Question of the Day - Monday, January 27, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I'm running late today guys! I haven't even had breakfast yet and it's almost lunch time. :crazy:

What was the last homemade/from scratch meal you made?

I made veggie soup today in the slow cooker. I've been craving it for a few weeks and I thought I'd make it Saturday; but my Aunts came for a visit so that meant dinner at my Mom's and not having to cook at all. I haven't made veggie soup in a long time and I followed a different base recipe. It's not as "tomatoey" looking as I was thinking so I might add more crushed tomatoes or something like that. I used celery, carrots, potatoes, green beans, corn, peas, lima beans, and canneli beans. I'm going to add spinach later too just because I have it. I bought fresh spinach to make ramen (something new for me too) this week too. I'm on a soup kick I guess. :lol2:

I also have a loaf of herb topped french bread from the grocery store bakery. I can't wait for dinner!

7541E245-3B79-442B-9CF8-38F805FCDAD6.jpeg

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
That soup looks AMAZING. I love vegetable soup. The husband doesn't do soups or chilis, so I don't make them nearly as much as I want to. I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

To answer the question, I suppose tonight's meal is from scratch! We are doing pan-seared salmon with a balsamic glaze, homemade mashed potatoes, and roasted broccoli.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on an instant pot kick right now, and have been making a lot of homecooked meals. I believe ths last one was a broccoli-cheddar soup that was supposed to taste like Panera's recipe. It doesn't, but it's pretty good anyway. I also made some lemon curd (so good!).

One thing I made a few weeks ago was supposed to taste like Dinty Moore beef stew (it didn't. I think I see a theme with the "copycat" recipes ;). But the texture was similar), and that was really good. I'm going to try Bourbon Chicken tonight, I think. I don't have any bourbon but the recipe says I can use extra apple juice instead so I'll give it a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That soup looks AMAZING. I love vegetable soup. The husband doesn't do soups or chilis, so I don't make them nearly as much as I want to. I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

To answer the question, I suppose tonight's meal is from scratch! We are doing pan-seared salmon with a balsamic glaze, homemade mashed potatoes, and roasted broccoli.
DH doesn't really like soup either; so I try to keep it hearty. He also wants some meat/protein so I've got cod to make on the side. It's a little odd of a combination but hey it'll all taste good.

That salmon and potatoes sounds REALLY good!! :drool: Broccoli too. I've been making fish more often and I'm getting better at it. I don't know why I found it intimidating before.
I'm on an instant pot kick right now, and have been making a lot of homecooked meals. I believe ths last one was a broccoli-cheddar soup that was supposed to taste like Panera's recipe. It doesn't, but it's pretty good anyway. I also made some lemon curd (so good!).

One thing I made a few weeks ago was supposed to taste like Dinty Moore beef stew (it didn't. I think I see a theme with the "copycat" recipes ;). But the texture was similar), and that was really good. I'm going to try Bourbon Chicken tonight, I think. I don't have any bourbon but the recipe says I can use extra apple juice instead so I'll give it a try.
I have an instant pot and I haven't used it yet. :paperbag: I considered trying it today; but I just went for the slow cooker because I don't have the time to figure out a new appliance; even if it makes the cooking part faster.

We've been looking at copy-cat recipes too. DH was trying to copy Chick-fil-A's sauce this weekend. I was trying to copy our favorite taco seasoning. Eh; it's fun to do. My favorite so far was a copycat of Chipotle's rice. Yummy!
Stir fry last night.
Ooo I love a good, homemade stir fry! DH always says they have too much sodium so that's another recipe I've been googling and fiddling around with. I ended up doing a homemade teriyaki beef with broccoli in the crockpot last week. It tasted good and I adjusted the sodium as much as I could; but even with lower sodium soy sauce it's still saltier than recommended.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made homemade chicken and noodle soup in the crock pot. The noodles go in the last 15 minutes. I used the Reames frozen noodles because they are closer to homemade then the dried ones. I made it really hearty, it was actually closer to chicken and noodles then chicken noodle soup.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This is so unusual for me, but I haven’t made a meal from scratch in weeks and that last meal may have been scrambled eggs with ham and roasted garlic potatoes. There was a week of takeout, etc. and some takeout last week. The meals I ”cooked” were mostly prepared foods I reheated. I’ve just been too exhausted to make a meal from scratch. There’s a good shot for tomorrow though. :crossfingers:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an instant pot and I haven't used it yet.
It's very easy. I'm a super lazy cook and it's just perfect for me. Look up some recipes and follow them to the letter at first, and after a while you'll get a feel for it and be able to make up/adapt your own recipes.

I think the best part is being able to use frozen meat, because I never remember to thaw it!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Liver and bacon the night before. (Before you gag, everyone here loves it and I was asked to make it)
My mother would invite herself over. She loves liver but my Stepdad won't even step in the house if she cooks it. :lol2: We used to have a local restaurant that had it as a weekly special; but they closed recently when the owner was ready to retire.

The rice casserole sounds really good to me! I should make more dishes like that.
It's very easy. I'm a super lazy cook and it's just perfect for me. Look up some recipes and follow them to the letter at first, and after a while you'll get a feel for it and be able to make up/adapt your own recipes.

I think the best part is being able to use frozen meat, because I never remember to thaw it!
That would be a big help. I never freeze meat unless it's fish because I got so sick of how gross it gets when you defrost it in the microwave. It's easier to just get one week of meat at a time and plan a menu every week off that. I used to try to make one new dish every week. But I just haven't had that kind of time or interest as my kid's school days have gotten more complex. Maybe I can come up with something to try later this week.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The last homemade meal from scratch that I made was veggie chili. It's a good comfort food during winter and, best of all, I have plenty of leftovers.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually cook a recipe from my mealime app about 3x a week. Last night I made us creamy mushroom bacon soup with a spring mix, pear and bacon salad.

I do use the O organics vegetable broth instead of making my own so idk if it counts.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Made the Bourbon Chicken but used a bottle of Angry Orchard hard cider instead of apple juice and bourbon. It's pretty good. I had to add some salt and vinegar because it had no acid to it, not sure if the apple juice and bourbon would have provided that. Then I added some frozen broccoli and mushrooms for veggies, and am eating it with mashed potatoes (instant, sadly). Yummy!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a roast beef (with from scratch gravy with the drippings), mashed potatoes and green/yellow beans on Sunday.
Saturday was a tuna casserole. So now we get good homemade left overs for a few days! yay!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's super easy and only one dish, which makes it easy to clean up.
I need more easy cleanup in my life!! 🤪
grilled cheese :paperbag: (I was a good cook before the surgery)
I llooooove grilled cheese and tomato soup! DH rarely will go for that for dinner. 😔😜
I made a roast beef (with from scratch gravy with the drippings), mashed potatoes and green/yellow beans on Sunday.
Saturday was a tuna casserole. So now we get good homemade left overs for a few days! yay!
That sounds Soooo good! I haven’t eaten yet today. 😄