Question of the Day - Monday, January 10, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm surprisingly awake for a Monday. We are getting back into our school groove (although DD is growling at her geometry lesson...:paranoid:) and Mooch is being judgmental from her heated bed...

What's the longest you've ever stayed awake? How well did you handle it?

I have been awake for 24 hours a few times. The first time I was a teen and we were having a youth group lock in at the church. Most of us stayed awake all night watching movies and playing games. I don't really recall how long I was awake when laboring with my kids. DD's was a 24 hour labor but I eventually had an epidural and rested a bit but I don't recall if it was sleep really. DS didn't take that long. The most recent was this weekend. We made a very quick trip out of state because my Grandfather was turning 100. The weather forecast was iffy going up but we took a different route and it was fine until we got into town. Then we ended up having to leave in the middle of the night to avoid the even worse forecast that sprang up. :cringe: DH had gone back to the hotel to rest earlier in the evening. But I couldn't sleep at all! We hit the road by 1 am and managed to miss it all. But there was a few times I went between awake and asleep so fast I wasn't sure if it felt more like dreaming or hallucinating. :lol: I was trying to stay awake to keep DH company. I did doze off for about the last hour when the sun was coming up. It was kind of nice having the roads to ourselves. But geeze! One second I was in the car; the next I was at Bojangles (something we don't even have here or there!) with my cousins and the next I was back in the car. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There were many nights when my son was an infant and ill that I would be up with him all night and then go to work the next day so 36+ hours at a stretch and then just a couple of hours of sleep that night. I remember being so tired and trying to type at work and the letters kept jumping around on the page.

When he was in his late teens we drove back from North Carolina in a 24 hour marathon drive. By the last 50 miles or so I was feeling so goofy, it seemed at times like things on the side of the road were moving and fence posts were figures. Kind of scary thinking about it now.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a bunch of NYC folks & tools to go down to New Orleans after Katrina to help rebuild, and of the dozen or so it turned out only 2 of us could drive the 2 vans. Lots of pulling over and “cat”napping, lots of java. …that time, and then a 24 hour Halloween movie marathon.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
46 hours. While deployed, we were sent to search for remains where a NATO F-4 Phantom jet had disappeared. As a member of the motor whaleboat crew, I had to stand by in case anything was sighted. As the only corpsman aboard, there was no one else to relieve me, unlike the others. I didn't hit the sack until the search was called off.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I pulled an all-nighter for finals more than one time in college. We considered it a challenge, took turns making coffee and passing snacks around. Since I stayed up until I went to class to take my final I'm guessing I was awake for at least 24 hours but not sure. However, I do know there's no way I could do that anymore. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I pulled an all-nighter for finals more than one time in college. We considered it a challenge, took turns making coffee and passing snacks around. Since I stayed up until I went to class to take my final I'm guessing I was awake for at least 24 hours but not sure. However, I do know there's no way I could do that anymore. :lol:
We used to stay in the CAD lab working on our final drawings until the building closed. That was somewhat fun. Back then it was really difficult or expensive to get a copy of Auto-CAD for your home computer so a lot of us would be in there. It made it nice to walk out to your car at 11pm because you weren't alone on campus too. I don't think I truly pulled an all-nighter in college though. Some very late nights; but not an all nighter. A friend of mine had an accident when she decided to run out for some Coke at 3 am while studying. A raccoon dashed across the road and I'm sure her reaction time wasn't its best. She was ok and her car was repairable. Thank the Lord.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drove 18 hours to where a big metal annealing furnace was being started up and supervised the gradual drying and curing of the new brickwork and bringing the furnace up to full temperature which took about 12 hours then dove 4 hours to next job locality and crashed out in motel for a day.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure, honestly, but at least 24 hours.

I do tend to hallucinate when I don't get sleep. It's a bit freaky.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, but I'd say at least 36 hours. I pulled way too many all nighters when I was depressed (for no reason other than I didn't want to go to bed) and that is absolutely the reason I was depressed for so long. Once I got my depression under control and realized how much my mental health was affected by sleep, I vowed to never again stay up all night. I've done it a handful of times since then, so I'm doing better than the 4 or 5 times a week I did back then.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the longest time I was awake was once when I was on duty over a holiday when they had an electric service feed fail underground and the high school swimming pool flooded back into its boulder room. I worked 27 hours straight and finally got everything back running on a temporary electric feed. I was so worn out I had to call somebody else to come in and relieve me (which they did--they didn't have to--it being Christmas Eve). I had shoemakered one of the boilers into operation, but needed our mechanical contractor to check the combustion for safety's sake. Collapsed in a chair waiting for them and was awakened by my relief guy. He finished with the contractor.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in college and young. I used to not sleep for 24 hrs straight or more.

Those were the days...

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think most of us can relate to staying up way too long in our youth. When I was eighteen I used to do a midnight to dawn radio show, and of course at the end, didn't want to go to bed. I learned the hard way that we really need our sleep. I didn't fall asleep on the turntable or anything (this is way back in the days of records, cassettes etc) but I became so wired it was awful.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Two days and some. Working at the paper plant and starting third shift on Tuesday night. I got up early Monday morning, did all the housework and then stayed up all night Monday, thinking that I'd sleep during the day on Tuesday. Well, I didn't get to bed on Tuesday when I wanted to, and then I got called out to be at work at 3:00 that afternoon. I worked a double, 16 hours, and got home on Wednesday morning at 7:30. So I went from about 6:00 Monday morning until 7:30 Wednesday morning. And when I finally got to bed, I crashed hard. Third shift used to kill me every month.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've pulled a few all-nighters as a teen and in College, so I'd say 36+ hours. I handled it perfectly fine back then, if not just a bit tired. Now? Just the thought of missing a nights sleep makes me cringe. I'm tired and cranky and actually feel ill if I don't get enough sleep in a night, so I can't imagine getting zero.