Question of the Day - Monday, November 22, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My son is talking for the sake of talking right now and I almost put in today's month as July. :paperbag::doh2: We have been keeping really busy for the last week and that'll probably continue through this week and into the new year at this point! I'm trying to keep dinners this week simple since Thursday is Thanksgiving. I may even go ahead and cook all the meat I have at once so it's just ready to reheat and eat!

Do you eat leftovers?

When my mom and step-dad got married he wasn't used to eating leftovers. He grew up in a large family and I think he just cooked enough for each meal. Mom and I always had leftovers and I've never minded eating them. Sometimes I really look forward to it too. :lol2:

I really enjoy the Thanksgiving leftovers. After spending several days baking and cooking; it's nice to be off kitchen duty for several days! I generally do not cook on the weekends anyway. There are usually enough odds and ends from weekday meals that we can eat leftovers. And I don't like wasting food. This week I still have a little left from last Friday so that will probably be today's lunch. My dad brought a tray of spicy greens for his visit and I'm definitely not wasting those! :yummy:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These days I rarely have any because it's just the cats and me so I usually cook enough for one meal. Most meat I eat is very simply prepared by broiling or grilling it with just a bit of salt so the girls can have some too. If I want to add any additional seasonings or sauce, it's added after they have had their share or I will use the sauce as a dip.

When I did cook for DH, DD and me we did have leftovers sometimes. Often I would pack them for DH's lunch for work. Thanksgiving leftovers (turkey, stuffing and cranberry) went into sandwiches. Those sandwiches are better than the big meal IMO.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YES! Leftovers are basically a necessity. I always plan my meals with leftovers in mind due to my work schedule. I also always bring my own tupperware to family functions where leftovers will happen. (Our families always make too much food) I don't assume I will get some depending on who's there and what's for dinner, but I don't like taking other peoples containers or wasting plastic baggies or what not, so I come prepared, just in case.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, not much. Leftovers just don't taste good to me, especially hamburger and meat. I will eat leftover spaghetti, goulash, roast, and fried chicken, it is alright, but potatoes, most meat, etc. just tastes funny. Any leftovers I have I feed to the outside cats, or if they can't eat it, give it to the possums or raccoons, they eat about anything.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I can eat left overs for one, maybe 2 days.. and that is it. I have been this way my entire life.
My mom cooked practically every day... if not a meal, then a home cooked dessert.

When it was just me and my dad, I always made more than enough, so I could freeze some and prepare a couple of days for his supper. I would cook on both days of the weekend, so he had a variety. I also sometimes took leftovers to work, for lunch.

Now that it is me, I have too much food, no matter how much I cut down on a recipe. It is very difficult to cook for just one..

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When our son still lived at home, I cooked for a small army. He ate a lot of food. When he moved out, it took me a long time to try to cook for the two of us. I was constantly dividing recipes down for two people and some of my cookbooks have my penciled in amounts and comments. Still have trouble with rice and spaghetti sometimes. Rick loves leftover spaghetti, though, so it's not really a problem.

And sometimes now, I purposely cook extra so there will be leftovers. They'll either go in the freezer for later on or Rick will grab them for a quick lunch.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
As a child I got very sick from leftovers, so for the longest time I would never eat leftovers fearing another bad case of food poisoning. I got over that and put my left overs in containers. I know this sounds a little anal retentive, but I put dates on them as well and diligently throw out anything that has been around too long. I feel safer with that system. 😧