Question of the Day - Monday, March 1, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy MARCH!! Spring starts this month!! (Or Fall.) But SPRING!! :bliss: :bunnydance::dance:It is deffinitely starting to feel like early spring here. I've been seeing robins and I can see the very beginning of buds on one tree next door. I need to check on my crocus to see if any are popping up. I've also seen several garden centers getting ready for the year. :yess:

What are your plans for the upcoming season change?

For us it's all about the outdoor house projects. I can start getting my gardens prepped soon but I won't plant anything for a bit. I'd like to be smart and spread the work out some more this year. I've been wanting a yellow rose bush for Noodles. :rbheart: Something light yellow; not too deep. With our yard being torn up this winter it kind of gave me a new spot to plant something. I'd like a few more lilacs too. Unfortunately the garden center I got my last lilacs from closed this winter. I need to see

For DH; he's focused on getting grass to grow in the yard again. It's a muddy mess out there right now. :cringe: And then it's time to do something about the shutters. Right now they are red but fading and the red has bled down onto the house below them some. I don't think you can see it from the road or anything; but still. I'm thinking a nice green would really refresh the house without costing a ton. I'm "over" red. Nothing so dark as a hunter; but not as light as a sage either. There is a new building near us done in a green with white trim and it looks amazing! I wouldn't want a whole green house; but green would look good with our siding. He has to power wash the house again too. Last year we borrowed a power washer and tiller from a friend; but that friend is still recovering from surgery and just starting to bear weight again. So we aren't asking him! Maybe a local rental place will have them for a good price.

We were supposed to have our big maple tree pruned this year but we might put it off. It was going to be done last summer but then a storm made a ton of tree damage and that kept the tree company busy until after all the leaves were down. If they come now; my yard will be even muddier! So DH was thinking we should wait.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bunch of hedge and shrub planting planned. One side of my property has nothing that separates it from my neighbors. It wasn’t an issue until my neighbor moved summer before last because she was my age and rarely used her back yard. But now there is a family and dog and we both need some privacy. So I am planning on putting in some fast growing hedges or maybe even a tree or two as soon as the ground thaws.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have several projects in the hopper, including painting the exterior of the house and putting in a couple of raised planting beds. I'll have to rent a tiller to break up the ground and work in soil amendments, and I'm still undecided as to edging, whether to use wood or stone. I still have at least another 6 or 7 weeks before I can even think about putting anything in the ground, though.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to clean off the swingset in our backyard. It came with a baby swing J should be big enough to enjoy this summer. Get out on walks and go outdoor places like the zoo and outdoor dining.

If anyone is doing yardwork or planting, it's my husband. I kill plants!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's already started digging into his bees....they've already had parts of a pollen patty and a grease/sugar/honey patty.He's been busying him self out there cleaning older frames,getting ready to put in new foundation,etc. etc.He mentioned the other day he needed to check and see what needed to be pruned in the garden,so I'm assuming that means all the berries and the potato spot for this year needs to be tossed about as they'll need to be planted in a couple of weeks or so.Never ending but the results are always wonderful!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We usually go straight from winter to summer here and barely get spring anymore. But one project I would like to do is get rid of our old shed, put up a new one and move it to a different spot in the yard. Also the weeds last year were horrific due to a lot of rain in April and May so I need to be on top of them incase we get a repeat this year.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None. I like the nice weather before it gets too hot, but the ants are here already and I completely hate that.
spray or pour a mix of dawn dish soap and water onto any nests /holes the ants use around out sideto gain access to your home:lol:i get em in from our wall furnace so i use spray bottle to spray into the furnace

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My upcoming plans are to complain until it's winter again
If you like winter that much, you should move to upstate NY. If you blink, you will miss summer. July and August, but the last two weeks of August have cold nights.

I don't really have much for plans, just enjoy the warm weather and go on my walks outside. If we get the vaccine, I would like to try to get together with friends, if I'm well enough.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, so many things need doing!

Clean up the deck, repaint, clean the outside of the house and all the windows.
Clear all the dead wood out of the enclosure, make any repairs that need doing to the fence, check all the outdoor cat trees are still intact.
Work on the garden! That's the best part, I can't wait to see some flowers again.

Then the fun things.

Go on a couple of long hikes.
Day trip to Nagano for horse riding in the mountains and trip to an onsen.
Hang up the hammock and get ready to enjoy the cherry blossom.

:cloud9:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of yard cleaning will be needed! We have tons of fallen branches to pick up and the stones need to be raked back into the driveway. We need to do some serious grass seeding and, in fact, Dear Richard mentioned that now would be a good time to start seeding, esp around the WeShed area.

Rick wants to build the fourth raised bed, so it's ready for planting. And we need to get the garden ready to plant. We won't plant anything until sometime in May, but we'll need to get started on soil prep.

I will wash all the windows in the house and in the WeShed. Clean the decks on both.

And we'll open the pool around the middle of May.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Work on getting someone out to fix our house.....water and carpenter ant damage from last year...:(....but we have to wait for the snow to be gone. I have to call the city to force my neighbor to demolish and remove his garage (I think that's where the carpenter ants came from...it's actually collapsing, and poses a threat) I also want to build planter boxes for the deck, plant veggies for my garden, do a complete overhaul on some of my flower beds and of course, clean up the yard (the regular clean up stuff).