Question of the Day - Monday, October 26, 2020

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I did a big grocery shopping this afternoon. We held off buying our Halloween candy until now because we didn't want to be tempted. We bought an assortment of Mars chocolates: Twix, Snickers, Milky Way and M&M's. Our town didn't ban it but said they are strongly discouraging trick-or-treating and to leave a note on your door if you are not participating. We will put candy out for the kids but not open the front door. This way the kids who will be out in their costumes will still be able to get a chocolate treat. 🍫
I bought snack bags and am going to put a card table at the end of the driveway. If it's not freezing, I'll sit a safe distance back to make sure people aren't grabbing a bunch.

It's our first year with a house, there are a lot of kids on our street, and our village is neither encouraging nor discouraging, so I wanted to do something.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Second was the mini bags of Goldfish. We didn't give out candy.
I got a free sample of tomato flavored Goldfish. They were good!

I don't really like chocolate much, but I like anything with peanut butter. I used to like sour patch kids, but not sure if they are vegetarian. Same thing with candy corns. I don't eat much candy, but maybe I will start sampling some stuff here and there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw a clever contraption on Facebook. Someone used pvc piping to make a candy shoot for their front steps. The kids can put their bags at the bottom and they can stand distanced at the top.

I thought that was neat but also so sweet because its giving kids joy in this year that’s been anything but normal. Sometimes I forget how my kids are feeling. But then DS will randomly comment about hoping we go to church for Christmas. I love that people are finding a way to make things happen!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We stopped doing Halloween a couple years ago, but when we did do it, the most popular item we gave out were the mini bags of Smartfood popcorn. Second was the mini bags of Goldfish. We didn't give out candy.
Several years ago my DD spotted a photoshopped picture of “fun size” bags of salad. She was SOOO disappointed she didn’t get one! :flail: I had to explain it wasn’t real! Poor kid!:lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think there might be MORE trick-or-treaters this year, just from what people are saying on Facebook. Most years, they're like meh, who cares. This year they're all like OMG JUST THINK OF THE CHILDREN. I don't live in town so nobody will come here though.

I think non-sugary treats like goldfish or toys are a good idea. But make it good! No raisins or toothbrushes, lol.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm a complete Halloween stick-in-the-mud, but then it's nowhere near as big over here. I don't get anyone knocking on my door as I'm way up the back of a block and I don't think kids realise I'm here... either that or they think I really am a witch :lol:
But if I were to knock on someone's door with my hat and broom, I'd be hoping for some Turkish Delight. :biggrin:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I saw somewhere that a family attached some kind of tube to their front step railing. When the kids come, they put their bag at the end of the tube. The family will drop candy into the tube and let it fall down the tube into the kids' bags. Social distancing at its finest!

ETA: Sorry, MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I didn't see that you had already posted this.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha!!! I think this year should be anything goes, let children have some great candy, chocolates,
or whatever but have treats that they will be so happy to get.
Yeah but some kids can't have sugar or have various allergies, etc. There are some toys you can get in bulk on Amazon, little squishies or slime or slinkies or whatever, those are fun. And most kids like getting individual bags of goldfish, Cheez-its, Doritos, etc., so it doesn't have to be all candy.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah but some kids can't have sugar or have various allergies, etc. There are some toys you can get in bulk on Amazon, little squishies or slime or slinkies or whatever, those are fun. And most kids like getting individual bags of goldfish, Cheez-its, Doritos, etc., so it doesn't have to be all candy.
DD is one of those kids. I always have candy to swap with her. But its appreciated when people have variety. 🙂 I should have thought about bags of chips for Saturday. My mom and stepdad will get those when all the grandkids are there for the weekend. They think its the best treat! 😄

I live on a country road so I don’t usually get anyone. I turn our lights off just in case. I guess this year I’ll technically be home with candy; just in the backyard.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We rarely get trick or treaters, but pick up a selection of mini candy bars just in case. Anything with chocolate will do, but we try to avoid giving out ones with nuts. We also get (vegan) gummi candy for kids who are allergic to chocolate.

I really like Bounty bars - similar to Mounds or Almond Joy in the US - but don't say no to Snickers, Kit-Kat or Hershey's minis.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That's when my kids pay their annual Candy Tax. (You're never too young to learn about taxation!)
:crackup: Love it.

We've lived for 25 years on a cul-de-sac with two other houses, at the top of a hill, on a street with no sidewalks. No sane person would trek up here for a piece of candy or two. :lol: I haven't bought Halloween candy in years.

I did treat myself, however, with a box of these that I couldn't resist at See's Candies. :biggrin:

IMG_9636.jpeg

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:crackup: Love it.

We've lived for 25 years on a cul-de-sac with two other houses, at the top of a hill, on a street with no sidewalks. No sane person would trek up here for a piece of candy or two. :lol: I haven't bought Halloween candy in years.

I did treat myself, however, with a box of these that I couldn't resist at See's Candies. :biggrin:

View attachment 356736
I dearly love See's candy. It is not sold on the east coast so every year I order a box of their dark chocolate covered butter creams as a treat for myself at Christmas.