Question of the Day - Monday, October 14, 2019

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends! :hellocomputer:

I wish America would make our Thanksgiving earlier so we could have more time between major holidays. But with as popular (and insane) as Black Friday has become; I don't think that many people will agree with me. It's practically a "holiday" in it's own right now. :rolleyes:

What kind of toothbrush do you use?

Yeah I'm short on question ideas this morning. ;) DH and I switched dentists when ours retired a couple years ago. The new place likes to suggest electric toothbrushes because "they do all the work!" I can't seem to agree. :dunno: At least the one I had before sure didn't. I liked it at first; but I feel like a manual brush does a better job. DH got another; more expensive one, and ended up disliking it. I'm too skeptical to spend big bucks on the ones they have for sale in their office. So manual it is!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a manual. I think electric brushes do just as well, so it's really just a matter of cost.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a manual, too. I buy a hard or medium one instead of using the soft ones the dentists hand out. Those soft brushes let so much tartar accumulate in my teeth that I've had to have several very expensive treatments. The hard or medium ones really get my teeth clean.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a manual, too. I buy a hard or medium one instead of using the soft ones the dentists hand out. Those soft brushes let so much tartar accumulate in my teeth that I've had to have several very expensive treatments. The hard or medium ones really get my teeth clean.
I've had dentists recommend the soft ones, actually. I think the hard or medium ones do more damage to the gums?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Electric spinning toothbrush. I tried the kind that brush up and down and hated it. But I love the spinning one and it seems to do a great job since my cleaning have been notably better since I started using it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a sonic toothbrush. It doesn't go up and down or spin, just vibrates a lot. I use it just like a manual toothbrush but it buzzes too, and apparently that loosens the plaque? I'm a little sketchy on the details, lol. Anyway it seems to work better than a manual toothbrush alone.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Basic electric toothbrush here. Mine and DH's teeth are awful (you're welcome, future kiddos) and it's what my dentist recommended. I don't know if I notice a difference per se but I do like the timer feature so I know I'm brushing my teeth long enough! We get knockoff replacement heads from Amazon that aren't terribly expensive.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a manual toothbrush. My dentist told me because of the arthritis in my fingers I should use an electric toothbrush but that just seems like a lot of trouble.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Manual brush, that's all I've ever used, despite the fact that my family had electric brushes and Water Piks in the past... I've been using a manual brush & dental floss all my life, so my teeth are in good shape. Years ago, one dentist told me I had hard enamel, which suits me just fine... nothing I need less right now than dental problems. I like the medium-to-firm brushes too, the soft ones don't seem to work as well. My current brush has those rubber gum massagers on each side, dunno if they really help but they don't seem to interfere too much either. I'd include a suitable emoji here, but evidently I can no longer do this following the website platform change.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I use a manual brush. The extra soft ones are best for my issues, but usually you have to get them from the dentist so I get the softest ones at the store. I like the wide dental tape instead of regular floss, but beggars can't be choosers and nobody wants to look at someone with spinach between their teeth, lol.

I have bad teeth and very few of them but they are clean. There is no excuse for tooth shaming[1]--I used to have Country Club perfect teeth but my parents never spent a dime on braces.

I didn't deserve the hugs, couches, and showers when I was homeless, the $20 bills in my guitar case when I was busking, and all the rides when I was hitch hiking any more than that grad student on their way home from their second job deserves to be told, "Why don't you ever brush your teeth? Get a job, you lazy drunken bum!"

[1]There is no shame worse than poor teeth in a rich world – Sarah Smarsh | Aeon Essays

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Manual toothbrush for me and a soft one works just fine, i.e. no fuss, no muss. ;)

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been using electric for years. I have soft enamel and the electric seems to clean better. After you get used to it being bigger, it seems easier. I wouldn't go back now. i also use the waterpik - I hate to floss.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently use a manual, but I do have an electric as well that needs replacement brushes. The manual I have is a soft brush.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just survived the dentist this morning!

Manual toothbrush here. I think the noise and whizzing from an electric toothbrush would give me dentist office flashbacks, lol.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I've had electric and the heads are so much more expensive than a new manual that you don't replace them enough. Lari is probably right about the noise and whizzing, though. I hadn't thought about that.Ugh.

PTSD sucks. My dentist office flashbacks are a lot better than they used to be, anyway, but manual really is the only option no matter how fake-virtuous and frugal my first post made me sound.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had electric and the heads are so much more expensive than a new manual that you don't replace them enough.
As someone posted earlier, now you can get knockoffs from Amazon (probably other online retailers too) that are the same as the name brand but a lot cheaper.
A manual cheapo from the drugstore.
The pets have a ultrasonic type that does a VERY good job.
I see your priorities are in order! :biggrin: