Question of the Day - Monday, January 23, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey!! Guess what I found in an open browser tab unposted??? :dunno::doh:

January seems to be flying by for me. Of course we're staying busy so maybe that's helping. Our weather has been pretty nice for winter too so I can't complain.

What is your favorite sauce (condiment) for topping and/or dipping?

I love to put vinegar on things; so that should be my top thing. If you don't consider it a sauce; I guess my other favorites are all vinegar based. I've even taken some Italian and Greek salad dressings and put it on white rice. I bet it would be good over mashed potatoes too. It's not a good dip on it's own though. The same can be said for hot sauce I guess. I did toss leftover chicken in some buffalo wing sauce for a salad last night and that worked. But still not a dip.

I really like BBQ sauce on burgers though. There's a local place here where I'll get sautéed mushrooms and onions on my a burger with bbq sauce, provolone cheese and I add a couple onion rings. It's SO good. I don't eat a lot of beef at home; so I'll get that kind of thing when we go out sometimes.

Another place here has Gold Sauce; which seems like a bbq-mustard combo. It's really really good! I don't know where they get it; but Sweet Baby Ray's has a version I've used at home.

Maybe my favorite just depends on what I'm eating it with and what strikes my fancy at the moment. :dunno: Sometimes liking "everything" means it's hard to choose.:rolleyes2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really only like gravy on roast meats. I don’t put any condiments on anything else, and I loathe mayonnaise or any hot sauces. My favourite condiment is none, lol!
You know I bet if most food was cooked right we wouldn't want so many condiments. My son doesn't really like them either. For a while we could get him to eat chicken dipped in ketchup and potatoes dipped in bbq sauce... But really he prefers nothing. Every time we go to Chick-Fil-A he gets Chick-Fil-A sauce so we can have extra at home. :lol2:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite is a hot pepper sauce I make.

15 pequin peppers thawed (I freeze them) and juiced in a garlic press
Juice of 2 Key limes (getting hard to find Key limes)
1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro

It is hot and tangy but accentuates flavors rather than hiding them. At least to me! :p

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite is a hot pepper sauce I make.

15 pequin peppers thawed (I freeze them) and juiced in a garlic press
Juice of 2 Key limes (getting hard to find Key limes)
1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro

It is hot and tangy but accentuates flavors rather than hiding them. At least to me! :p
That sounds delicious! My dad loves really hot stuff. I bet he would love that. I love lime and cilantro so I might even enjoy that one!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I bet if most food was cooked right we wouldn't want so many condiments. My son doesn't really like them either. For a while we could get him to eat chicken dipped in ketchup and potatoes dipped in bbq sauce... But really he prefers nothing. Every time we go to Chick-Fil-A he gets Chick-Fil-A sauce so we can have extra at home. :lol2:
I often think the same thing, that the sauces and spices are to disguise the food, which is rather alarming (understandable if food can’t be refrigerated and may be going off, but if it isn’t, whyyyyy?). Like, I love roast chicken, it’s my favourite meat, and all it needs for my taste is chicken gravy, and that’s as much about moisture as flavour.

Oh wait, I just thought of one not-really-a-condiment I like - butter on roast or boiled potatoes. Yum!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite would be a good homemade barbecue sauce. I think someone's idea of a good barbecue sauce depends on where they live or where they grew up. I grew up in Kansas so I grew up with Kansas City style barbecue. It is a red sauce that is sweeter than Texas barbecue. I don't think it is too sweet but there is usually something like molasses in the mix that makes it a little sweet and a little thick.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I often think the same thing, that the sauces and spices are to disguise the food, which is rather alarming (understandable if food can’t be refrigerated and may be going off, but if it isn’t, whyyyyy?). Like, I love roast chicken, it’s my favourite meat, and all it needs for my taste is chicken gravy, and that’s as much about moisture as flavour.

Oh wait, I just thought of one not-really-a-condiment I like - butter on roast or boiled potatoes. Yum!
I like plenty of them but usually I’m looking to accentuate a flavor; not smother it. Since I’ve been watching sodium and things I do feel like its harder to get good flavor with strictly salt free seasoning. Sometimes I add a little back myself. At least then I have control over it. If I find myself putting too much; I know I’m tired of whatever blend I used.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm pretty changeable.
Right at the moment it's a locally made mango, ginger and rum chutney. Stunning on a sharp cheese.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Homemade cranberry sauce for roast pork or roast chicken.
Malt vinegar for fries.
I like to make a sauce from the fond in the pan of roasted meats, with a bit of thyme, maybe a shallot, a bit of wine or broth, a pat of butter. Whatever I want. It's not a gravy, just a bit of a sauce.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think I put a ton of sauce on things. My husband puts hot sauce on pretty much everything. I guess I'd go with ranch.