Question Of The Day - Monday, November 19, 2018

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How do you make your mashed potatoes?

Since my DH has been eating mostly gluten free I've been making mashed potatoes more. I grew up eating a lot of instant mashed potatoes but now yuck! I can't make myself like them!

So mostly I make them with butter and buttermilk. I don't always have gravy to go with it. I use the microwaveable steam & mash potatoes. Sometimes I add horseradish. That's yummy!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them plain, with butter, milk, and salt and pepper, but I use the electric mixer to mash them. If you haven't tried this, don't beat them too long, or they will get rubbery.

Sometimes I've added sour cream and snipped chives from the garden. My DIL makes twice baked potatoes with sour cream and sauteed onions and spinach. Delish!

Sometimes I add lavender, also from the garden. Yummy.

But I like instant potatoes, too. They are a boon for one person.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't make them often, but when I do, I like them with sour cream (or Greek yogurt for the extra protein), cheese and butter.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't really eat mashed potatoes, but mum loves them, so we make them a lot here, and always from scratch. We peel, chop and boil the potatoes, then drain and put them back in the pan for mashing. We usually mash with plain, natural yogurt and butter, yogurt and double (heavy) cream, or just plain sour cream.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer baked potatoes but mashed are good too. I mash them with melted butter, warm milk and S&P. I have put horseradish in them before. It is good. :yummy:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't make them often, but when I do it's with a little milk, butter, salt, pepper and garlic. I use a ridiculous recipe for Thanksgiving though with butter, cream cheese, 1/2 and 1/2, salt pepper and I still add a little garlic.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
For large gatherings, I make my mashed potatoes ahead of time, throw them in the fridge, then get them out and bake them in a casserole, with a wee bit of extra sharp Cheddar. Butter, warm milk, low-fat sour cream, low-fat cream cheese, salt and pepper. Whip them in the KA stand mixer. I usually make them the night before. I've also made them early the day of and put them in a crock pot. I've made horseradish mashed before and I think they're decadent. Also garlic mashed. Yum.

I'm kind of weird about the type of potatoes I use. Russets for baked, twice baked, and mashed. Yukon golds or reds for potato salad.

Recipe for my Party Potatoes can be found here: Recipes - Side Dishes And Vegetables

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We either use instant mashed potatoes or get potatoes from the supermarket and mash them up with a mashed potato masher.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If by scratch, milk, fresh chives, real butter (I try not to overload it), salt and pepper. Pretty basic. Sometimes I'll use buttermilk to give it a bit of a tang if I happen to have it in the house. I like them rustic, so I just mash them up with a large fork. If it's for company I'll do them more smooth and probably leave out the chives to serve on the side. I know some people don't care for them.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just do the basic - some milk,butter, S&P. If I am making them for myself, I just mash with a fork and put on butter and S&P. If for a group I use a mixer and use milk to get the right consistency.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are big mashed potato fans,and I think I've probably fixed them just about every way there is.My personal favorite is with fat free half and half,butter and cream cheese and salt and pepper,and I throw in a couple of smashed garlic cloves when I put them in the water to boil.I prefer to mash by hand.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I make them the old-fashioned way: boil and peel the potatoes and use a hand masher whle adding butter, whole milk, salt and pepper. Sometimes I substitute sour cream for the milk and add fresh chives.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I adore mash...
  • I use Dutch Cream potatoes when I can get them.
  • I peel them then steam them until they're soft enough to mash very easily.
  • They then go into a saucepan, hand mashed, then add a fair amount of butter, more hand-mashing, and then mix through.
  • Then I push it all to one side of the pan, put it on a low heat, add milk and in the milk I lightly heat fresh parsley and chives from the garden, sea salt and a little ground pepper.
  • When they're heated through I mix it all up.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i rarely make mashed potatoes, but i do enjoy them. :agree:

i like to hand mash the potatoes, i like them a bit lumpy. milk, butter, salt, and pepper. sometimes i'll add some garlic or chives -- i love either added in.