Question of the Day - Monday, July 13, 2020

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the first time was when I was 5, almost 6, when we moved to Japan. A 17-hour flight is a crazy way to get your wings! Back then the airlines were allowed to take kids on tours, meet the pilot, look at the cockpit, etc. And we got some major swag bags, besides our gold wing pins. I honestly think my mom still has some of the toys/puzzles we got on that flight (or at least they say JAL on them; they may have been from a later flight). After that we flew ALL THE TIME so it was no big deal, but I'm pretty sure that was the first.

I used to get airsick up until I was 10 or 11. Unfortunately, I didn't get sick ON the plane, but afterward while we were walking on the jetway to the airport. So I learned to take a barf bag with me off the plane. Sorry to say I caused a lot of cleanup before I figured that out :/.
I was 5, and my mum took me to Florence, Italy. Back then the rules on aeroplanes were far more relaxed, and as well as getting a goodie bag full of gifts from the flight attendant they also took me into the cockpit to meet the captain!

I had a snowman teddy that I took everywhere with me - naturally I carried him on to the plane but I also made him his own tiny passport, which they even stamped for me :blush:

I remember it all so well! Of course that was back when even planes had a smoking section! I doubt anyone would be allowed in the cockpit nowadays.
They still let kids go into the cockpit and meet the pilots. Not every kid on every flight; but DS got to when we flew to Disney a few years ago. He was 4 and my step-dad stayed with him but his phone malfunctioned so we don't have any pictures of it. I've taken a few trips since 9/11. Flying isn't bad. The only thing I didn't like is that they no longer let people with small kids board first. :lol2: My kids did ok though. It was just more of a hassle because we were dealing with a stroller and car seat at the gate along with the kids.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 29 and flew to Chicago for a business meeting in April of 1980. I had no idea what I was doing, what a plane ticket looked like, how to buckle my seatbelt etc. The other reason I remember this trip so well is that my drive to the airport took me a different route than my normal work drive and I passed by a small house not far from my apartment that was for sale. It was affordable and I ended up buying it and living there for twenty five years.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was probably Florida. I am not sure how old I was the first time though. My grandparents lived in Florida so it was a frequent vacation spot for us. My mom's favorite story to tell about me on an airplane was from when I was 2 or 3 and I apparently sang the ABCs the entire way to St. Woosis (which is how I said St. Louis) where we had a layover to Orlando. Last year my mom and I went to Florida to visit my grandpa (for the last time for me, he died a year ago tomorrow) and we had a layover in St. Louis and I made a joke to my siblings about betting how long it would take our mom to mention St. Woosis. It took 5 minutes.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I did Chicago to Pittsburgh as a baby to meet my dad's family, as opposed to them doing the ten plus hour drive, but we did more driving than flying when I was really little.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 8 years old my Aunt took me to the states we landed in NYC. I can't say what airport I was so young. I was late 30s before I flew anywhere again when my now husband booked Turkey as a surprise.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was plane mad as a kid and my father used to take me to a small regional airport 20 minutes up the road to watch the planes taking off and landing on the weekends.
One morning we were there sitting on the flying club porch and an instructor come out and asked if we wanted to go up.
I jumped at it and my dad declined..found out then he was scared of flying..lol
Instructor took me up with some other guy who was doing some dual practice and we flew all around the mountains and back again.
I was in a daze for a week..lol
It firmly set me on a path and i got my pilots license about 10 years later
It was cheap then..couldnt afford to do it now..costs thousands.

20200714_080424[1].jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was in college and a group of us went to the Bahamas for spring break. I had a part-time job at school and saved up for the trip. Since it was my first time on a plane I remember being so excited.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I did Chicago to Pittsburgh as a baby to meet my dad's family, as opposed to them doing the ten plus hour drive, but we did more driving than flying when I was really little.
Upon questioning my mom, I was 17 month, so a toddler, not quite a baby! But my first flight was to Pittsburgh.