Question of the Day - Monday, January 30, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another busy Monday here. I did a LOT of sleeping from Saturday night through this morning. Its sunny and feels like Spring; so I got up a little early and I’ve been on the move!

Ive been thinking of trying to use the diffuser on my hair dryer to see if I get more curl than with air drying. My hair has gotten progressively curlier the last 5 years or so. It always had just enough wave to be annoying I said.

Apparently I DO have more curl in there. I just don’t know how to get it to stay. I should have googled how to use a diffuser. :lol: I got more curl especially in the front; but not as much through the back. And my hair got BIG. I called DD to come look and she made this face: 🥴. Hows that for honesty?!:flail:I told her I looked like the Beast from the Disney movie.:lol: Its in a clip now and lost a lot of what curl I found. I guess my 2 products weren’t enough! I don’t have patience for this every day! 🤪

What type of hair do you have? Straight, curly? A mix like me? None? Do you style your hair or let nature take over?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am about 60% still dark brown and 40% grey and white. The brown is stick straight and fine. The Grey/white is coarse and curly. So frizzy curls in front where the white is coming in the fastest, and stick straight on top and the back where I still have color.

I blow dry and then use a curling brush to curl and tame it down.

Last edited:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am about 60% still dark brown and 40% grey and white. The brown is stick straight and fine. The Grey/white is coarse and curly. So frizzy curls in front where the white is coming in the fastest, and stick straight on top and the back where I still have color.

I blow dry and then use a curling brush to curl and tame it down.
I'm starting to go salt 'n' pepper too. I usually get highlights but I'm at an in-between stage. I can't decide what to do next with my hair. I didn't realize that the grey grows in with a different texture. Very interesting. My mom has been almost totally white since her 30's.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had thick hair. My style right now is a pixie cut, but when it's long, it's mostly straight. There may be a little bit of a wave to it, but it's mostly just straight. My hair is often too heavy to ever hold a curl too, so as a kid, I would braid my hair while it was wet or try to curl it but it would be back to how it was originally within hours.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thick and coarse hair. It's naturally curly in the back, but kind of straight in the front. Frizzy on humid days. My hairstylist is even at a loss with styling my hair. Since it's gone grey and white and since it's down to just around the top of my shoulders, most of the time, I wash, condition the heck out of it and let it go. I may have blown my hair dry six times since I retired three years ago. I used to wash and blow dry every day. Now I wash 2 - 3 times a week. And my hair is better for it.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blonde, baby fine, wavy/curly. Just past shoulder length. And despite being fine there is a lot of it.

I either keep it natural or straighten it. Curly hair can be quite adventurous or temperamental with it's good days and bad days - While I have come to accept and appreciate my curly hair (and when it is a good day it looks absolutely cute) straight hair is definitely way easier to manage lol granted, my hair would have been perfect for a bunch of 80's hairstyles thanks to it's easy grasp at floofyness and poof.

Products use is shampoo/conditioner, occasional hair mask, leave-in conditioner spray, and thermal protectant spray for blowing drying and flat iron. Then little bit hair spray. Pretty quick and easy a a 10 process after washing. And comfortable, I don't like wandering about with damp hair, especially in the winter. Biotin and Collagen supplements have been lovely too.

Since my hair is fine (Thank you Finno-Ugric genes) and curly on top of it (Curly hair is more prone to dryness) making it a double whammy, it can be quite delicate with breakage. So taking care of it is a must to keep it legitimately non-superficially healthy and soft.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a white streak since about twelve years old and that is coarse. The rest is lightly curly. I keep it fairly long but these days, doing lots of litter boxes, I tend to keep it pulled back. The cats like it down because it’s fun to grab. Style it? No. I used to and used to do French braids too but I am old now and leaving it down prevents headaches. A little soft curl is fine by me. My step sister says I have a silver and gold thing going on. She’s being nice! Lol

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostly fine straight brown hair with a few grays. It's been over a year since I got it cut and it's probably about chest length. I usually pull it back in a messy bun or one braid for ease.

I'd like to chop a few inches and get highlights/cover up the grays, but that'll be post baby at some point, probably.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have very straight fine hair on the top of my head. The middle is wavy, and the ends become very curly. The underneath hair in the back is tight curly. The natural color has always been auburn brown, with the ends fading out to a light reddish blond color. So, whenever my hair has been natural, it always looks like I am growing out a bad perm and bleach job.
After I left my job at the cat hospital, I was angry, and I wanted my hair to reflect that. I used a bright red color conditioner, and my hair was bright red for about 6 months. I was working at the ER then and nobody cares about hair color there. Then I got tired of it and have been kind of not doing much with it.
I get my hair cut about once every 5 years if I need it or not. Just had it cut a week ago. It is long. I do nothing with it but, air dry or use the car heater to dry as I drive to work.

When I was 15 I wanted light ash blond hair more than anything. I bleached it at home many times but could only get to a light uneven flaming peach color. I finally went to a salon. where they were able to transform my hair to the light ash blond I wanted. I did get chemical burns on my scalp. The color looked horrible on me and I had regrowth in a day.
I then tried doing a home spiral perm (unexpected turn of events it didn't work out) so, I tried again and wound up with hair that was no longer hair. Then I had a very short angular cut that grew out to look similar to Billy Idol.
In my 20's I went from long bleached hair to a very short cut that was shaved up the back of my neck and angular at the sides as well as a dark cranberry color. The unfortunate part of that hair style was that the ends of my hair would flip up and instead of looking mature and serious. I looked like a freakish pippy long Stocking.
In my late 30's I pet sat a very ill kitty and wound up having to stay with him and basically work 24/7 to keep him comfortably alive until his unreachable on a cruise hairstylist owner returned. She couldn't pay me what she felt it was worth, and I didn't ask for more money than we had discussed. But she wanted to do something, so she gave me the super long glue in hair extensions like performers would get. back in the early 2000's that cost over $1,000.00. Something I could never afford or would pay for. She also dyed my hair jet black. It was fun having the extensions and they lasted about 7 months.
Black hair dye is not easy to get out, so I kept it black and then variations of blue black for years. Eventually I grew it out. Then I didn't dye it for decades until I recently turned it bright red.
It is now back to a crazy mix of brownish, grey. reddish blondish, curly, straight, fine textured and course depending on where on my scalp it is.

And this is way more information than anyone ever wanted to know about my hair. I didn't even touch on the entire copper mullet experience.

I do wish that when I was younger, they had all the bright hair colors they have available now. I would have probably walked around with unicorn hair.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always envied people with naturally curly hair. Mine is straight, fine, no body at all except when I first get out of bed. I used to wear it pretty short, but I haven't had a haircut since February 2020 because (1) Covid and (2) I've retired since then. I just grab a clump and chop it when it gets to be too much of a bother. I pretty much let nature do it's thing. I do use product to try to get a *little* body, but usually just let it dry on it's own. Yesterday I used the blow dryer because I had to go out before it dried...no difference from when it air dries. I've noticed I'm getting a little more grey. Thought I might experiment with dying it close to my natural color, medium brown. But we'll see if I have the ambition to do that. When I was in my 20s, I dyed it blond, like medium blond, just for the heck of it. I also occasionally used a henna rinse in my teens to bring out the red highlights.