Question of the Day - Monday, June 5, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It’s our first week of summer vacation. :dazzler: I was so ready for it!! :lol: I’m giving myself a few more days before I truly dive into summer house projects. I really need to spend time with some books!:read: Those can be a vacation right from home.:cloud9: A few authors have released books in the last few months that I haven’t had time to read yet! Normally I’m trying to resist reading when a preorder downloads after midnight and I’m still awake. :paperbag: I’m hoping to get by a used bookstore soon too. :anticipation: I can’t wait to see what goodies I find!

What is your preferred reading medium? Ebook? Paperback? Newspaper? Magazines? Hardback?

I read ebooks a lot for fiction. But for nonfiction or especially something requiring studying, I still like holding a physical book. I’ve tried digital magazines when they came with print subscriptions. They are neat because you can interact to see more or less text and information. But I still enjoy print magazines better. I guess it a book has illustrations or diagrams; print just works better. I know colleges (and some grade schools) use e-textbooks but I really question how well people learn from them. I know my eye doctor was unhappy with all the e-learning kids were doing and really stressed taking breaks when DS was there.

I guess the only thing I don’t like are hardbacks. They are just too heavy and cumbersome when you try to read reclined. That’s where ebooks get the advantage over everything else!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hardback or paperback for me. Our library has stocked a tad bit oversized paperback treated with something that makes the covers floppy and the spine doesn't break, like them a lot. I got hooked on reading when I was a kid from comicbooks. I always had a book with me whenever I was going someplace where I knew I would be waiting in line, sometimes I still do. I get a lot more sidelong glances now than I did then 😸

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer hardback or paperback, but I will read ebooks for fiction. Nonfiction absolutely needs to be a physical copy. I need to be able to flip through nonfiction books to refer back to information and I don't like how ebooks work with that.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm opposite in that I really prefer textbooks in ebook format. I had to do e- textbooks for a few of my grad classes and found them so much less cumbersome. Plus when I had to find the definition of something I could just search for the term and it would bring me straight to the page rather than trying to remember where in the 50 page chapter things were.

For fiction, there's nothing better than the physical book.

Currently, my favorite medium is board books because they're the hardest for Tod-zilla to destroy.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to reading, I'm omnivorous- with the exception of electronics. Paperback, hardcover, or magazines, I read and like them all. When I was just a little kid, my mother would read to me. Then, I would pester the snot out of her by taking A book and asking "What's this word?, and, What's that word?" I like to have driven her crazy, but when I started kindergarten, I could already read.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love holding a book in my hand but sadly my eyesight makes reading them more difficult as I age. I use my Kindle primarily now. I still buy hardcover books if they are something special and collectible (like if I can get the author's signature) or heavy on visual content. But for general reading the Kindle is perfect. Now if I could only get through my library of books waiting to be read lol. I'm sure there's at minimum 5 on queue right now.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely the physical copy. I have a few very old copies of old(er) books and I cherish them. But I'll happily read an e-book or listen to an audio book, too!
I love a good hard back book, but I like it to be the type that will lay open on it's own vs. having to hold it open.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At home, nothing beats holding an actual book in your hands. While travelling, I love my kindle. Dozens of books in one easy to transport tablet.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ebooks or paper books (either paperback or hardcover). Depends on the book and where I'm reading. With the Kindle I can read at night with the lights off, which is an advantage.