Question of the Day - Monday, February 15, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
February is half over! Come on Spring!! :lol: My bird feeder is back to busy today after the yucky weather this weekend. According to the weather forecast; we might even see sun one day this week. Till then; I'm ready to join Mooch on her heated bed. :lol: In the meantime; I've got my Pusheen bathrobe around me. This sucker is almost a blanket. :crazy: I do have one that is like a blanket; but I can't function in it. It's too plush. :lol: I know a lot of people in the US are experiencing extreme cold and icy, nasty weather. Mine could definitley be worse. And I'm just thankful I don't have to go anywhere. I only HAVE to go out to fill the bird feeders.

How do you beat the chilly weather?

In the mornings I definitley go for my fleece robes and a hot cup of coffee. I have several pairs of cabin socks for when I'm lounging around in the evenings or on the weekends too. Those are fuzzy inside and wool outside. They feel nice! If I need to be up and about I have a long wrap around sweater that I love. It's technically a maternity sweater but I love it and I probably tell everyone but the mail lady that's what it is. Because of the extra material it covers my lap a bit when I sit so it feels nice and cozy. Since i'm plus sized; it's probably not completely obvious that it's a maternity sweater so I should really stop feeling like I need to advertise it before someone asks or thinks it. But here I am... :rolleyes2:

If i'm still chilly in the afternoon; hot tea is amazing! Hot chocolate is great too; but that's usually what I reserve for needing a mental pick-me-up. I found a Coconut Almond Bark black tea recently that is SO good!! In the evening i'll sometimes make herbal tea. But mostly I get under a blanket on the couch with Mooch in my lap. That's the best! It's probably good that I can't spend a whole day with Mooch in my lap because she tends to put me to sleep. It's like her super power or something. She decided to sit on my mom's lap when she was here once and the next thing i knew Mom was knocked out too. :flail:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if I have a choice (don't have to work or leave the house)....I hunker down, dressed in flannel or fleece with fuzzy socks and plush slippers with a warm drink, snack and cuddle on the couch with a blanket, the cats and read or watch TV.
Sometimes when I feel like I'm chilled "right to the bone" I will take a bath, or even just a hot foot soak...followed by the above.
If I don't have a choice and I have to face the chilly weather......I just complain to anyone who will listen.:lol: It doesn't help with the cold, but it does make me feel better.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chilly weather? What's that? It's 81 here today and I have the AC on. :rolleyes:

Looks like our days of cooler weather are coming to an end. When it is cooler here, I can leave the slider open with just the screen closed and put a light sweater on if I need it. I think I needed to turn the heat on twice.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
How do you beat the chilly weather?
What a coincidence that you chose this for the Question of the Day since I just got home and we're supposed to get 8-10" of snow overnight plus the temp is 7F today. As long as I can get out of my driveway and turn the thermostat up a bit I'm ok. I used to run all year round outdoors so I'd layer/insulate and wear thermal clothes. I would walk the dog several times in winter for at least an hour unless the temps were too dangerous to go out. Between my winter running gear and dog walking clothes I have no trouble staying warm. I think when you grow up and live in a colder climate it becomes second nature. Plus several cups of coffee throughout the day help me beat the chilly weather. 😉

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I wine a lot (yes, I typed that right!).

We've been pretty much living in sweats at this point. Heavy socks. The electric blanket is always on for the cats....and they know it.
We are fortunate that we are now both retired. I'm still not happy when it snows or we have ice, but now, we can say, "Oh phooey on that!" and sit in the house or WeShed.

And yeah, the wine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You do become accustomed to the cold when you live with it. We definitely get 4 seasons here but our winters are generally milder. The first winter I lived here I didn't need a winter coat until February. :lol2:

I tend to be home most of the time; pandemic or not. But I've found that when it's really cold, I still feel it inside with the heat on. At the moment I'm in a t-shirt with wet hair after working out and showering. That seems to be helping me stay warm in the afternoons. I guess my blood is still pumping. :lol:

Last year I got my kids and I all thermals so we could walk in the winter. If it's breezy; I found I needed wind proofing more than layers. I kept getting hot on our walks and removing layers when we were in the woods.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually keep my house temperature around 63*F in the winter, but I was cold last night and I turned it up to 67*F. Regardless of the temperature though, I'm almost always sitting under a few blankets, which is why I keep the temperature low because I like being burrowed in blankets. I don't do anything other than that to beat the cold though. I have a fireplace, but it needs to be cleaned before I can actually use it, so eventually I'll get around to that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep the house at 67 during the day and 63 at night. Not that cool but like most older homes my house is full of drafts so lots of layers are required. Fuzzy slippers over socks on my feet, a hoodie over my T-shirt and sometimes a throw in top of that. When I get too chilly I take soft drink and a Sudoku book into the bath and have a good long hot soak.

I do have a fireplace but rarely use it when it’s really cold because it pulls too much warm air out of the other rooms.

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are in a big deep freeze like so much of the country and I pull on the wool socks and a pair of cabellos ultra max socks,sweat pants,a long sleeve shirt and a sweat shirt and do fairly well.The kitties and the dogs have tons of blankies and they pretty much hunker down and snuggle.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You need to invest in some decent thermal underwear. Uniqlo do great heat-tech long sleeved t-shirts and leggings. Wear that under your fleecy PJ bottoms, sweaters and hoodies and you'll be fine.

Make sure you have plenty of hot drinks. Coffee is good in the mornings, then you can buzz around the house doing your manic OCD cleaning routine, which helps to raise your body temperature. If you need to sit at a desk and work for a few hours make sure you have a lap blanket and at least one plump cat to sit on top of you.

Get out for a walk if you can. Then you'll appreciate how warm and dry the house is when you get back home again.

Finish the day with a hot bath so you're all warm and toasty to get into bed.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It does not get too chilly where I am, although my husband and office mates complain how cold it is. I love the cold. I prefer winter than summer. Even when it is awfully cold for others, I still like to turn my a/c on.

When it gets too chilly, I just put on a sweater (not the heavy ones). I do not even wear boots even on a cold night outside. I know. I'm weird. :lol:

But coffee on a chilly morning is great!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does not get too chilly where I am, although my husband and office mates complain how cold it is. I love the cold. I prefer winter than summer. Even when it is awfully cold for others, I still like to turn my a/c on.

When it gets too chilly, I just put on a sweater (not the heavy ones). I do not even wear boots even on a cold night outside. I know. I'm weird. :lol:

But coffee on a chilly morning is great!
[/QUOTE
I'm weird too. I don't own a pair of boots and the only time I wore gloves was when I had to shovel my driveway or clean the snow off my car.

I had friend that got so hot sometimes she would open her windows in the winter.
I went to see her once and she had to open her windows. Her husband and I had to put our coats on inside the trailer to stay warm.