Question of The Day. Saturday 14th of December

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Honest answers for today's questions please!

:santa::deer::santa::deer::santa::deer::santa::santa::deer::santa::santa::deer::santa::deer::santa::deer::santa::deer::santa::santa::santa::deer::santa::deer::santa::santa::deer::santa:

How old were you really when you stopped believing in Santa Claws? I mean Claus! Santa Claus, not Claws. (I've got cats on the brain.....)

I started to have my doubts when I was about six. Actually, I was always a bit scared by the thought of a large bearded man carrying a sack sneaking into the house late at night.

I must have said something like "There's no real Father Christmas, it's just your Mum and Dad leaving you presents." one year, because that Christmas Eve a large bearded man in a red suit actually did come into my room! It was only my dad dressed up, but it was suitably terrifying.

:fear:

After that I kind of believed in Father Christmas, as Santa is called in the UK, until I was 9 or 10. At that point my parents announced that we were all too old for a stocking full of presents from FC and would only be exchanging little gifts with each other.

By the time I was a teenager my family had pretty much given up celebrating Christmas altogether.

How about you? No fibbing now, or Santa will know and all you'll get for Christmas is coal.

:nono:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
A family friend's daughter told me when I was 5, I asked my mother on the way home because they lived an hour from us and I had to know soon. She confirmed it gently. I was devastated and she told me not to tell other children.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I really don't remember. I do know that I never told my sister and brother.

My niece was petrified of Santa. She was scared to death that he was going to come down the chimney. She didn't want him coming in the door either. For some reason, she was really afraid of him.

I remember years ago, our neighbor's father dressed as Santa and came over to our house. He rang the front doorbell and when our son and I opened the door, he just stood there. Never said, "Merry Christmas!" Never said a word. Not one word. Our son was frightened and I have to say that it gave me the creeps, too. I finally said, "(Name), is that you?" And he nodded. He never did it again. That was really weird.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure exactly how old I was, but I do know I was quite young. The last memory I have of believing in Santa, I was 5. But I also don't remember how I came to stop believing. I don't know if someone told me or not, but I have a feeling I just figured it out. We (sister and me) were too smart for our own good sometimes! The thing is, even though I didn't believe, I don't think I ever told my mom or dad that I didn't. And they never stopped bringing the magic of Christmas into our celebrating. To this day, I still sometimes get a present from Santa! It just adds a little fun to our gift exchanges.
I feel bad for my mom sometimes, because she went all out to add the magic, I think that's why we kept our mouth shut. We didn't want to disappoint my mom. We did the milk and cookie thing, but she would make hoof prints in the snow outside, leave carrot tops laying on the ground from the reindeer. We didn't have a chimney, so we were told that Santa had a magic key that could open any door. Then there would be wet dirty boot prints at the front door. It didn't stop with Santa either. For Easter she would put little muddy bunny footprints across the kitchen floor (from our side door) up onto the counters where our Easter present was, then back down and out the door. Of course my mom would make a little stink about having to clean up after the bunny and Santa. "At least Santa was nice enough to leave his boots at the door", mom would say.
Thinking about this as an adult though, my mom probably would have appreciated not having to go all out anymore. By the time I was 7-8 the out door stuff stopped but we still put out milk and cookies. She would always say, with a twinkle in her eye, "Are you sure we don't need the milk and cookies? Just in case?" We always caved and put some out......just in case. ;) My mom's awesome!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 7 years old - I accidentally saw the hidden wrapping paper which were of course later on the wrapped gifts :lol: Doesn't take too many braincells to tie the two together. I was a bit bummed out when I saw the wrapping paper but had speculated already prior to that for about a year or two, so it was tapering off anyway. It was a nice time overall so was happy.

Before that though my parents did a great job in creating Santa, with the noises on the roof, leaving behind carrots for the reindeer where they would get nibbles, and they even left behind "Reindeer poop" outside on the lawn! (Equestrian family, not hard to get farm animal droppings). It was a blast for me as a 2-5 year old and I heartily believed it.

I also believed in Tonttu's, and would leave cookies and milk near our Sauna on Christmas Eve. I would get so excited to discover the cookies eaten and the milk gone :thumbsup:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I never started believing. My parents told me from a young age that he didn't exist and that everything was a lie. They really ruined the "magic" for me.

No Christmas tree in the living room, no pretty lights outside our house, no fancy dinners with the family over, nothing.

It makes me sad now when people send me pictures of their Christmas trees with presents under it. :(

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was about 6. My oldest brother made me hide to show me that Santa was mom and dad lol. Though I still doubted for another year or two.

My mom I think was relieved. As I would make her leave cookies and milk for Santa... but... one carrot for the reindeers was not enough. I was adamant that it was wrong to only leave one out for Rudolph and would get very upset if she tried that. So we left out one for each of the reindeer's. My mom would very painstakingly make bites out of the carrots that a reindeer would make as she knew I would know the difference. We lived on a farm with horses etc so I knew exactly what bite makes looked like. :D

I also argued that Santa would not neglect the animals so they had to leave presents out for the farm animals and barn cats.

My poor Mom. She did a great job though at convincing me they really came and ate. She certainly took greats efforts to help me believe.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was in the 4th grade I think when my Mom decided it was time to break the news. She sat me down on her lap (which I remember thinking was weird and I was way too big for) and told me. And I was pretty much like "ok." :lol: :dunno: She expected waterworks. Thinking back I wonder; didn't she know her child!? :lol: Poor Mom. It was obviously harder on her than me. ;)