Question of The Day. Saturday 14th of December

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents told me from the get-go that they worked their butts off to be able to provide those presents under the tree, the Easter baskets, the money under my pillow when I lost a tooth -- as well as the roof over our heads, the food on the table, etc. My parents were very poor when they were growing up, and didn't want me to feel the same sense of betrayal and disappointment that they had felt when they realized that their parents had lied to them. I guess from a little kid's point of view, it must suck when you don't get any cool presents, and you think it's because you were naughty instead of nice. :(

But it was A-OK to indulge in a bit of fantasy and believe in Santa in a Mr. Rogers "Land of Make Believe" kind of way. So we always did everything that everyone else did for the holidays, including the annual pictures with Santa, hanging up stockings, and the whole nine yards. I just knew who was really footing the bill, and to be more realistic about my wish lists. :)

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never believed in Santa Claus. Christmas was always celebrated but it revolved around the birth of Jesus Christ. We were always doing fun things with decorating the tree, baking Christmas cookies and making advent wreaths is a beautiful memory. We always left anonymous presents on peoples doorsteps of food, clothes or toys or just pretty pictures. But I do remember the Easter Bunny hopping over the entire house!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 7 years old - I accidentally saw the hidden wrapping paper which were of course later on the wrapped gifts :lol: Doesn't take too many braincells to tie the two together. I was a bit bummed out when I saw the wrapping paper but had speculated already prior to that for about a year or two, so it was tapering off anyway. It was a nice time overall so was happy.

Before that though my parents did a great job in creating Santa, with the noises on the roof, leaving behind carrots for the reindeer where they would get nibbles, and they even left behind "Reindeer poop" outside on the lawn! (Equestrian family, not hard to get farm animal droppings). It was a blast for me as a 2-5 year old and I heartily believed it.

I also believed in Tonttu's, and would leave cookies and milk near our Sauna on Christmas Eve. I would get so excited to discover the cookies eaten and the milk gone :thumbsup:
What is Tonttu's? I couldn't find it on google.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NEVER. My brothers tried to ruin it for me by showing me the gifts hidden in the attic when I was about 8 or so. They failed. Miserably. I mentally flipped them off and continued on as if nothing had happened.

Santa is real. Is he a jolly fat guy in a red suit who lives with elves and flying reindeer? Of course not. Santa is anyone who does something to make the holiday special for someone else. Not necessarily a gift under a tree. It could be any gesture to make their holiday season brighter. Santa is real. Long live Santa.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was 4, my parents arranged to have someone (later I learned it was the twenty-something son of our neighbors) dress up as Santa and come to our house with a sack fully of my Christmas presents. I am an only child so there were no siblings involved. Well, that sure confirmed to me that Santa was real. I don't remember exactly how old I was when I learned that Santa was not the jolly old elf in the red suit.

We have 3 children. When they were very young, I had worked out how I would deal with them questioning Santa. When our oldest told me that she didn't think Santa was real, I told her very matter-of-factly that if she said anything about there not being a Santa Claus to her younger brother and sister, I could guarantee that there would be no Santa Claus for her. She got the message.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably 5 years old, because that's when my mom got religion and we stopped celebrating holidays. I remember telling a girl in Kindergarten that Santa doesn't exist and I got in trouble with the teacher. :ohwell: