Question of the Day - Monday, September 26, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Am I the only one who gets their best sleep on Monday mornings when you're supposed to get up early? :yawn:☕ I mean I'm home but I have things to do before we start our school day and no one wants to start the week feeling behind...but :sleep:

This morning we had someone ring the doorbell before I was dressed. I opened the camera view for the front door but I couldn't tell who it was and they were already walking back to their car from my yard. I'm guessing my neighbor was outside and he spoke to them because he didn't stay long enough for me to decide if I could throw on something appropriate. He also didn't face the camera. :dunno:

What do you do when you get an unexpected knock at your door?

Usually I answer it but I do like to look somehow, discretely, before then. If I'm not dressed I will try to get there if I can but I can only yank on a bra so fast. :running: When my kids were little the made it SO obvious if we were home and it drove me bananas! You'd think ever knock or ring was Santa bringing Mickey Mouse or something.:rolleyes2: Sometimes I do outright ignore it if it's not obvious we are home and aware. I've had people stop during school and those interruptions can be a pain. Friends and family always text before stopping by so it's usually some kind of religious or political solicitation anyway. Putting up a sign on the door helped with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only unexpected people that come to the door are selling something or looking for donations. I ignore it. I don't really care if they know someone is home or not. I am under no obligation to listen to their spiel.
I wish I could be like that. I don't know why; but gosh I feel SO rude about it. We've had people stop to ask about the house next door when it was for sale and things like that; but I'm not in a traditional neighborhood where people just stop by. And we aren't known for friendliness around here so it should be easier. :dunno:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I check my front camera to see if it's someone I know and/or want to speak to. I put up privacy film on my front window to keep my dogs from barking at everything they see, so I used to check out the window first (or hide so I'm not seen).

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only unexpected people that come to the door are selling something or looking for donations. I ignore it. I don't really care if they know someone is home or not. I am under no obligation to listen to their spiel.
I agree with this. If I am not expecting anyone I do not answer the door. During the week I am working from home so it's not really an option even if I wanted to answer it which I do not. I don't get any deliveries that require a signature so that's not an issue.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am here by myself,the doors are locked for sure,and I always check out a window.Most of the time I don't answer for the same reasons you all had.If he's home,I let him be the judge.Sometimes it's people he knows that are here to pick up honey.We live outside of town and try to be as careful as we can.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I look out the living room window to see who it is. If it's somebody I'm not interested in talking with, I ignore him or her.

I tend to have our front door open all the time, though, so I can stand at the top of the steps and say, "Not interested!" (The storm door is always locked.)

One time I was cleaning in the living room and I had the stereo blasting to Prince's "Sexy MotherF*****". When Mormons came, I guess they knew I was already a lost cause. They left. :lol:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I look out the living room window to see who it is. If it's somebody I'm not interested in talking with, I ignore him or her.

I tend to have our front door open all the time, though, so I can stand at the top of the steps and say, "Not interested!" (The storm door is always locked.)

One time I was cleaning in the living room and I had the stereo blasting to Prince's "Sexy MotherF*****". When Mormons came, I guess they knew I was already a lost cause. They left. :lol:
I was going to suggest pretending not to speak English but I like your way better ;)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If a stranger got anywhere near the front door our dog would bark his head off and you can tell the size of a dog by their bark. He was a shepherd and although some people teach their dog not to bark when someone knocks it was instinct for him which made me feel safe.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If a stranger got anywhere near the front door our dog would bark his head off and you can tell the size of a dog by their bark. He was a shepherd and although some people teach their dog not to bark when someone knocks it was instinct for him which made me feel safe.
I had a friend stop by once when I wasn't home, and my shepherd greeted him at the door. He told me later he wouldn't have opened that door for all the money in the world. For 12 years, Tag never barked when someone was at the door, but he'd stand at the door, grinning and leaping straight into the air. Once Livie arrived, she started barking when people arrived, and then he finally joined in.
I rarely get people stop by my house, and when I do it's one of about 3 people who all love cats. Goof has taken to running to the door when someone knocks, then jumping on a little table I have next to the door to greet them by pawing at their arms and demanding some petting.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I answer right away. I probably should do what most of you do, but hey, I get situations like someone canvassing for their political campaign talking to me while I have a used diaper rolled up in my hand.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only unexpected knocks at my door are people looking for a different unit, an occasional delivery driver (mostly they just dump and run 🙄) or when a homecare worker has been sent at a different time from usual and the agency has forgotten to let me know (has only happened once, they had several people off sick and were obviously scrambling to cover the day’s appointments). None of these bother me, this is a nice secure place to live and there are always people around.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a friend stop by once when I wasn't home, and my shepherd greeted him at the door. He told me later he wouldn't have opened that door for all the money in the world. For 12 years, Tag never barked when someone was at the door, but he'd stand at the door, grinning and leaping straight into the air. Once Livie arrived, she started barking when people arrived, and then he finally joined in.
I rarely get people stop by my house, and when I do it's one of about 3 people who all love cats. Goof has taken to running to the door when someone knocks, then jumping on a little table I have next to the door to greet them by pawing at their arms and demanding some petting.
Phoebe has the same attitude - people coming into the house are there to pay attention to her, not do trivial things for other humans! Once someone sits on the folding chair that’s it, they will have a cat on their lap and they will be expected to provide scritches. Mostly they are happy to comply.