Question of the Day - Monday, August 31, 2020

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We held our one and only yard sale in 1997 when we were moving from Virginia to Utah. We advertised it as opening at 9 a.m. At 7:30 a.m., someone knocked on our door, asking if they could look at things early. Someone else looked in our front window.

During the sale, I caught someone trying to get into our house. “Oh,” she said. “I thought it was part of it. Is there anything in there for sale?” Yeah, right. That’s why you looked around furtively and quietly tried the door.

Another woman said, “I’m wanting this for my church, and it’s a really poor congregation. Would you just donate it to me so I can take it to them?”

“Really,” I said. “What’s the name of your church?”

“Oh, um. It’s, um...” and her voice trailed off while she tried to come up with an answer. Good try, lady.

We made $800 but swore never again.

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a MIL who lived with us and pushed to have a garage sale. Didn't want one but finally said okay. I worked and worked to get everything tagged and ready (while taking care of 3 little ones), hauled it out to the driveway, sat there in the heat all day with people coming on my property, looking around, and often leaving with nothing. I made very little and had to move everything back inside when it was over. Not worth it in my book. I'd much rather give it to charity, and I can even write it off on my taxes if I give enough away. But some people love having them.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I grew up on a cul-de-sac so everyone in the neighborhood would get together and have their garage sales on the same weekend. My mom was totally into them. She loved driving around looking for big ones. We got a lot of our stuff second-hand when we were young (my mom was known to occasionally 'dumpster dive' but only for things visible and reusable like picture frames.) I can't really imagine having one now what with craigslist and Ebay and such. Seems like a lot of work, a lot of stickers, and not so much money (unless you had baby/toddler stuff).

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy going to them, but I will likely never have one myself. I donate pretty much everything I don't need anymore that is in good condition.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother and sister used to drag me to them all the time in the US, and I believe my sister had a few herself. They made some really good finds, like Depression or Carnival glass, but I rarely bought anything.
I love Depression glass. I have a green pitcher and a pink bud vase.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have a lot of them in my yard, maybe one every summer. I would ask a friend to bring stuff too. I live in a more remote area now and have never had a yard sale here. I do like to go to them too. I don't do it as much as I used to because we have three thrift stores near my community.