Question of The Day. Saturday 10th of October.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

What kind of music do you dislike? Is there a genre or an artist that you really can't stand?

I don't like R&B. I think a lot of R&B singers have really good voices, but I just can't stand the way they're all over the place, up and down the scale when they sing. It's like they're showing off.

I don't like The Beatles. I know a lot of people think they were really good song writers, and I do like some of their songs when they're sung by other people. I just don't like them singing the songs.

Oh, and Chris De Burgh! Or as I call him Chris De Bleurgh. That Lady in Red song should be banned, it's just awful.

How about you?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Country and Western, especially with that really full on American 'twang' (sorry to anyone I've offended :paranoid:)
Michael Bublé ... it's technically good but no heart.. elevator music.

and I never liked ABBA......

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t like rap. Love classic country like Patsy Cline. Basically all but can not stand rap. Listen to Classical (Mozart) all day. Or Big Band. Love Kitaro Norachan Norachan

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't take heavy metal or really hard gangsta rap. As for singers/bands...I can't stand Nickleback or Taylor Swift and I honestly don't care much for the Beatles either. Some of their songs are good, but most are just...meh. I don't care for Micheal Buble either, like mani mani said, it's just elevator music. I don't keep up with the music scene much anymore so I really don't know who else. I will say though that I'm usually disappointed with what I hear on the "newer music" radio station around here, it's all so generic and blah.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most rap
Most newer country which is what I call "pop with a twang" especially Taylor Swift. I cannot stand her. Old school country is OK but not my favorite.
I think the Beatles are the most overrated group of all time and Paul/John two of the most overrated people. George, however. was very underrated and under appreciated.
Jazz

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of varies by what I am doing, I always listen to country music in the car. At home I usually listen to 70’s artists like Van Morrison, James Taylor, Linda Ronstadt or Bonnie Raitt.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not super "into" music at all. My tastes are extremely eclectic and individual. So I can't say "I like X", because I almost certainly don't like all X, just that one X song. If forced to pick one artist whose songs I mostly like, it would have to be John Denver :paperbag: . And Simon and Garfunkel. And Weird Al 😄.

I don't care for jazz. I don't hate it but meh.

I enjoy rap/hip hop beats but only if the lyrics are not horrible.

I don't like old Country (except John Denver, if he is in fact old Country) but I can stand new Country. Some of the lyrics are funny :D.

Some new pop songs I can't stand but some are pretty good.

I know people make fun of Imagine Dragons but I like a lot of their songs. What is that genre called, Indie Rock?

Mostly I just keep the radio on for background noise and ignore the ones I don't care for and sing along with the ones I like.

Currently my favorite radio singalong is Blue on Black. Googling. . .genre is "Blues Rock".

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t like heavy rap and don’t like heavy bass pounding through the cars and trucks of others! Those folks must be deaf or, soon will be. I like soft and relaxing. Sweet or sad. A beautiful voice gets me and well played instruments. A story to be told in the song rather than repetitive phrases than have little meaning.Happy songs are great but mood songs too.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never was a Beatles fan...don't like rap,most r&b,most country I don't care for,jazz,heavy metal

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've never liked country western music. It gets on my nerves. :cringe: I'm also not a big fan of the Beatles and thought I was one of the few people who didn't care for them until I saw some of the replies above.

swaggieyolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love songs from earlier. like you know “I’m gonna love you dah dah dah” with the romantic beat. Played in the 90s to early 2000s. Eww.
I like anything. good rap, good r&b, electronic, dub, good Rock, I used to like screamo but not anymore, classical, etc. Mostly anything that is released during 2015 on.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
No, MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf , I loved the Beatles.
I do not like rap, and country. Country sounds all the same to me. But I like Dolly Parton. There was also a country song called "Bony Fingers" that I liked.

My favorites are rock from the 60's and 70's, big band swing music, and classical.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Electronic dance music/techno/trance - anything along those lines is simply jarring. I've never been a country fan, either, but it's preferable to EDM.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm open to anything as long as it sound like there's soul in it. This means that a lot of pop music just doesn't cut the mustard for me. And that's pop of any genre: country, kpop, rap, rock, etc. Things that are too heavily produced, written by like six different people who have never met each other or the artist singing the song, songs that don't actually say anything, etc.