Question of the Day - Monday, February 6, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy February! I put out my Valentine's Day tea towels today. I really need to get the big step stool inside to take down the rest of the Christmas stuff on top of my cabinets :lol: :paperbag: I found a funny picture of my BFF and I at our Junior Prom this weekend and posted it on her Facebook page. She was being silly making a ridiculous expression on her face. BFF's 19 year old daughter got a big kick out of it. And then another friend couldn't get over how much DD looks like me. The tall, thin version of me I've never been. it's all her fascial features and coloring. I still have that dress and I'm SO tempted to have her try it on. It'll be too wide and possibly short; but it would be amusing!

Do you resemble one side of your family vs the other? How about your kids (if you have them)?

I have always been told I looked like whatever parent I was with. My parents had similar coloring and heritage so that was probably why. But I actually resemble my maternal grandfather more than anyone. I have my maternal Grandma's hair color and "the family chin" she and all her sisters had. But a few years ago I took a picture with my Grandpa without my glasses on and it was obvious I look like him. I know I have his skin tone but with blue eyes. I'm a weird combo. :lol: We compared pictures of us both at around 20 and everyone thought I looked more like him too. I never knew that growing up. It's cool though because he was very very handsome. :redheartpump:

My dad surprised me by coming to my surprise birthday party last fall. I was sitting next to him when my mom went around taking pictures. Dad and I have the same awkward smile expression on our face. :lol: A very much "I'm smiling but NOT comfortable having my picture taken" type expression. :paperbag: My cousin on Dad's side and I are less than a month apart in age and as teens we resembled each other more; especially in eye shape. When DD was little her hair was blond and everyone said she looked like my cousin. It was adorable.

I wish I knew what my grandparents looked like as children to compare my kids to. I just don't know if pictures that far back exist. I suspect DS is taking after my dad in his childhood features. I see my grandma's expressions. But people say he looks like DH. I just don't see the resemblance between DH as a kid and DS. Or in my nephew whose now in his 20s but resembles DH some. DD has some of his features but the coloring makes her look more like me. It helps DH and I have similar jawlines I think.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got my father’s dark skin tone but otherwise I resemble my mother. My sister and I are biological half sisters and we don’t resemble each other at all. She is four inches taller with very fair skin and freckles.
I knew a set of fraternal twins who were exactly the same in looks; one was dark skin tone with dark hair, and the other had fair skin, freckles and was a red head!
I definitely resemble my Mom, and her Mom's side of the family.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I asked my husband who I resembled more and he said my dad but I feel I have some of my mom's features too. I definitely have my dad's fair complexion but my mom's darker hair. One daughter resembles me and the other my husband.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an odd mix of my father's side and look nothing like my mother's, while my sisters look like a mix of both sides but favoring our mother. I actually look like a mix of my father's paternal great-aunt Oona (Irish side) and his maternal aunt Viola (pronounced vi AH la, Choctaw side).

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I resemble my father more than my mother. My children--oldest son is very much a male version of me. Middle son resembles his father (fortunately only physically). My daughter is almost a dead ringer for her paternal grandmother (I was shocked when a picture of the woman as a young woman was published in her obituary at how strong the resemblance was). My youngest son most strongly resembles my father.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I look "exactly" like both my parents...it all depends on who I'm standing next to. When attending funerals and the like, I always get..."oh my, you must me so and so's daughter. And I get the same comments regardless of which parent they are referring. My laugh and mannerisms are more like my mother...and sister actually. But I do have many personality traits like my father. My nose, mouth and hair type are my father's, but my eyes (shape), skin and hair coloring are my mothers. Dad has green eyes and Mom has sky blue eyes...mine turned out blue-green. I really am a perfectly equal mix of both parents.
The only thing that I didn't get from either parent is my height and body shape. I'm tall and slim where as Dad is short (I'm actually taller than him) and stocky and Mom who is shorter than me, is curvy. I have a few distant relatives who are tall and lanky (Great aunt and uncle on my Mom's side)...so I must get it from them.
My sister looks just like my Mom, the only thing she got from both parents is her eye coloring...she too has the same blue-green eyes as me.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I'm thin, I resemble my Dad. When I'm heavier, I look more like my Mom. Go figure. Both my sister and brother are Mom's kids completely.

When our son was born and as he was growing up, he looked so much like Rick, it was uncanny. In fact, we have a picture of our son along side a similar picture of Rick. Other than our son having curly hair, you could have sworn it was the same little boy. Same sitting position. Everything. He was definitely Rick's son. As he's gotten older, I can see me in him, although maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

Our granddaughter looks like me. Same eyes, same smile. We were all sitting at the table one day, talking about things after dinner, and Rick's mom got on the subject of our Grands. Our granddaughter was sitting next to me and Evelyn was the one who mentioned the resemblance. And yeah, she was right. I never noticed it before.

Last edited:

catlikesbusiness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I resemble my father's side of the family more - olive complexion, dark hair, facial features - but there is also a strong resemblance in me to my mother - f.e my eyes. You could say that I'm a mix of both of them