Question of the Day - Monday, March 23, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's chilly for us today but it is looking very spring like outside. My redbud tree is starting to bloom, my hedges have a nice green blush and the bradford pears are already loosing petals and showing little green leaves. I should have daffodils soon (everyone else already does but mine are always late) and I see lots of my tulips up; but not in bloom just yet. My birds are very active at the feeders. Chester, our regular squirrel, climbed the screen door to the feeder right in front of me today. I'm 90% sure Chester is in fact a male now. 😯 😆

What is your favorite backyard bird? 🐦🦉🐤🦆🕊🦅

My favorite is the chickadee but I really love having the cardinals, bluebirds, finches and titmice. Oh and the little juncos when they come through. The woodpeckers are fun to watch too. Hummingbirds are a nice treat to spot too. They like my flowers but they are so fast!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine is the Cardinal. We had the male cardinal stop by checking out the cat food yesterday.
I have cardinal things all around my house. They were my Grandma's favorite bird and the first one my Grandpa taught me to identify. They remind me of them. I have a few cardinal things that were originally theirs too; but I've added to the little collection. :redheartpump: I have at least 2 cardinal families that are regulars at my feeders. They bring their young too. :redheartpump:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two favourites that come to my feeders daily. They are the greater spotted woodpecker and the nuthatch

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If owls count then they win by a landslide. There is one that likes to hang out in the tree behind the house and hoot late at night. :heartshape:

We have lot of birds here. I love them all really.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cedar Waxwings. They're adorable, and I love how they line up on a branch and pass the fruit down.

I also love owls, although I feel like I have to watch my Chihuahua all the time when he's outside in case the owls get any big ideas :/. What's really cool is that their hooting is. . .idk, supersonic? You can feel it even when you can barely hear it.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like ones that I don't see that often, so I rarely see goldfinches. I also like chickadees. I see them a lot, but they are still one of my favorites.

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indigo Bunting. I don't see a lot of them but they are pretty.

My daffodils are behind in bloom time too compared to the roadside ones I see...

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
House sparrows are by far my favourite. They are very common in my area and I find it easy to build a relationship with them. For example, in the summer time, they love it when you attach a sprinkler to your hose so that they can play and bathe in the water. They will stop by almost every single day for this. They also love when you leave seeds for them.
sparrows-3422216_1920-1024x683.jpg
house-sparrow_001_winter_poland_hederabaltica_flickrccby-sa-2.0_adult-male.jpg
apa_2015_traceylowrey_283294_house_sparrow_kk.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are these birds that gather on the sides of the road eating spilled grain all winter. I don't see them in the summer, or maybe they just don't flock up. I can't get a very good look at them, but from what I can see while driving by, they look like pale chickadees but are robin-sized. I've looked at all the bird ID pages and still can't figure out what they are. But I like seeing them, a little splash of life during the winter.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like ravens, crows, and owls. I get unreasonably excited when one is in the yard. I have only seen an owl once in our yard, but I hear it often enough.

My cats like all the birds that come to our feeder. I know some are sparrows. They are okay.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have cardinals, blue jays, chickadees, sparrows, grackles, starlings, robins, goldfinches, and the random Baltimore oriole, but my favorite would have to be the hummingbird.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have identified about 30 species in my yard. I have downy and rose breasted woodpeckers. Also goldfinches and purple finches. I have heard up to 6 great horned owls calling at once from different directions, though I rarely see them. I love owls And I love the family of Carolina wrens that has nested in my carport for 20 years.

But my favorite is the feisty chickadee. They are the only bird that will visit one feeder when I am filling the other one. I have read that they are a difficult bird to tag because they are experts at biting you between the fingers! And if you are patient, they will eat from your hand. There are cardboard cut-outs with a hand sticking out which you put birdseed on. When they start eating from the cardboard figure's hand, you replace the cardboard figure with yourself. Many people have had success with this method.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I love them all. For cuteness and perkiness: the chickadee. For sleek, black beauty and intelligence: the crow. For my Mom: the ruby-throated hummingbird.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put out nuts and sunflower seeds for the birds and squirrels. I don't get many birds. Mostly Cardinals, Blue Jays, Black birds and two woodpeckers. I get some small birds but I don't know what they are. I am not a bird person. My favorite birds are the Cardinals.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the Chickadees because they are here all winter long and so they have to be tough little birds. And I love how they don’t hang around and hog the feeders. They swoop down, grab a seed and go off to eat it.