Question of the Day - Monday, May 17, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's our last week of school!! :banana1: We've accomplished a lot of our yard work and things outside. Especially now that we have grass growing (in most places) and we got the yellow rose bush I've been wanting for Noodles.:rbheart: DH cleaned out the garage again last weekend so he can get the kayak trailer down so we can go soon before it's too hot. And I'm trying to see what else needs to get done from our list.

What are your plans for summer?

So far we still need to paint the shutters and doors of the house. That feels like it should have been a simple spring project but DH got googling and was convinced we had to take them down to see if they are paintable. It turns out (as I suspected) they are already painted and taking them down and putting them back up isn't as simple as just slapping some paint on them would have been. My mother's shutters are easy to take down and put back up; but ours are different. :cringe: Of course that now needs to be done around the heat too since it's warming up again. :rolleyes2:

Other than that; it's gardening and catching up around the house. We usually head to the beach once or twice. I don't care for the traffic or the heat so it's just not a favorite thing for me to do either.

I *might* make some pickles this summer. If I can get cukes at a farm stand for it. Canning them takes time but they are SO good! :yummy:

DH likes when I do a marathon session of making zucchini and summer squash breads for the freezer. I didn't plant those either so that might be up to the farm stand visits also.

DS is also going to be doing some extra math work this summer. He's been avoiding math for the last few weeks. We've gotta keep practicing those multiplication facts. :cringe:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're having a new roof put on the house ($$$!!!!), and I have a ceiling fan to install. I already fixed our wobbly back fence and expanded one raised planting bed. Once the roofers are done, I want to paint the beadboard ceiling of our front porch. My other construction project is building a bin to hold the grass clippings and other waste so it can compost better. I have the lumber and wire mesh; all I need is time and cooperative weather.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trying to relax and work on my own health.
I have my internship which will still continue and I might try to work on some school assignments. Either to catch up or to get a head start, depending on how this semester ends.
Besides that, I want to take some time for my hobby. Hopefully I'll finally have the time for a bit of writing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're having a new roof put on the house ($$$!!!!),
After paying for a septic system this winter and reconstructing our lawn this spring; you have my sympathy! :cringe:

I saw a neat looking porch ceiling on one of those old house pages. Apparently it's for superstitious reasons; but the ceiling was a light blue color. It looked really nice though. Like cheerful and refreshing. The house had an antique rain chain off the porch too. :cloud9:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What are your plans for summer?
I let everything go outdoors last summer due to the lockdown. I just wasn't motivated. :frown: So this summer I plan to make up for what didn't get done last year. I want to dig up all the weeds and unsightly plants on one side of the house and in one section of the backyard. Then put down mulch or stones, haven't decided which yet. One or two of our mugo pine shrubs that I planted when the kids were young are slowly dying so I have to take them out. And I desperately need to get to the garden center for my annuals. By the time I'm done maybe I'll build up my muscles! :lol: Right now that's the extent of my summer plans.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After paying for a septic system this winter and reconstructing our lawn this spring; you have my sympathy! :cringe:

I saw a neat looking porch ceiling on one of those old house pages. Apparently it's for superstitious reasons; but the ceiling was a light blue color. It looked really nice though. Like cheerful and refreshing. The house had an antique rain chain off the porch too. :cloud9:
We have been quoted over 18K for the roof, including new gutters with shields and new siding on the 3 dormers, plus install a vent for the bathroom exhaust instead of venting it into the soffit where it is now- but shouldn't be.
Painting a porch ceiling a light blue, as I understand it, is supposed to simulate looking up at the sky.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:i plan on killing all the flies and roaches that invade my apartment each summer to escape the heat and drought :rolleyes3:the flies perch above my front door in the hallway to my apartment then fly inside or crawl in the door frame roaches crawl in from the shower and sink drains lucky graycie is a good bug hunter and catches what i miss

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
We're having a new roof put on the house ($$$!!!!), and I have a ceiling fan to install. I already fixed our wobbly back fence and expanded one raised planting bed. Once the roofers are done, I want to paint the beadboard ceiling of our front porch. My other construction project is building a bin to hold the grass clippings and other waste so it can compost better. I have the lumber and wire mesh; all I need is time and cooperative weather.
~ Look into fiberglass shingles. Like the old Spanish tile roofs they can last forever if installed properly. ☔👌

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Finish up my master's degree, try to enjoy some time in my backyard, finish up my landscaping after my wrist heals up, do some more work in the yard and probably stay inside whenever it's too hot (since my heat threshold is 75 degrees, I'll probably be inside a lot).
Spoken like a true Minnesotan! 75 is about my threshold too.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Finish up my master's degree, try to enjoy some time in my backyard, finish up my landscaping after my wrist heals up, do some more work in the yard and probably stay inside whenever it's too hot (since my heat threshold is 75 degrees, I'll probably be inside a lot).
~ OK ... Three places you can stay away from : Texas, Florida☔ & Arizona .🔥🌞

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow. I feel your pain. We're having new siding put on our house. Probably not until more toward fall, depending on our contractor. We replaced our roof about seven years ago.

We've been talking about taking a long weekend and going out along Route 6 in northern PA. It's very scenic (or it used to be). We'd end up in western PA to spend a day with friends. Then head for home. I don't know if we'll get it done. Our problem is that our petsitter got out of the business during quarantine and now she doesn't want to start it back up again. And we trusted her. It's hard to find somebody to do a good job with your kids.

We do have a few day trips planned, but nothing exotic.