Question Of The Day - Monday, May 13, 2019

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My bear is pretty threadbare around his neck, as in I can see through the threads to the stuffing. I swear one day his head will come off :eek2: Might need Mom to do "surgery" on him although I'm not sure how threadbare fabric can be stitched back up.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have crocheted bedspread that my grandmother made. I think my mom got it when she was first married - probably in the early 50's. That would make it at least 70 and my grandmother had it a long time before that. I am guessing it is close to 100.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two pieces of furniture from the 1880’s, a drop front desk and a tall chest of drawers. The desk was “ebonized” with the dark nearly black finish and was in tough shape when I bought it. But when I stripped the finish off there was gorgeous birdseye and tiger maple underneath.

The chest of drawers had been stripped and painted bright red when someone gave it to me. I removed the red paint and brought it back to its deep mahogany finish. And unlike most older dressers, the drawers just glide perfectly as they open and close. If my house were to be on fire it would be the first thing I would save (after Willow, of course)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through my box of school and childhood memories, so pretty much everything in there is the oldest stuff I have. My mom apparently saved the hospital bills from when I was born and when I had surgery 6 months later.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a ton of things that are really old. My father was a collector, and he collected all sort of things. Some of them I've sold on eBay, like a 1794 set of Wealth of Nations. I've got furniture, photos, wedding gloves, Bibles and other things dating from 1850 to 1910. There's even a clothes iron from about 1860 that was made on my great grandmother's plantation in Alabama.

A lot of people have gone to a lot of trouble to save this memorabilia, and I hope someday my sons will too.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have my great-grandmother's wedding China, probably 1902? It's packed away in a box. As much as I'd love to display it, I don't trust the cats. I also have her hutch, an old mirror and a desk. I have a set of ivory combs, brushes, buttonhooks, and such that were hers. And a braided rug that she made. I have a small rocking chair that I used to rock myself to sleep in at night as a little girl, when I stayed with Grandma. I'd fall sleep and she'd carry me up to bed. Oh, her cookie cutters and some of her old Christmas decorations were given to me, too.

Rick has a rocking chair, a cedar chest, and a secretary's desk from his maternal grandfather. We have some old dishes from his paternal grandmother, too.

I would think that the wedding China is probably the oldest item.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those of you talking about your old Teddy Bears, made me think that I still have my Cat. The thing looks so pitiful though. It used to look like a white Persian, with long fluffy fur. But my mom washed it (when I was kid) and it now looks more like a "poodle cat". All the long fluffy fur curled/matted up. I still love her though.:)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I was born, Grandma gave me a white stuffed bunny. There are so many pictures of me with my bunny. And I kept it for quite a while. In 1972, we were hit by Hurricane Agnes (central PA) and Rick and I pretty much lost everything in the flood. After we were allowed back into the area, I walked into our bedroom and dropped to my knees. My white bunny had been on our bed. We had to throw him away. That, more than anything else we lost in the flood, broke my heart.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I saved my childhood toy chest which was handmade. They don't make them like they used to.;) It has survived every move with me since graduating college and into my adult years.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have these little bags that you can wash teddy bears in now to protect them.
A pillow case pinned shut with safety pins works just as well and keeps plastic eyes from being dinged and scratched up too much.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was born, Grandma gave me a white stuffed bunny. There are so many pictures of me with my bunny. And I kept it for quite a while. In 1972, we were hit by Hurricane Agnes (central PA) and Rick and I pretty much lost everything in the flood. After we were allowed back into the area, I walked into our bedroom and dropped to my knees. My white bunny had been on our bed. We had to throw him away. That, more than anything else we lost in the flood, broke my heart.
Oh, I am so sorry about you losing everything. That must've been traumatic.