his guy friends and my girl friends try to force him to dance with me which ultimately lead to him running away and getting kicked out of the dance. I cried because I was afraid he would be mad at me for getting him kicked out. So, one of the teachers supervising pulling me out (because I was crying) and asked what was wrong, I told her and she asked him to dance with me and he agreed. We awkwardly danced to California King Bed by Rihanna.

Young Shoshannah was a determined child.

When it was time for high school, he disappeared. None of my friends from middle school have heard from him in years so I guess he got out as soon as possible. He did visit our high school once but after that, he vanished. Oddly, no results come up when you Google his name. Strange.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't think of anyone in particular until I read some of these posts so to borrow from them I have to agree with: Omar Sharif, Michael Landon, and someone who has not been mentioned, Tom Selleck.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The top heartthrobs in my time were The Backstreet Boys and Leonardo DiCaprio during his Titanic years :lol: (Ah, can remember the times where you can get things like a "I Heart Leo" bracelet)

Oddly enough, despite loving the Backstreet boys at the time, I didn't have a crush on any of them! Leo was cute young (Kind of really meh now) but he also didn't intrigue me for some reason.

Anyway, I suppose my most cringiest crushes were Jrockers (Such as Miyavi, during my preteen years. Only lasted a wee bit thankfully) Nothing wrong with them in particular, just was really corny about - with the whole printing a bumload of pictures and putting them absolutely everywhere from my school binders, lockers and computer and being obsessed with their music. Now that I have loooong outgrown that I'm all eeerrr and cringe about it.

My non-cringey first crush as a little girl:

Me:

Good times!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I really had a celebrity crush when I was a kid, at least back then, I didn't consider it a crush. I probably would now, but I loved Shania Twain as a kid. My major crush throughout middle school and high school was a guy who was in school with me. He actually died last year, so that was weird to find out, especially since he was only 32.