Question of the Day - October 25, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only one week left of October!! I found an old video I took of my mom's dog this morning. I had just stopped by her house but somehow her old dog got the idea that I was there to take her on a walk. She was going deaf at that point; so who knows what gave her the idea. But yeah; I took her for a walk. :lol: She's been gone for several years now. She was the last pet brought home before I moved out and she was the last dog our family has had. I am definitely missing having a dog around these days!

How many pets did you have growing up?

I started with cats when I was 2. By the time I was an adult we had had 3 cats, 2 dogs, and one hamster. One cat and the hamster came with my stepdad when he and my mom got married. The hamster didn't live long after that either so he kind of gets forgotten about. My 2nd cat was born to a cousin's cat and I picked her out when she was still a little jelly bean.

My uncle bred his golden retrievers when I was a kid so we had the opportunity to bring one home; but Mom said our apartment was too small for a big dog. She was right! But I still to this day want a golden retriever of my own. I was in middle school when we brought home our first dog. By then mom had remarried and we were in a house. The 2nd dog came along when Mom was at the Dollar Store and some kids were trying to give away their dogs puppies. Mom noticed her whiskers had been singed off on one side...so she came home with a puppy in her coat. I think she was the last one they had so hopefully they all got good homes!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than family pets, I had none. There was a series of dogs, though. The first was Dixie, a mostly Spaniel. Next was Butch, another mixed breed that was my constant companion. Then came Rocky, a part Boxer, and finally Pixie, another mostly Spaniel. So far as I know, all of them were castoffs from other people. I don't believe that my parents ever paid for a pet.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most we had at one time was 6...? I think... two cats, two birds, one dog, one guinea pig is the most we had at once.

These are all of the animals I had growing up.
Three dogs (Bart, Lucy, and Maya [still living, but we got her when I was 23 and still living with my parents])
Seven cats (Casey, Milo, Mistletoe, Willie, Lilli, Fiona [still living], Kirby)
Four birds (Skippy, Snickers, Skippy II, Clover)
One guinea pig (Tobey)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my Mom is severely allergic to any animal with fur or feathers so as a young child, all we ever had were goldfish. BUT silver lining to a parents divorce...we had several pets over the years at my Dad's house.
It started with my Dad's second wife's cat, then we got two cocker spaniels.
Then we got rid of my Dad's second wife (her cat had already passed), and Dad's third (and still current) wife, along with her kids, were also a huge animal lovers, so over the years I was still at home we had...(but not necessarily all at once)
-Cats x3 (white w/ black splotches named Fritz, seal point named Toby, orange tabby named Chewy)
-Dogs x2 (Springer Spaniel named Sasha and Lab/pit bull mix named Chaos)
-Fish (too many to count)
-Bunny
-Gerbils x2
-Hamster
-Little lizards x2 (I think newts?)
-Snake (Ball python)
-Budgies x4

The fish, bunny, gerbils, hamster and lizards were all the kid's pets over the years and the birds were my Dad's. The snake was (is) mine as well as Toby and Chewy (cats). Fritz was mostly my Stepmother's cat and the Dogs were mostly my Dad's, but ultimately were Family pets.
When I moved out, I took my snake and all three cats with me as we did not want to separate them, and my husband and I adopted a fourth cat together. When they passed, we adopted three more cats...I still have my snake too.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
More than I could count - many dogs and cats and their many litters. Domestic rabbits, wild rabbits raised as pets, two horses, parakeets, fish, turtles and probably more if I think about it longer. None of them lived more than a few years, disappearing, getting hit by cars etc. The horses were given away or sold because they were always jumping the fence and running off.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost anything that crawled, walked, flew, or slithered. I had snakes, tarantulas, cats, dogs, hamsters, mice, turtles, pigeons, parakeets, canaries, raccoons, skunks, chameleons, horned toads, fish, a foal, pigs, chickens, baby birds that fell from their nests, ducks rabbits, and probably the most exotic, two baby bats that I raised on bits of hamburger and milk. It was literally a zoo while I was growing up, I didn't have all these at once but over the years of my childhood. I have always loved all animals, and wanted to become a vet, imagine that! PS my mother should be a saint with all the animals I brought home, most she was either afraid of or disliked!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, I had budgies, aka parakeets. Cute little birdies.

I didn't get a kitty until I was 18 in the late 1970s; amazingly, mom and dad let me keep him. I had him till he disappeared in 1982, but when I went to California in 1985 and got a house, I got cats and a dog, which I had to give away when I went to law school.

