Question of the Day - Monday, September 6, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Labor Day to those in the US! DH took the kids for a bike ride at a park with trails so I am enjoying the quiet. Yesterday they went fishing and on Saturday DH and DS went fishing from the kayaks. So I've had some really nice quiet time this weekend. :cloud9: This is one reason it's great to start school in August; you get a long weekend after just a few weeks!

What was the first concert you ever attended?

My mother just found a ticket stub from mine... She took me to see The New Kids on the Block with her friend, her friend's daughter and my cousin. I remember a good bit about it; including that we were far back seated on blankets instead of in the crowd up front. My cousin is 6 years older than me and was deffinitely too old and cool to do stuff with me most of the time; but NKOTB?? She was there for that! :flail:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in 7th grade, the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra had a 'kids day' concert. There were kids from all around the area who attended. I don't remember most of it, except for the finale- Chopin's Grand Polonaise. Music like that sticks with you, even more than 60 years later.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually just went and saw Green Day, Weezer, Fall Out Boy, and The Interrupters this last Friday! I was hesitant because of everything going on, but I wasn't able to resell my tickets. Luckily it was outdoors and masks and vaccinations were required...but not really enforced.

Anyway, my first concert was only a few years ago and we saw Third Eye Blind! That is, unless you consider school events. The first time I went to college the school had a students only concert of Dada Life and Kendrick Lamar, as well as a few other lineups that I can't remember.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only ever really been to 2 I think, and both were when I was small.
I went to the first one with my dad and a cousin of mine, it was basically one of those pop groups aimed at children, that had a lot of innuendos and weird undertones looking back on it😂 it was the original "K3" if anyone's wondering.
For my second one I won tickets somehow, I think with a sports event. My dad took me and a teammate or two, I don't remember exactly. I do know one of the members in that group, aimed at a slightly older audience but still youth, was one of my first crushes, eventhough I didn't realize until much later 😅

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My one and only concert was Pink Floyd. I don't do well with constant loud music, I get anxious and nervous. That is also the reason I didn't go to a lot of clubs even when I was younger.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first was when I was a young teen and me and a group of friends went to see Our Lady Peace. I've gone to other live entertainment like musicals and shows when I was even younger, but that was my first "real" concert. I always (in my head) made fun (and still do TBH) of the girls that scream and ugly cry when they see their "heart throbs" or favorite singers/bands....but I have to admit, when they started to play Naveed, I choked up a bit. :paperbag: I didn't get all hot a bothered about THEM, it's just that song hits the right tone with me.
I'm honestly not a fan of concerts...too many people and too loud for my liking. I've only ever been to 2 in my life. My husband begged me to go see Motley Crew when they came to town years back. The concert was on MY birthday...so he felt like he needed my permission but he really wanted me to go with him too. They were the first album my husband bought with his own money and he is also a drummer so many of those songs bring back awesome memories for him...the only thing I really enjoyed was Tommy doing his drum solo thing...that was pretty cool, but it's OK....I got him back by taking him to Riverdance...:D...although he actually enjoyed it way more than he thought he would.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It was probably Ashton Court Festival in about 1990. This was free music festival that used to be held in the grounds of a manor house just outside Bristol. I can't remember who played, probably a load of local bands. I remember it because me an my friends were all just getting into Goth, so we went dressed all in black with out hair all spiked and fluffed and backcombed. It was June, so I carried an umbrella with me all day to protect my gothic white pallor from the sun.

1630980763653.png

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe it was Ringo Starr and his all star band. It's the first I remember at any rate. I was pretty into the Beatles in junior high, and my dad was happy to take me and I think my brother.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I've ever been to an actual concert. I've gone to plays and musicals and operas and the orchestra, and things like JazzFest, but nothing that counts as a proper concert, I don't think. I don't like chaos and loudness anyway, concerts aren't my cup o' tea.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Def Leppard w/ Europe as the opening band around 1989/1990. I think I was the only one there who came specifically to see Europe. I loved that band back then. Def Leppard was good too. :lol:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was either Weird Al, or the Detroit Symphonic Orchestra. Both were over 20 years ago so I can't say which was first.