Question of the Day - November 18, 2019

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a gloomy Monday in my neck of the woods. Yesterday I heard DS say "I just remembered tomorrows Monday! I hate Mondays!" I told him he can't hate Mondays because he has no idea what a real Monday is like. Someday hes going to realize how spoiled he is being homeschooled and not having to get up at the buttcrack of dawn or before. :crazy: :lol2:

My family has gained a few new (furless) members in the last few weeks.The latest addition is pretty exciting to me because he marks the start of an entire new generation in our family. And makes my 97 year old Grandfather a Great-Great-Grandfather. That's a pretty cool blessing to see!

Are you an Aunt/Uncle?

I became an official Aunt when DH and I got married because he had a nephew and niece already. I don't have any blood siblings; but I have 4 step-siblings and I consider their kids nieces and nephews. I will be up to 14 nephews and nieces once the latest addition arrives this winter. :oops: I always thought I'd be the fun aunt who takes nieces and nephews for ice cream and to the park and for overnights (and then send them home :p). Unfortunately NONE live near me so I've never gotten to do that. :(

I was close with some of my cousin's growing up; so their kids feel like nephews and nieces too. The more the merrier I guess! :lol:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have three nephews, a great-nephew, a great-niece and another great-niece on the way. I wasn't around them much when they were growing up since my sister and I lived at opposite ends of the state. Now that they're grown up and Facebook exists :) we all stay in touch a lot more.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Between two married brothers (the other two are still single) I have four nephews (one passed away from anencephaly), and two nieces. My oldest nephew is fifteen, though he is special needs and behaves/thinks like a small child. I believe he has Chromosone six deletion. He loves everyone and everything, his name means he will laugh and he will rejoice, which is spot on because I've never seen someone laugh as much as he does. Every doctor told us he would probably never walk or talk. It's been fifteen years and he never stops talking and runs around like any other kid (just more awkwardly and less coordinated).

His living younger brother is twelve, but he is very mature for his age having to take on the role of an older brother. He's amazing at crafting things and been making great looking Harry Potter wands.

My youngest nephew is three and is a little drama queen. Sweetest little man ever but lord everything is the end of the world with him 😂 His older sister is seven but has the attitude of a teenager. She is dramatic, sassy, outgoing and never stops talking. She loves school and church. I can picture her being one of the popular girls in school when she's older. Probably active in sports (she loves soccer) and drama classes because she loves attention and putting on a show. The youngest turned one a few months ago. She has learned from her sister's sass and drama well and rolls her eyes better than any teenager. It's an amazing thing to witness. She's kinda shy at first but warms up to you eventually. She is also the loudest living thing on the planet and will blow out your eardrums. Her favorite way of communicating is by pointing at something and screaming.

It's a very exhausting and headache-inducing time when they all get together :lol:

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have 2 brothers. The youngest is unlikely to ever reproduce for various reasons (but men can make babies late in life so who knows), and I know I'm not going to, so only one of us has made grandbabies for my parents. My middle brother had 2, a boy and a girl, with his first wife, and now they're divorced and he has a baby boy with his new girlfriend. The oldest boy is 14, and his sister is 12. They are very much becoming teenagers. The baby is almost 2. He's a tornado.

My brother is living with my parents because of the divorce (no money---paying child support will do that!) so on "his" weekends the older kids stay at my parents' house. And often on "her" weekends too, if she wants to do something that doesn't include the kids. My mom has always watched them; they never went to daycare or had an unrelated babysitter, so I guess it's only natural even after the divorce. So I see them pretty much every Sunday. They aren't the most adventurous kids (they'd rather stay home and play on their tablets) but we make 'em go places with us. I suppose they'll start pushing back against that soon.

I see the baby about once a month. He's still young enough that I haven't spent any time with him without his parents.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is an only child so I'm only an aunt on my side of the family.
My older sister has 2 girls. My one step brother has a baby daughter. And my other step brother is expecting a boy.
I also have 2 cousins once removed (or second cousins) not sure of the right term....that call me their aunt. They are my first cousins kids. To be honest, I have several family members that I call aunt and uncle that aren't technically my aunts and uncles. It's just whats done in my family I guess. If you're close and are one generation older, you're an aunt or uncle. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I have several family members that I call aunt and uncle that aren't technically my aunts and uncles.
When I was a kid, I called my cousin Elmer, Uncle Elmer because he was so much older than me. It didn't feel right to just call him by his first name.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm only an Aunt to a bunch of furkids.

Dogs: Harley, Maddie, and Eddie.

Cats: Masala, Freddie, Soxy, Yeti, Sherlock, Snowball, and Grayson.
I would be a happy fur aunt if we lived closer to family. SIL's yorkipoo is so sweet! MIL's terrier/chihuahua mix too. (I don't normally care much for small dogs; but these two are great and don't bark you ear off. :lol2:)
My husband is an only child so I'm only an aunt on my side of the family.
My older sister has 2 girls. My one step brother has a baby daughter. And my other step brother is expecting a boy.
I also have 2 cousins once removed (or second cousins) not sure of the right term....that call me their aunt. They are my first cousins kids. To be honest, I have several family members that I call aunt and uncle that aren't technically my aunts and uncles. It's just whats done in my family I guess. If you're close and are one generation older, you're an aunt or uncle. :)
My Grandparents came from big families. We always called older cousins Cousin So and So. The newer generation doesn't seem to be doing that; including my kids. But I do sometimes refer to my cousins as Cousin A, Cousin S, etc. Great Aunts on one Grandmother's side go by Cioci ___. (Polish for Aunt) but for some reason we just kept up with Uncle for the Great Uncles.

Now everyone seems to choose their own name for what they want their grandkids to call them. My Aunt who just became a Great-Grandma wants to just be called Nonnie still. My Grandma is going by GG with the great-grands on that side. It does make keeping people and things easier. :dizzy:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My brother has 2 girls so I am aunt to them. They have 6 girls between them so I am a great aunt. They all live 800 miles away so I only see them 2 or 3 times a year when I visit. They just call my by my name. We never did the Aunt X, Cousin Y thing. My only living aunt is 90ish and I have known her my whole life by Roberta. My sister and other brother have no children. And they are pushing 60 so it is doubtful they will have kids now. My sister's fiance has 2 girls and 3 sons. I have never met the sons. I guess I am step- aunt to the 2 girls. I have met them but the last 2 or 3 times I was up I didn't see them. They are all on their own.