Now, I have four kitties. Grown old, but not grown up.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents are not animal people (despite the fact that cats seem attracted to my dad :lol: ), so it was mostly goldfish. My brother had a box turtle named Scaly for a number of years, and I had a very short lived hamster as a teenager. That's all, I think.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had birds,dogswe bred pekingese dogs for a while and cats later along with however many lizards,frogs i could catch and bring home baby sisters kiddie pool made for a great mini pond for the fish i brought home on fishing trips :lol:i was lucky my dad liked keeping tropical fish himself so i grew up with lots of fish tanks:flail:mom wasnt to enthused about our hobby at times from the mess we (i) would make at times during water changes.:rolleyes:now that i think on it i grew up knowing pet store trips usually meant a new pet fish or stuff for my pets at home:flail:now to try explaining it as logical to the gf on why i cant not buy graycie stuff everytime we go into petsmart

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We started with 2 cats, they were my parents babies when they were struggling with infertility. I got to meet them as well, one of them passed away when I was around 4-5.
We then got a dog, my great aunt is a breeder and we got one with a special arrangement. He was still technically hers, she could use him to breed, but we had him in our house.
Our dog and cat got along surprisingly well, we've once found them sleeping together on the dogbed. But our cat eventually died, she was around 16 at the time.
After a while, we got a second dog. They were a lovely pair and really became good buds. They died a couple of years ago, and after that my parents didn't want any pets anymore.
So I snuck in some cats :D
There were a couple of strays and neglected cats around that were attracted to the food we put out to help the hedgehogs. And one thing kind of led to another... Then we suddenly had 3 cats visiting us regularly, they were basically ours.
One of them died, she had seizures often and was quite old, it was sad but not unexpected. One other disappeared, which still hurts because we had a special bond.
I really missed having cats around after that. So after half a year of grieving, I decided to look into shelters nearby. After a few weeks of searching, disappointment and tears, there was finally a kitty available.
We jumped in the car and got her the same day, her adopted sis followed the next week.
One of the neighbourhood strays we fed regularly but never really stayed inside disappeared. We're afraid he died, so we do miss him. I still love you Bro :( I hope you didn't suffer.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up on a farm so there were always strays around. I was only allowed one dog at a time. They were both Heinz 57 breeds. When the first one passed away I called the next friendly stray that came along mine. There were always cats around but most were feral. There was one that wasn't, probably because I started petting him when he was still a small kitten.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nine dogs total but we typically had six of them at once: Toby, Tori, Holly, Shandae, Kissy (she had a different name, but we called her Kissy), Ralph, Baron, Pepper, and Faye. The smallest was Shandae, a pomeranian. The largest was Baron, a German Shepherd. Toby, who was a Pekinese, was mine.

We only had one cat the entire time I was growing up. She was a beautiful Himalayan named Mewsette who only liked my younger sister and my great-aunt. We had to give her to our aunt because Mewsette would attack my parents, probably for good reason. She was very happy with my great-aunt.

We also had a toad, three turtles, and four birds. I greatly disliked the birds.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Nine dogs total but we typically had six of them at once: Toby, Tori, Holly, Shandae, Kissy (she had a different name, but we called her Kissy), Ralph, Baron, Pepper, and Faye. The smallest was Shandae, a pomeranian. The largest was Baron, a German Shepherd. Toby, who was a Pekinese, was mine.

We only had one cat the entire time I was growing up. She was a beautiful Himalayan named Mewsette who only liked my younger sister and my great-aunt. We had to give her to our aunt because Mewsette would attack my parents, probably for good reason. She was very happy with my great-aunt.

We also had a toad, three turtles, and four birds. I greatly disliked the birds.
Our parakeets were also greatly disliked. They loved to swoop down and peck us hard on the head.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents are not animal people (despite the fact that cats seem attracted to my dad :lol: ), so it was mostly goldfish. My brother had a box turtle named Scaly for a number of years, and I had a very short lived hamster as a teenager. That's all, I think.
The cats have a target on your dad-- that's why the keep coming to him. They will turn him into a Cat Daddy soon enough. My brother never cared for cats and they kept coming to him and now he loves cats. Mission accomplished!!! 😉:flail:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see. I only had one dog so far, but would love to have a few doggies.🐶 I have had plenty of cats and take care of the neighborhood ferals.🐱 I have had a dozen Teddy Bear Hamsters🐹 and had some Chameleons and other lizards as pets.🦎 I also had some Gold Fish. 🐠 I wish I had more pets growing up, but my parents didn't want too many pets. Bummer!😕

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats have a target on your dad-- that's why the keep coming to him. They will turn him into a Cat Daddy soon enough. My brother never cared for cats and they kept coming to him and now he loves cats. Mission accomplished!!! 😉:flail:
I don't think him amd my mom will ever get a cat, but I do think he likes mine and his sisters' cats more than he lets on.