Question of the Day - Monday, September 26, 2022

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
As my husband and I are currently working abroad, I do not expect anyone coming to the house for a visit. I also do not like when people come unannounced so when there is a knock on the door I usually ignore it. If it is important and my husband isn't home he usually would send me a message or call me beforehand if he would be sending somebody to the house to pick up something he forgot. Even in those cases, I get irritated at him because I never liked anyone coming over especially during my rest hours or rest days.

Just last week a neighbor talked to me and asked where I was 3 nights ago. She said she had been knocking because it was her birthday and wanted to invite me over to her apartment. I quickly recalled that I had ignored somebody knocking one night so I lied to her I was not in the house that time. I hope she could not see the lie through my face. LOL.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I'm sitting at the computer, which is on the dining room table, the blinds are open for the cats so I can see them when they walk on the porch. I have windows on either side of the front door, so I'll pull the blinds aside and see what they want. If I have to talk to them face to face, I tell them to wait and go out through the garage I don't want to take a chance Austin will get out. I'm pretty sure Cricket will be under a bed, but I don't trust Austin one bit not to go for a dash.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will check the front window to see if I recognize the vehicle in our driveway. A few of my family members will stop by unannounced to quickly drop something off..no expectation of coming in or anything. It still irks me to not get that call first to warn me so I can make myself presentable...but alas...they just can not be trained. If I don't recognize who's at the door, and am not expecting anyone, I tend to not answer. We now have a ban on door to door sales relating to heating/cooling/water services/equipment and duct cleaning etc...So that has cut down on those aggressive and pushy sales people. Now I only seem to get cable/internet sales people (very seldom) and people asking for donations. I have also on occasion come home to a Jehovah's pamphlet tucked in my door. The thing with sales people, donation seekers and religious pushers is they always park their vehicle at the ends of the streets and walk so if there's no vehicle in my driveway...it's usually someone I don't want to talk to. Very rarely has a neighbor ever come to my door.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many years ago, when I lived in a small town several miles outside of Dayton, I got a letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. It was two pages handwritten; someone took some time with that. They said in the letter that per local code they couldn't visit unless they got an invitation, they didn't get an invite. I thought that was a really great idea for a local law.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I look out the living room window to see who it is. If it's somebody I'm not interested in talking with, I ignore him or her.

I tend to have our front door open all the time, though, so I can stand at the top of the steps and say, "Not interested!" (The storm door is always locked.)

One time I was cleaning in the living room and I had the stereo blasting to Prince's "Sexy MotherF*****". When Mormons came, I guess they knew I was already a lost cause. They left. :lol:
One time years ago I had someone come to the door selling magazine subscriptions. I told him, "Sorry. We're all illiterate." He said, "Oh." Then his eyes widened and he said, "OH. I'm so sorry!" I just said, "That's OK. It's not your fault." I saw him in the neighborhood a few times after that but he never came to our door again.

:lol:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I check out what's happening through the doors peep hole before opening the door. I usually keep the Storm door plus the front door locked while I'm at home. A few years ago I found a unexpected visitor walk through my front door uninvited.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Unless I'm expecting them, I don't answer the door. I once had someone try to break in doing that. Hubby is away a lot of the time I'm here, so I'm alone.