Question of the Day - Monday, November 30, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for the delay. It's been busy! Everyone is dragging after the 4 day weekend too. It's feeling very hard to be a responsible adult today. :crazy:

What is your favorite holiday decorating style for outdoors?

I know some people who don't celebrate Christmas but still enjoy the outdoor decorating in their neighborhoods; so hopefully everyone here feels welcome to answer. :)

I really enjoy houses done up with lights and some lighted displays. I don't understand the appeal of most inflatable decorations; but some are cute. But some people come up with really neat light displays. Colored lights are my favorite.

I also find the classic candles in the windows with green wreaths and red ribbons just very beautiful and timeless too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really care about it honestly. I think it's fine, but I don't really notice decorations much. I guess my mind is on other things. I might feel differently if I marry somebody who celebrates Xmas. Maybe it's imprinted on my brain that holidays are "bad", since they were always forbidden.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a variety of them as long as they are not mismatched with their blinking or are hung unevenly. The neighbor across the street has a string of lights around their door that goes all the way down one side and only a third down the other. They also have lights across the porch. The one strand that is almost in the middle of the porch blinks while the rest do not. Why?! Other than things like that, I love them! We do not put up any outside: I just enjoy other people's lights.

(We celebrate Yule and the Solstice.)

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
i don't mind outdoor lights as long as they're not blinking, the constant flashing really annoys me. My favorite are the icicles. I'm also not a fan of the big blow-up figures since our dog would bark at them thinking they were real. :lol: I've always put up decorations on the front door and inside the house for every major holiday.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always went the minimalist route with lights and decorations. A few strings of the white icicle lights hung from the gutters of the porch roof, a wreath on the front door, and on the square post at the top of the steps, a 3ft tall carolers group beneath a streetlamp, which I fitted with a miniature bulb to simulate a gaslight. The icicle lights are a thing of the past, however, as Michele says that I'm too old to be up on a ladder.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wanted to put up lights on my house but I could not do it by myself. I liked the lights Chevey Chase aaahad on his house in that Christmas vacation movie. I like houses that are covered in white lights and lots of them. I don't care for blow-up figures in the yard. I think they are tacky.

Meowzarrella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally don't celebrate any holidays during the winter but I do enjoy going around and looking at the lights. I also like tinsel on greenery. I hope to make my own wreaths for each season, maybe when money is a little less tight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like a variety of them as long as they are not mismatched with their blinking or are hung unevenly. The neighbor across the street has a string of lights around their door that goes all the way down one side and only a third down the other. They also have lights across the porch. The one strand that is almost in the middle of the porch blinks while the rest do not. Why?! Other than things like that, I love them! We do not put up any outside: I just enjoy other people's lights.

(We celebrate Yule and the Solstice.)
Ok that would bug me too. That’s kinda weird to go through the effort of decorating but not take the time to make it neat. :headscratch:

I’m not super picky; but it’s kind of bothering me that my tree is centered in a blocked doorway; but it doesn’t look centered from the kitchen. And its blocking a mistletoe decoration. But I’m going to live with it.:lol:

I do agree that the flashing ones can be really annoying. I know they trigger migraines and things for some people. I haven’t noticed too much of that lately. There is one house near my mothers who does coordinate lights to music. But not everything flashes or has movement. Its kind ofspread out and not super fast so it seems less overwhelming to me.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty much every house on my block decorates for Christmas but most do just house lights. Lawn decorations get buried in snow and ice so if you put them up you might be looking at them through April.

Fortunately the lower half of my house is brick so it’s easy to run a set of lights right above it. Ten minutes to put them up and take them down, no ladders needed. That is all I do and every few years I change the color of the lights. In the past there have been blue and white and then red and white lights. This year all green.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like classic lights. There was a house we always visited growing up that did lights, music, shadowboxes with displays, the works and it was always the coolest thing.

The trend of the lights projected onto the house bothers me for some reason. It just looks off to me.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't do outdoor lights. We really don't have any place logical to string them. I think inflatables are tacky at Christmas (I do have a huge black cat one on my roof for Halloween). I don't like huge, gaudy displays. I hang a real wreath on the front door, and make some pine garland on the porch railing--and maybe candles in the windows. I don't even like decorating the tree, so I don't. I just buy a fake one, pre-strung with white/clear lights.With all of these cats, I can't have a real tree and/or ornments anyway--which is fine with me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like classic lights. There was a house we always visited growing up that did lights, music, shadowboxes with displays, the works and it was always the coolest thing.

The trend of the lights projected onto the house bothers me for some reason. It just looks off to me.
I’ve always thought they look kind of lazy? I’m not sure if that’s the right word for it. Maybe incomplete? I saw one house here that used those in conjunction with some other lights and it looked better. I do wonder how it affects things inside their houses. Mooch would go nuts chasing lights when she was younger. I have claw marks in one wall from her getting excited over the lights from passing cars coming through our front door when we first moved in. :lol:

I have one light stake to light up the metal nativity out front. I pointed it between my house and the neighbors but I’m concerned it’s shining on her house too much. I just haven’t seen her outside to check. Its a solid red though; nothing moving and there is a big pine between it. But still! I don’t want to be rude or inconsiderate.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally don't celebrate any holidays during the winter but I do enjoy going around and looking at the lights. I also like tinsel on greenery. I hope to make my own wreaths for each season, maybe when money is a little less tight!
I have three wreaths because the spring and summer one work for both. I am hanging my Yule wreath tomorrow when the wind has died down, and I just made my son and his fiancee a Yule wreath. Thank goodness for JoAnn doorbusters and curbside pickup! I spent $25 and am counting it as one of their gifts this year. They just got it early. (I will ask them to send me a picture of it and post it later if they do.) Wreaths are the one "outdoor" decoration that I do, even if ours is technically in between the door and the screen door.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was young, I always liked catching a glimpse of a lit tree through windows of houses as we passed at night when were in the car. I like seeing some lights but nothing huge and I don’t do a big display myself. I do put some little red poinsettia lights around the border of a special garden that is beside the sidewalk. It lights the path and I don’t have to climb a ladder.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the Christmas lights the most. The white lights are my favorite, but I like the colorful ones too. They illuminate the dark, cold and dreary winter. I love local displays that small towns have and some neighbors have as it puts a little light and joy in this world.