Question Of The Day - Monday, July 22, 2019

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
There's a toad living under our front step I call Toady McToadface. Did you know they live around 15 years in the wild? Captive toads have lived to be 50.
"Toady McToadface"! :crackup:

I've relocated many critters around here but never with my bare hands. I always use a cardboard box or broom and dust pan.

My grandsons have a new bearded dragon and wanted me to see it. I didn't want my 4 year old grandson to think grandma was a scaredy cat so I had to hold it and pet it. It wasn't too bad. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes. I had a toad living in my front garden and I named him Sean. He would let me pick him up and seemed to know when I was out front because he would come out. There are toad houses you can buy but I didn't know about them at that point in time. I don't do snakes though.
I have some in my potted flowers and boxes every year. DD and I named a bigger one out front a few times. We also had names for 2 big grasshoppers that were living in my beans a few years ago. And a big praying mantis. All were avoided as far as touching though. I would talk to the grasshoppers and tell them to scoot out of the way so I could pick the beans. They seemed to listen. :lol:

DD now wants a toad house. I really should do a fairy garden with her anyway. That's all right up her alley!
There's a toad living under our front step I call Toady McToadface. Did you know they live around 15 years in the wild? Captive toads have lived to be 50.
:eek2: Wow! I had no idea! I've always found frogs around here but this year I seem to have a surplus of frogs and dragon flies. All the frogs have been about the size of a quarter to a half dollar. So small. I guess that would be between 2 and 3 centimeters? It's amusing me because we just watched Disney's The Princess and the Frog for the first time the other day and now we have frogs everywhere. :lol:
"Toady McToadface"! :crackup:

I've relocated many critters around here but never with my bare hands. I always use a cardboard box or broom and dust pan.

My grandsons have a new bearded dragon and wanted me to see it. I didn't want my 4 year old grandson to think grandma was a scaredy cat so I had to hold it and pet it. It wasn't too bad. :lol:
Um yeah my grandkids will get a no thank you from me. :lol: Thankfully the most unusual pet my kids have asked for is a chicken. And DS specified "when he grows up." :yess: But those I'd almost consider so we could have eggs and some good bug control outside in the gardens. At least guinea hens are good for that I've heard.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to be one of those people who picks up a spider and puts them outside, but you know the vacuum cleaner just seems so much safer. :paranoid:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I've picked up tons of different animals...Squirrels, chipmonks, moles, mice etc. Snakes. Bugs. Most things don't bite unless it's a snapping turtle then it gets moved with the shovel. Spiders I won't kill because they eat mosquitoes. I do kill mosquitoes. They bite and hurt. I use larve prevention grower in my rain barrel otherwise they are so out of control. I don't like wasps/hornets and if they get in the house-they either get smacked or shoo out teh door if they are close enough. Bee does plenty catching of bugs. She often is seeing swatting at mosquitoes in the evening when she's hanging out with me. It's funny to see a cat sitting up on her hind legs with front paws going fast swatting at the bugs. Or she just eats them.

I had a toad in my garden this morning..it scared the bejeasus out of me and sprayed it with a bit of water to help keep him cool-it was piping hot this morning at 78 degrees and high humidity. Down out back where my tire garden is, there's a huge frog/toad living. It's about the size of a baseball. The thing is huge. It's kind of swampy back there so not surprised to see it hanging out...I didn't know they live to be 15!

As a kid, I had no fear of bugs or critters...but we do use mouse traps in the house..theres just way too many mice to let live in the house..

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I know that it will not seriously harm me, I have no issues with it. I love spiders and only move them if they are going to get injured or are one of Ohio's "bad" spiders. We get brown and Mediterranean recluse spiders. I have a scar on my shoulder from a brown one. I do not see them often, but they get moved on paper or in a cup. Same goes for yellow and bullheaded sacs, parsons, woodlouse, bold jumpers, and grass spiders. I think bold jumpers are adorable, though! They have such cute faces! (I have a rose bellied Chilian tarantula named Oona.)

Frogs and toads are cute, and I have no issues with them. The only snakes I see around our house are garter snakes. I love them, too. I have no problems moving them, either.

I cannot handle mice, rats, moles. They terrify me. I have rodent repellent around the house and the shed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toads live to fifteen?! Poor opossums only have a two year life span, I always feel really sorry for the ones hit on the road, their life is short enough!

Puff Kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not scared of creepy crawlies or other critters, I just don't want them inside. Thankfully, my cats only go outside using a harness and a leash so they can't catch anything and bring it in. The occasional bug found inside usually gets scooped up in something and released off my balcony unless my cats get to them first. I don't believe in killing other creatures.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as they're not venomous, spiders are good to have in your yard, they keep the bug population down. Same with lizards... I wish my kittehs wouldn't kill so many lizards, but AZ seems to have an unlimited supply. Like spiders, snakes are no problem as long as they're not dangerous... they keep the rodent population in check. Not that we have any rodents on the property, the kittehs do a fine job of keeping rats & mice away. Rattlers and such I simply avoid or guide in a different direction, I used to see plenty of those on climbing trips. Bats get a bad rap, most are good to have on your side. :thumbsup:

I don't have any problem with critters in the field, say when I go camping... it's their home, so I live and let live, only the venomous critters get shooed off or whacked. As someone else said, I'm not into killing any critters unnecessarily, and I routinely trap & release bugs which somehow manage to enter my home, if the cats don't get to 'em first, LOL. Kinda like an indoor safari, yeah? I keep a clear red plastic cup and postcard handy to relocate bugs, but sometimes the kittehs beat me to the "rescue." Meh, additional protein & roughage for the cats, no worries. I think all three kittehs have figured out that stinging insects aren't quite as tasty, LOL. :eek:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I stick with the domesticated animals as far as touching, picking up or petting. I actually have the unrealistic over the top fear of snakes, I don't hate them but I am afraid of them. I won't even go into the exhibit area for snakes at the zoo.

KaylisOwner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You won't catch me picking up anything that isn't a domestic animal. I'm not afraid of them... I just don't like them. Especially reptiles and amphibians.