Question Of The Day. Saturday 11th Of November.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, Happy Saturday.

:hellosmiley:

Do you collect anything?

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I have a real soft spot for Kitty Chan. I started buying tiny little Kitty Chan dolls when I first came to Japan. Pretty much every town or tourist spot has a version of Kitty Chan either dressed as or holding something specific to that area. The smallest dolls are only a few centimeters high, so they don't take up too much space. They seemed like something cheap I could buy to remind me of that place.

I must have about 50 of them now, but they all live on one small shelf so it's a very low maintenance collection.

How about you, what do you collect?

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Breyer model horses since I was in grade school. I had over 200 at one point. I go through phases where I buy a bunch then sell them off. I have about 60 right now.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Other than books for me and Beastie Bands for Mowgli? I used to collect pewterware, but got way too much and stopped adding to the trove.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used to collect Shawnee cat pottery but had to downsize my collection. Good thing my husband didn't answer this question, i.e. he collects everything! :rolleyes2:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I used to collect books but when I moved to a very small apartment, even though it broke my heart I had to leave almost all of them behind. Now the only physical books I collect are those in The Year's Best Science Fiction series edited by Gardner Dozois. The series has been running for 34 years, now. This year I finally completed my collection when I acquired an affordable copy of year one (1984) in excellent condition.

Don't ask me why this is what I chose to collect. I didn't even recognize that I had a growing collection until I realized that I had about 15 of them buried within my then massive collection of science fiction.

To be honest, I'm still collecting other books - they are just e-books. Collecting books is simply too basic to my heart to give it up but an e-book collection is not at all the same thing. Such a collection can't begin to compete with the joy of being surrounded by bookcases filled with physical representations of human knowledge, creativity and imagination.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to pick up salt and pepper shakers in unusual shapes. I have one that is a tree with a tiny pear hanging on it and another that has a pear salt shaker and an apple pepper shaker. I saw one set that looked like mushrooms at Cracker Barrel that I was dying for, but one of the clerks was following me around breathing down my neck like I was going to steal something, so I gave up.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats. I seem to collect cats.
Best. Collection. Ever. :dancingblackcat:

I collect (or I used to) Gund teddy bears. Bears are my second favorite animal. I think I have about 30 or so. I also collect Nike sneakers and have about 25 pairs - 2 that I designed myself. Both high tops. One purple and one red, black and white.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to collect crystals, but haven't been adding to them for a while now. I have no (kitten proof) space to display them, and frankly, still haven't unpacked them all from last year's Christmas craft fair (I use them as table dressing around my jewellery).

I collect cat themed stuff too - mostly mugs so far, but I have a few ornaments and signs now too....and two cat shaped heat packs and and a cat-print one...and cat/pawprint scarves...wow, I have a LOT of cat stuff, now I think about it...:chessirecat:

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting film cameras (I use as many as possible, too), fountain pens, old video games, vintage Lego sets, vinyl records, coins, stamps... dust. :lol:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Frogs--ceramic, wood, carved stone. I also have a nice collection of Zuni fetish animals.

smurf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I collect cat, crow or Halloween themed items.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My music box collection started when a friend gave me a Christmas themed music box as a present. It has a glass lid that you can see a village through with trees, a bridge, elves, and reindeer. A train, Santa and Mrs. Claus, and a Christmas tree revolve in the center, and a Christmas song plays when the lid is lifted.
I started buying interesting ones at thrift stores, such as a clown in a gold and velvet costume that moves atop a velvet box, a porcelain doll with a velvet dress, that moves when the music plays, and a small ceramic, footed chest with a cat face on the lid. I have twenty-two now. I haven't been to a thrift store for quite awhile. Maybe I have enough?:anticipation:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect beach glass. I also collect coins- wheat pennies, flattened souvenir pennies, state quarters. And I have a collection of dream sickles.