Question Of The Day - Monday, March 18, 2019

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really; as a matter of fact, It's snowing right now. The only thing is the stores are pulling their snow blowers and replacing them with lawn mowers, otherwise it's same-old, same-old.
My sympathies. And if your area is like mine, stores have been out of salt, snow shovels, roof rakes and snow throwers for weeks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ate a loquat from my loquat tree yesterday.

The temperature is also becoming uncomfortably warm but the garden is lovely.
I LOVE loquats! I haven't had a fresh one in over 20 years though, since we left Japan :/. Where do you live?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Mid 50’s coming later in the week. The last time it was that warm was in October of last year. If I wasn’t concerned there might be a flooded basement part 2 I would be pretty excited. And when Spring does come I have about 50 new tulip bulbs that should be coming up.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was 68 a day last week. Then it snowed off and on for three days. I did see a flock of Canadian geese, though!

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two 80+ degree days in a row, the freesias have blossomed, and swarms of painted lady butterflies like I have never seen. Spring is here.

With summer not far behind, I just completed 25’ of covered walkway so my stray/feral crew will have some more shade because hot will soon be here.
This is in the back yard along side the garage.
47FCA2A0-46E0-4DE6-99DB-E7255E819F68.jpeg

34B79481-F38F-4D8D-8BB3-3A6BEF9FCD14.jpeg

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Supposed to get up into the 60s in the next few days to a week here. My crocus came up about 2 or 3 weeks ago, but have been snowed on and buried at least 3 times since then. They look a little beat up but there are still a couple blossoms left. Daffodils are growing like crazy, and might be blooming in the next few days, buds are getting fat. Still no sign of trees budding yet, however.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. The pear trees in our yard have blossomed. Also, robins are flying around. I have seen flowers blooming. More than anything, the pollen is falling and people are wiping their noses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot about the startlings coming back, my feeders empty quickly then, but they are a sure sign of spring!
They never really left us this year. They don't come to my feeder too often; but they enjoyed the suet block this winter. I didn't stop them even if they are piggies. They shared with the other birds. I only got upset when they were pulling whole plants from my garden one year!! :angrywoman: But now that the house next door has been torn down and I won't have dozens nesting in that houses roof I may not have so many this year. :rolleyes:

The big blackbirds are the problem guys for me. Sometimes I have to switch my feeder to a seed they don't like for a while because they really go to town on it! And they scare everyone else away. :hmmm:

We've had some heavy frosts; but I do see more green in my yard today. Especially over the septic tank area where it's raised a bit so DH didn't mow it down as far last fall. I'm hoping my kids will be getting more regular outside time! The forecast looks good! :jive:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Likewise... little brats LOL
And guess who just showed up...the big pesky blackbirds. :hmmm: :crazy: I set the feeder down on the top of my steps right by the house. Hopefully that discourages the big guys. I'm debating buying a 2nd feeder to hang with the safflower seeds whenever they show up. Then I can just quickly switch it out till they go away. We had such a good variety of birds this winter. Especially woodpeckers. I have really enjoyed it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw crocus in bloom today. They are actually right next to the daffodils that I am watching but they are so short I have to be right there to see them. I checked on the daffodils for buds and they do have buds, then I saw the crocus.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in Florida from last Wednesday until last night. When I left there was tons of snow on the ground. When I got back, most of the snow had melted, so that has been the most significant sign of spring.