Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Question Of The Day - Monday, February 11, 2019

Discussion in 'The Cat Lounge' started by MoochNNoodles, Feb 10, 2019.

1. MoochNNoodles

MoochNNoodles Thread Starter TCS Member Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    Where my cats are
    I'm trying to come up with something better than "whats your favorite kind of cracker?" but I guess I'm not feeling very inspired tonight and I'm afraid to wait for morning to see how it goes then! How about a childhood throwback?

Did you enjoy clay/dough play when you were a kid?

I sure did! Sometimes my grandma would have extra dough that I could play with and sometimes she would even add a little food coloring for me to make it pretty. I had some Play-doh too. I still enjoy the nostalgic smell of it. I never really enjoyed clay though. Dough and Play-doh are just much easier to work with.

One Christmas my mom got my DD a set of what must have been 30 containers of Play-doh. My kids are STILL playing with ones we got then. The best though was when we went out for a big family dinner at a local Italian restaurant and our waiter brought each of my kids a little ball of pizza dough to play with while they waited. They were in awe. :lol2: DD also has a neat little Barbie kitchen play set where you use Play-doh to make food for your Barbies. Or in our case; for Barbie and The Flash since DS was playing along this afternoon. :crackup:

Furballsmom purraised this.

2. Katie M

Katie M TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    I did, but that ended after I mashed all the colors together. Mom and Dad wouldn't buy me more :disappointed:

MonaLyssa33, MoochNNoodles and Furballsmom purraised this.

3. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    :lol:

Wow, serious fun kudos to that waiter!

Yes, at least briefly - if I remember right, this may have been either in school or at someone's house - it doesn't seem as though my parents got this for me, but I do remember that odor, too LOL

MoochNNoodles purraised this.

4. islander

islander TCS Member Adult Cat

Feb 1, 2019
    Do you mean plasticine? That is what we called it I think way back in the 1940s. A rare treat it was and enjoyed...

NY cat man and MoochNNoodles purraised this.

5. Mia6

Mia6 Mother of two Top Cat

Jan 22, 2017
    Ohio, USA
    Oh yes. I can even remember eating it.

6. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    Yes we played with Play Doh when we were kids. We definitely didn't eat it though.

7. mightyboosh

mightyboosh TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 19, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Plasticine was the thing when I was a kid. It started out as separate strips of bright colours then ended up as a brown blob after a while as they got mixed.
    I was obsessed with Daleks then but could never make a good one until my sister in law made a real cracker. I learned her technique and made countless others. Happy days.

kashmir64 and MoochNNoodles purraised this.

8. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    Oh yes, we played a lot with Playdough.The colors were so much brighter and it was so much easier to mold then the old clay. We made a lot of 'stuff' for our Troll Dolls. Very rarely we got a kit to make things like insects, food,etc. that was so cool! But that was in a time when we used sticks for corrals, and white rocks for sheep, and a kleenex box for a barn, we had a lot of imagination back then because we didn't have the toys,or anything for that matter, like kids have today! Marbles were big, and slinkys, and dolls with all their clothes and accessories.

9. Norachan

Norachan Moderator Staff Member Moderator

May 27, 2013
    Mount Fuji, Japan
    Yes, I loved it! And then I went on to do a degree in Fine Art Ceramics, so it obviously made a big impression on me.

NY cat man and MoochNNoodles purraised this.

10. mama africa

mama africa TCS Member Top Cat

May 9, 2016
    It was still called plasticine in the 1960s and 1970s, when I was a kid (in Belgium).
    I loved to make plasticine sausages and figurines and I can recall the smell very well (different from (and not as good as) the vanilla smell of the actual Play-Doh).

MoochNNoodles and islander purraised this.

11. micknsnicks2mom

micknsnicks2mom TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 15, 2014
    ...with the cats...
    oh yes! i loved playing with Play-doh! :D

i also loved Silly Putty! ;)

12. LTS3

LTS3 TCS Member Staff Member Forum Helper

Aug 29, 2014
    USA
    I loved Play Doh. Mom didn't buy it often and back then there weren't any of the fancy molds and kits that are now available. We made homemade modeling dough once using a recipe found in a children's encyclopedia. I think it was just flour and water and salt. It was an off-white color so we added food coloring to balls of the dough.

susanm9006 purraised this.

13. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    Yepper. I was "making cookies", even way back then. Animals. All kinds of stuff. My cousins and I would spend time in their basement with Play-Doh.

Our GD went through a Play-Doh stage, too, a couple years ago. And she and I did the cookie-thing, too.

14. AbbysMom

AbbysMom At Abby's beck and call Staff Member Moderator

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I loved Play Doh! I really liked the smell of it! :flail: I always wanted one of these -

DSC02102.JPG

15. muffy

muffy TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 9, 2014
    Maryland
    We played with clay and Play Doh when I was a kid. I loved the smell of Play Doh.

16. kashmir64

kashmir64 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 9, 2017
    Arizona
    Although I know what they are, I don't recall ever playing with any kind of dough or clay.

17. MoochNNoodles

MoochNNoodles Thread Starter TCS Member Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    Where my cats are
    I always wanted those kits and never got one. I did have some tools though. The kind you press it through. Now that my kids have some I know why I didn't. It can be a pain to get it all back out.

Regular modeling clay is stinky. I got some for us to play with and put it in a plastic tub of craft stuff. Now everything in the tub smells like the clay. :doh:

18. NY cat man

NY cat man TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 6, 2018
    I played with clay in art class, but I don't remember seeing Play Doh around back then..

19. aliceneko

aliceneko TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 28, 2017
    London, England
    I loved clay in art class and would always look forward to clay lessons - and played with Play Doh a lot at home. I still have the clay models I used to make in art class and still use a clay pot I made for small trinkets and bracelets!

muffy purraised this.

20. Jcatbird

Jcatbird TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 5, 2017
    Southern U.S.
    Ah! Play dough! I still remember the smell. My brother got one of the pumps that spit it out like spaghetti, stars, logs or long blocks. I can remember slicing off slabs of stars that became distorted as you sliced but we didn’t care. Just watching it come scooting out the pump was great. Lol It just tended to dry out eventually. My nephew came to visit for awhile and I got play dough for him. He loved it too. The simple toys were always the best. Silly putty was very cool too.