Question of the Day - Monday, October 26, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm trying to get a jump on my day/don't want to forget my question until late in the day! Monday's are always busy for me with school and I usually get my groceries on Monday. But my friend is helping me hem some jeans tomorrow. She's a pro. Normally I wear out the back of jeans that are a bit too long. But these are so long they look ridiculous if I try to wear them. So I finally asked for help. :lol:

What is your "must have" for Halloween candy?

I have done really good staying out of candy this year since we aren't collecting it for the church's community event. Normally I end up sorting through my kid's candy and taking out what DD can't have and redistributing it. That's when my kids pay their annual Candy Tax. (You're never too young to learn about taxation!) Usually in the form of Reeses Cups. There are some fun things I usually only see out around Halloween though. Like these large gummy lifesavers. Those are good. Usually my kids will let me have one or two. And a small box of Nerds. Bottle Caps are fun and I only see them at Halloween too. Also the bigger smarties.

I got candy for my kids for Saturday since we aren't going out so I know what all we have. It's way too much for just my kids. And the only chocolate is small Hershey bars. It's hard to find a mix that has chocolate and is peanut free. So that's it for chocolate. Unless you count Tootsie Rolls and Tootsie Pops. :lol: (But I don't! ;))

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't handed out candy since my kids were trick or treat age. I usually had to work when they got older so was never home during the times it was allowed. When I did hand out candy, I always bought the 'Good Stuff" as the kids called it. Never that awful candy corn or the cheap filler candies. We also made up trick or treat bags, with several pieces of candy in them. If I were to buy candy this year it would be Reeses peanut butter cups or some chocolate bars. I am a chocolate and peanut combo addict.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to give out Hershey Bars, Reeses Cups and Milky Way Bars when I was giving out candy. Here at assisted living I was told that they would have kids come in and the residents would give out candy to them. Now because of Covid they are not doing it this year. I would have enjoyed doing that.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a couple mixed bags for trick or treating, of all candy I like so if there's extras, I'm not stuck with gross stuff like Almond Joys.

But I personally need to have candy corn/mallowcreme pumpkins, or it's not the Halloween season.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually buy a mix but Milky Way bars are in it and I don’t mind a bit if there are leftovers. And usually Twizzlers are included as well. A few years ago, though I had a boy that tearfully asked if I had any suckers and I felt so bad when I didn’t. Since then there are always some suckers in the candy.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We don't get any kids around here at all. That being said, Rick's favorite Halloween candy is Reese Peanut Butter Cups. Mine is usually Almond Joy. We buy a large bag of each and throw them into the freezer. For the (non-existent) kids, of course!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like Kit-Kats this year
Those are one of the things I usually get bags of for the church and can't stay out of. :paperbag: :lol2:
We don't get any kids around here at all. That being said, Rick's favorite Halloween candy is Reese Peanut Butter Cups. Mine is usually Almond Joy. We buy a large bag of each and throw them into the freezer. For the (non-existent) kids, of course!
You mean for the kids at heart! :lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We stopped doing Halloween a couple years ago, but when we did do it, the most popular item we gave out were the mini bags of Smartfood popcorn. Second was the mini bags of Goldfish. We didn't give out candy.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only buy candy for myself :biggrin: I live in a building with no young kids (I know there's at least 2 high school age teens) so there's never any trick or treaters. Not sure about the other buildings. I stick with chocolates of some kind: M&Ms, KitKats, Crunch, etc. I did buy a bag of gummy bears this year. Each little bag has like 4 gummies in it :disappointed: Definitely not buying it again. I really want the little boxes of Nerds but those seem to only come as part of a big bag with 5 other candies that I don't care for.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to give out the mini Hershey bars, but discovered the kids didn't like them, so I switched to Reese's Cups, which everyone likes. I didn't have any kids last year, so I may have on hand last Easter's hard candy. I can't eat candy, so that's leftover.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I did a big grocery shopping this afternoon. We held off buying our Halloween candy until now because we didn't want to be tempted. We bought an assortment of Mars chocolates: Twix, Snickers, Milky Way and M&M's. Our town didn't ban it but said they are strongly discouraging trick-or-treating and to leave a note on your door if you are not participating. We will put candy out for the kids but not open the front door. This way the kids who will be out in their costumes will still be able to get a chocolate treat. 🍫

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in an apartment complex and trick or treat isn't done here so it has been years since I have handed out candy. I always got the fun size candy bars, the candy that the kids call the good kind. My favorites are Mounds and Reese's cups. Gahanna is allowing trick or treating but they have a list of rules. Everyone still wears masks appropriate for COVID, trick or treaters are supposed to stay in small family groups and maintain distance from other groups, use hand sanitizer between houses and everyone gets a flu shot at least two weeks before. They recommend that people handing out candy have a table outside and have the wrapped candy in individual baggies laid out on the table for kids to take off the table, no hands dipping into a communal bowl.