Question of the Day, Monday February 10th

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The Monday question of the day is available. If you are interested in doing the Monday question of the day, please send me a PM.

Did you have braces when you were younger?

Last edited:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
No, I was blessed with pretty good set of teeth :cheese:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never saw a dentist until I was 18 or 19 years old. I was very blessed as far as teeth.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, my teeth (and all 3 of my kids' teeth) are very straight. Even my wisdom teeth came in straight and normal. Almost everyone l know here has had their wisdom teeth removed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I feel like the odd man out :anon:. My teeth were terrible. A bad overbite, buckteeth, I couldn't chew with my mouth closed. I had braces, but only after all my adult teeth were in (mainly because my parents couldn't afford them before); I think I was 18 when they were put on and I had them for 3 years if I remember correctly. My teeth are not currently as straight as I would like---even though I wore my retainer faithfully!---but the overbite, buckteeth, and chewing problem are corrected. So I'm pretty satisfied altogether, although I may get Invisalign to pretty up my front teeth at some point in the future.

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now I feel like the odd man out
. My teeth were terrible. A bad overbite, buckteeth, I couldn't chew with my mouth closed. I had braces, but only after all my adult teeth were in (mainly because my parents couldn't afford them before); I think I was 18 when they were put on and I had them for 3 years if I remember correctly. My teeth are not currently as straight as I would like---even though I wore my retainer faithfully!---but the overbite, buckteeth, and chewing problem are corrected. So I'm pretty satisfied altogether, although I may get Invisalign to pretty up my front teeth at some point in the future.
I'm in the same boat- I had a terrible underbite (made me look like a monster!) and my two front teeth were too crooked. The braces really helped me (I had them on for 3 years) but they could be a real pain at times. I still wear retainers at night- I always tell DH he's lucky he was born with straight teeth. 

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kid had braces and we almost lost his retainer on an overseas flight. The retainer was put on the dinner tray which was whipped away by the flight attendant when our attention was diverted. Didn't realize it was gone until an hour later. A whole planeload of people trying to sleep, except for two flight attendants, myself, and the kid going through the garbage. Braces were a pain and expensive and it was a long haul, but looking at him now, definitely worth it.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

My kid had braces and we almost lost his retainer on an overseas flight. The retainer was put on the dinner tray which was whipped away by the flight attendant when our attention was diverted. Didn't realize it was gone until an hour later. A whole planeload of people trying to sleep, except for two flight attendants, myself, and the kid going through the garbage. Braces were a pain and expensive and it was a long haul, but looking at him now, definitely worth it.
 Lol, Cocheezie, this reminded me of the time something similar happened to my sister. We were on vacation and stopped at McDonalds for lunch and her retainer got thrown out. By the time she realized it we had already left so we had to go back and find it. Of course by then the trash had already been taken out so my poor dad and some hapless employee had to sift through a McDonald's dumpster and then through the bag, but they got it back.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had them.  Well it was kind of like a retainer- like a really early version of invisilign (1970's) The dentist I went to was all excited over this technology. 

Well- it worked for some people but not for me.  It helped my top teeth and my overbite.  But it did nothing for the bottom teeth, in fact the dentist came up with this wonderful idea.  He pulled one of the bottom teeth to see if they would straighten out and have more room.  Nope.  My bottom teeth to this day are still a mess.  It doesn't bother me and I'm really good about making sure I brush and floss there well. 

Both of my kids did.  And they both did 2 rounds of treatment.  The younger child had it worse than the older one, she had a palate expander she had to wear for 6 months (and it was awful- she kept getting food stuck up there so I went and bought a water pick). And then braces on the top and bottom.  They told us a year and a half for both sets of teeth in braces- it was over 2 years.  I have to admit though, her teeth are so pretty and straight now.  And she is SO GOOD with wearing her retainer and keeping them clean
  Which makes me glad since she is well aware just how much money we've spent.  The older child is good too, though she quit wearing her retainer once she left the house.  Oh well- I told her if anything happens with her teeth it is on HER DIME b/c she's an adult

My dentist is too funny.  She keeps telling me "You know, it's never too late for braces.  We could do invisilign with you and you'd be done in a year and a half".  We have a kid in college that we are paying tuition for.  The other one starts college in another year.  Yes we have dental benefits but I can't see me spending the money for braces- not when my teeth aren't giving me problems.  Maybe once they're done with school..........

Cheryl

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad got braces as an adult :tongue2:. Right after I got mine off. He had braces as a teen but, like me, wanted to straighten up his front teeth. They put actual braces on his front teeth, top and bottom, but his retainer is an Invisalign type.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been blessed with straight teeth, but EVERY time I go to the dentist I have to spend a lot for caps and repairs! I've guess I've got 'thin enamel'. I broke one off at the gum line and had to have an implant too, 4000.00!!!! My husband had a cow, (I don't blame him1) I brush three times a day and floss every night.  
  Now, just a few years later they are down to 2000.00, I guess that's better.I called all over three states the first time and couldn't find them any cheaper. After 1000.00 for a crown, maybe I should just get all implants!!!  At least they'd be permanent!!!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, there was no money for something like that. But the three of us have decent teeth anyway and we are too old to change our looks so drastically now.

Last edited: