Question of the Day - Monday, July 13, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm posting early because my Monday is looking busy! :dizzycat:

Where did you go the first time you flew on an airplane?

I was 2; almost 3 when my mother and grandmother took me to Disney World; so Orlando, Florida. I have a few memories of being on the plane and moving from sitting with my mom to Grandma in another row. I also remember my Grandpa giving me a wings pin at the airport. I still have it somewhere too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the first time was when I was 5, almost 6, when we moved to Japan. A 17-hour flight is a crazy way to get your wings! Back then the airlines were allowed to take kids on tours, meet the pilot, look at the cockpit, etc. And we got some major swag bags, besides our gold wing pins. I honestly think my mom still has some of the toys/puzzles we got on that flight (or at least they say JAL on them; they may have been from a later flight). After that we flew ALL THE TIME so it was no big deal, but I'm pretty sure that was the first.

I used to get airsick up until I was 10 or 11. Unfortunately, I didn't get sick ON the plane, but afterward while we were walking on the jetway to the airport. So I learned to take a barf bag with me off the plane. Sorry to say I caused a lot of cleanup before I figured that out :/.

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was 5, and my mum took me to Florence, Italy. Back then the rules on aeroplanes were far more relaxed, and as well as getting a goodie bag full of gifts from the flight attendant they also took me into the cockpit to meet the captain!

I had a snowman teddy that I took everywhere with me - naturally I carried him on to the plane but I also made him his own tiny passport, which they even stamped for me :blush:

I remember it all so well! Of course that was back when even planes had a smoking section! I doubt anyone would be allowed in the cockpit nowadays.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, pictures would suggest I went to Disney world as a toddler, but we might've road tripped that one.... I remember going when I was 4ish by plane. I remember we had to stay at my aunt's house overnight because our flight left early in the morning. She lived in Milwaukee so maybe we were flying out of Chicago? No idea!!! The only other thing I remember was chewing on Zebra Stripe gum to help our ears pop. I think me and my brother got wings, too.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was so young I only know it was around Los Angeles area. I was probably about 5 yrs old. My uncle flew my Mother and 1 other sibling and me around in his small silver plane. I remember it being very loud, and there were headphones we could put on if we wanted to. 🌻 :silver: 🌷 :)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was three months old, and my parents and I flew from West Berlin (where Dad was stationed) to Delaware. We stayed with relatives for Christmas.

Since I was an army brat, that was the first of many flights for me.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first and only time I've ever flown for travel, was when I was 12 and my family went to Florida.
I have been on one of those little planes that fit like 6 people once when I was a kid also, I was in Girl Guides and we were on an "educational outing", I honestly can't remember what it was for. But I do remember flying in that plane, it was just a 15 minute or so ride, but it was pretty cool.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I was a sophomore in college and flew from Ohio to New Jersey during Christmas break to visit my roommate. I don’t remember a thing about it!

My favorite “first flight” wasn’t mine. I traveled a lot for work and was flying from Salt Lake City to New York City. I boarded the plane with a bunch of young LDS missionaries (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) headed for their mission assignments. The young man (19 years old) sitting next to me was SO excited he practically was bouncing up and down in his seat! It was his first flight and his first trip outside of Utah, and he chattered like a magpie the whole flight. It was actually a lot of fun.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am almost 65 years old and have never been on a plane. I'm too scared and after 9-11 I never will get on a plane.
I HATE flying and after 9/11 it was worse, but that is when I flew to Florida to pick up a kitten. My husband told me then that I REALLY must want that kitten! That was the year after 9/11 and that was the last time I flew.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a baby, around 6 months old - Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hawaii and India. Later on Cayman Islands, Finland and England. Only the first of many childhood travels.

Yeah I was a well traveled little pudgy butt :lol: Thankfully I was a very easy baby apparently. I still have my very first passport! And my Teddy Bears "passport" too.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was 32 when I first set foot on an aeroplane. My ex husband and I flew to Miami. It was a very late honeymoon, we had been married 8 years by then. It was a 9 hour flight but because of the novelty of flying it went really fast.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first flight went from Brussels (Belgium) to Lilongwe (Malawi) (with stops in Paris, (France), Libreville (Gabon) and Lusaka (Zambia)). I was traveling on my own. In Libreville the landing gear appeared to be damaged; it took us 2 days to reach Lilongwe. It was such a horrible experience that I developed a fear of flying, but it didn't stop me from traveling by plane.