Question of the Day Monday November 14, 2016

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good Monday morning!  

I am taking over today's question for @MoochNNoodles  

Do you still subscribe to a local newspaper either in print or online? If so, what is the name of the paper and how much does it cost? 

I subscribe to The Orlando Sentinel online only and it's $1.99 a week. The print Sunday edition is $3.00. They send it to me digitally and there are SO MANY ads. Not really worth $3 IMO unless you really use the coupons. 

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I quit getting our local print paper a long time ago and started reading it online.  Then they started charging for that--$207 a year!  
  No thanks.  

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We quit getting our local newspaper as well, although I do read it here at work. Honestly, it's gotten too cost-prohibitive, whether in print or online, even if I would use the coupons. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't subscribe to paper newspapers or digital. I quit the home delivery years ago because getting rid of the stacks of newsprint was such a pain, and I didn't have much time to read while I was working either. Now that I'm retired, I have the time, but still don't look forward to all that newsprint. I get the news from TV and the Internet.

Lately, though, I feel like I am missing out on a lot of local news, so I'm reconsidering this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't subscribe to paper newspapers or digital. I quit the home delivery years ago because getting rid of the stacks of newsprint was such a pain, and I didn't have much time to read while I was working either. Now that I'm retired, I have the time, but still don't look forward to all that newsprint. I get the news from TV and the Internet.

Lately, though, I feel like I am missing out on a lot of local news, so I'm reconsidering this.
I had a free print subscription to the Wall Street Journal for a while. I kept them out back (unread 
) and used them to light the charcoal grill. I still have some.  

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My town doesn't have a local paper.  I sometimes buy the county paper but only in winter when we need it for helping to start fires LOL

At work, we get the NY Times and Wall Street Journal - I don't remember how much they are but I do know very pricey!

I rarely look at paper news anyway. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I put up the city's newspaper, when I remember. It is only 50 cents. It is really not worth that much!! all nonsense ads, and stuff.

I do subscribe to only one Boston paper for home delivery on Sundays. I enjoy reading it after Church while I am having my breakfast. If, for some reason, I do not attend Mass, then the paper is right there waiting for me! I just have to run downstairs for it. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I subscribe to The Washington Post on-line because it was my local paper for years (print and on-line) and it seems weird not to have access to it.  Fortunately, I don't pay much.  I subscribed through amazon.prime and got a free six month subscription.  After that the price is still pretty reasonable so I'll keep it.   

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Used to get home delivery of The NY Times, but service was occasionally haphazard so dropped that. I buy the Sunday NY Times & it costs $6. There is a newspaper in town, but I have zero interest in Connecticut news.

I subscribe to The New Yorker magazine print edition. Been reading it for decades & have no clue what it costs. Have no interest in reading it online.

Just dropped National Geographic print edition. A very very fine publication, but not holding my interest at the moment.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nope.  I read several online news sites, but I don't subscribe to any.  Nor in print.  I considered  subscribing to the local paper, just for local news, but read one cover to cover and it was so rabidly conservative I just couldn't.  It was very subtly applauding people who are insisting that climate change is not real.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I subscribe to the News and Observer, Raleigh NC. I don't really know how much it is (it's on auto pay on my credit card), but I really enjoy reading it. It's gotten a whole lot smaller and less content, which is sad.  I love newspapers. We get free online subscription but I almost never read it that way. 

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH buys the Chicago Tribune on Sunday only, I check the coupons and what's on sale then read the articles that interest me.  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We subscribe to the daily (county) newspaper, our town's weekly newspaper, plus a national Sunday paper. We also watch two TV newscasts every evening and read news sites like the NYT, Washington Post and The Guardian online.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i used to subscribe to my local newspaper, The Finger Lakes Times. the newspaper would be delivered to the 'tube' at the road in front of my house sunday through fridays. hmmm...i think it cost me $15 and some change per month. i canceled the subscription when my trash removal service costs went up by over $200 per year, to help offset the trash removal increase.

really, i mostly used the newspapers to light my wood stove. though i did occasionally read an article or two.

i've had almost a year of free Wall Street Journal newspapers, which is soon coming to an end. i earned the subscription by doing online surveys -- thank you, @Kat0121!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i used to subscribe to my local newspaper, The Finger Lakes Times. the newspaper would be delivered to the 'tube' at the road in front of my house sunday through fridays. hmmm...i think it cost me $15 and some change per month. i canceled the subscription when my trash removal service costs went up by over $200 per year, to help offset the trash removal increase.
Why is it that some places charge for trash removal & some don't? I suppose I do pay through property taxes, but I don't get a trash removal bill, per se.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I quit it because it got so expensive. We generally stop on Sunday after church and buy a copy of the local newspaper from a machine. The Sunday paper is $1.50. I just get it for the sale ads and the coupons.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it that some places charge for trash removal & some don't? I suppose I do pay through property taxes, but I don't get a trash removal bill, per se.
Do you live in a condo or gated community or something? It might be part of the homeowner's association fee. If not, usually it's either added onto your city bill or you have to contract with a trash company yourself. But if someone is picking it up, someone is paying for it ;).

I've never gotten a newspaper but my parents still do. They get the Sioux Falls Argus Leader. When I look at their website it says it's $24 a month but I don't know if my parents pay that or have some kind of discount.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I subscribe to the McCook Gazette, around 120.00/year. We get 4 daily papers and one weekend edition on friday. Most of the time it's only a few pages long, but it's nice to see what is coming up in the city,and at Christmas I love the ads and coupons. I have found that most online papers don't give you the whole paper like the printed one,  and if you're going to pay 10.00/month why not just get the daily paper?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you live in a condo or gated community or something? It might be part of the homeowner's association fee. If not, usually it's either added onto your city bill or you have to contract with a trash company yourself. But if someone is picking it up, someone is paying for it
No, we Iive in a private house. The city picks up trash very week so I imagine this is paid for by our property taxes.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time I bought a newspaper it was defective. I kept clicking my mouse and the pages never turned.