Question of the Day - Monday, May 9, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I woke up to a beautiful day after days of gloomy, dreary weather so today feels amazing outside. I had my grocery pickup this morning since yesterday was Mother's Day so the kids and I enjoyed waiting with the car windows down and the trunk open. It was beautiful out! It's also officially strawberry season here! The local orchard said they have an amazing crop this year too! I had 2 containers in my grocery order and they look great! The berries in one container were so big they must have come from the Promised Land or something! :lol: They are HUGE!!

What is your favorite Spring produce?

I really love fresh strawberries but I think in spring Asparagus might be king. It's best steamed fresh and you really only get good asparagus in the spring. I need to get by the orchard for some so I can steam it and top it with lemon juice and butter! :yummy:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what fruits and veggies are seasonal, I seem to be able to get what I want year round. Asparagus is my favorite, but I can get that year round I think.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to say asparagus.We have a friend that has greenhouses and sells at the local farmers market as well as a couple of health food stores in Springfield.I have been enjoying the heck out of his radishes and spring onions too.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strawberries. game misconduct game misconduct we have blood oranges aplenty here. My BIL, who is a truck driver, says they come from California. Says most of our citrus comes from California rather than Florida, even though Florida is much closer. Hope we are not taking your supply!
i never knew that i just know they are good even if a bit creepy looking :biggrin:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles Can you grow asparagus where you live? Once you've rooted it, asparagus grows like crazy. And it's perennial, so all you really need to do is keep the area weeded. We have a nice little patch in the garden and that keeps us supplied for a good month before the season is over.

From our garden, we love asparagus (sauteed in olive oil with a bit of Tuscan seasoning (Penzey) or fresh lemon juice. Sauté the ends first, then add the tips. Yum. And strawberries. We have a raised bed of nothing but strawberries. When they start producing, they'll go for a while. Strawberry shortcake, strawberry ice cream, a bowl of freshly sliced strawberries. And life is good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles Can you grow asparagus where you live? Once you've rooted it, asparagus grows like crazy. And it's perennial, so all you really need to do is keep the area weeded. We have a nice little patch in the garden and that keeps us supplied for a good month before the season is over.

From our garden, we love asparagus (sauteed in olive oil with a bit of Tuscan seasoning (Penzey) or fresh lemon juice. Sauté the ends first, then add the tips. Yum. And strawberries. We have a raised bed of nothing but strawberries. When they start producing, they'll go for a while. Strawberry shortcake, strawberry ice cream, a bowl of freshly sliced strawberries. And life is good.
Yes it grows all over here! We have super sandy soil and that's supposed to be great for it. I struggle with crab grass in my yard so I'm not sure if I should bother trying. It even takes over my raised beds and I lost the battle for a strawberry patch too. :rolleyes2: