Question of the Day - Monday, January 25, 2021

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the artists of the 17th and 18th Centuries, as well as Wyeth, Renoir, Monet, and Frieseke (his daughter was my first French teacher).
1611633003047.png
Frederick Carl Frieseke, American Impressionist

I don't like Frank Lloyd Wright or the Prairie Style. He was a nasty man. If you haven't read his biography, it's a real eye-opener. Neither do I like any of the Craftsman style houses. Again, I like 18th Century brick houses. I grew up in Virginia, and the 18th Century has stuck with me.

And last but not least, I like the paintings of my son's. Look for some of his work on Jon's Paintings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do also enjoy the kind of art you find at local fairs and exhibitions. There is one person locally here that does beautiful work with turned wood. Someday I want some local photography on the walls. I have a couple photos my FIL took on the coast of California. I remember watching a glass maker at the Corning factory when I was a kid and it was fascinating! My cousin found a beautiful glass bowl from a local person when she visited too.

One local welder-artist makes the cutest things out of other things. I bought my dad an airplane made out of spark plugs. :lol: Art can be so many things.

I think I’m drawn to the older works because they had limited resources compared to what we have today. Yet many works have survived to today. Art is also something anyone can dabble in. You don’t even have to be “good” at it. When I retire I want to take classes at a local art league. They do have classes now and I may sign my kids up in the near future as things open again. Creative time like that feeds my soul. So maybe that’s what draws me to observe art too.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In terms of "fine art," I'd say Alphonse Mucha and Art Nouveau is a style I like. I took a class on the connections between art and science and we had to do a paper on 3 disciplines crossing paths, so I did Art Nouveau, Biology (especially the illustrations by Ernst Haeckel), and Advertising.

In terms of art I currently like, it's cartoon/comic/aesthetic art. It's heavily influenced by Japanese manga and anime (which itself is a mash up of American cartoons and traditional Japanese Ukiyo-e or woodblock prints that could be mass produced) It's illustrative and editorial, focusing on style and character. It's mostly all digitally produced. I could fill my home with it and do have many prints. Here are some examples of the prints I have:
1611636741240.png
1611636929913.png
1611637009321.png
1611637931078.png

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the artists of the 17th and 18th Centuries, as well as Wyeth, Renoir, Monet, and Frieseke (his daughter was my first French teacher).
View attachment 367940 Frederick Carl Frieseke, American Impressionist

I don't like Frank Lloyd Wright or the Prairie Style. He was a nasty man. If you haven't read his biography, it's a real eye-opener. Neither do I like any of the Craftsman style houses. Again, I like 18th Century brick houses. I grew up in Virginia, and the 18th Century has stuck with me.

And last but not least, I like the paintings of my son's. Look for some of his work on Jon's Paintings.

You're son is very talented.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heresy!! :angrywoman::lol:

If you had to go to an art museum; lets say just to kill time. Would you prefer to look at paintings that look realistic, ones where they wear old historic style clothing, or modern where it could be anything in the image? Or would you prefer some kind of landscape? How about statues that look ancient or are made like ones from ancient times? Or would you prefer some kind of more modern image?

Thats a good way to look at what you might prefer.
I am not very educated and don't know squat about art but since you explained it like that I would prefer Picasso over Van Gogh. Landscrapes are nice.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not very educated and don't know squat about art but since you explained it like that I would prefer Picasso over Van Gogh. Landscrapes are nice.
You don't have to study art for years to appreciate art. It's also about what you like and no one is somehow 'wrong' about what they like. I sometimes think people become snobs about art and they lose sight of what they like, it becomes kind of a thing where they say they like what they are supposed to like.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Art Nouveau .. I love how it came about and it just makes me feel good.
If it counts, calligraphy, and in particular, Islamic calligraphy is quite stunning.
I'm not into provocative art.. we have enough of that in film, daily life etc.

I remember at art classes one teacher told me to 'let go'.. that I was too restricted, and he was probably right... I like fine, detailed work.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you had to go to an art museum; lets say just to kill time. Would you prefer to look at paintings that look realistic, ones where they wear old historic style clothing, or modern where it could be anything in the image? Or would you prefer some kind of landscape? How about statues that look ancient or are made like ones from ancient times? Or would you prefer some kind of more modern image?

Thats a good way to look at what you might prefer.
'

I don't know anything about art, but my personal preference is to look at painting of landscapes. I don't care much for modern art, or the stuff that looks like a 4th grader could have done.

As for museums in general, I love history so anything interests me. I loved the Smithsonian. The crown jewels in London were awesome, and visiting tower of London was interesting. I like ancient artifacts, etc. Or even how people lived in certain periods.