Question of the Day - Monday, August 30, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good Monday to you all. In true homeschooler fashion; my DD was nearly done with school (yet still in pjs) before DS decided to wake up. Now DD is working on a history test and DS is STILL sipping a drink from breakfast. aka Testing me. :hmmm:

Are you a "get it done" person or more of a procrastinator? Or somewhere in between? How do you keep yourself organized to get things done?

I'm deffinitely in between. For some things I just dive in and do it. Other things; like folding laundry, those get procastinated on for sure. I typically do laundry during the day; but if I walk to my room for a few minutes to fold, the kids get distracted and stop working. Especially DS. I do like task lists sometimes; but it can also just make things feel never-ending; so I don't always use them. I do keep a good lesson plan schedule for our school work. It's just too complex teaching multiple kids without one. At work I was definitely more organized than I am at home. But I feel like things were more routine there. There is routine at home; but kids will really throw you curveballs. :rolleyes2: And when those curveballs ruin your to-do lists...well its just easier to go with the flow and not get upset over it. At least I'm not still in the days where it took 7 tries (I counted!) just to load the dishwasher because someone was crying. :lol:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely get things done ASAP. I can't stand things laying around out of place, and put things back in their place as soon as I am done with them. If you do it right away, time doesn't get away from you. I am a big list maker too, to remind me of things that need to be done. Even if it takes me days to do a list, I do each thing properly before moving on to the next thing. It's a LOT nicer now that I'm retired, if something doesn't get done on my list, there's always tomorrow!

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to get things done as soon as possible. When it comes to household chores, I set a day for certain tasks. For example, Sunday is my laundry day. As for work, I plan out each week and check things off as I go. I try to manage my time well and stay really organized. I approach organizing for University like I approach my work by planning ahead. I try to be ahead with readings because it is easy to fall behind. My classes officially start on Wednesday and I am already ahead in two courses because those profs. sent out their syllabus a week early and a list of required text books.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a bit of both. I push myself up to a "comfortably urgent" timeframe when I know I can get it finished but will not have any wiggle room while doing it t stop and do something else. I just work better that way. I have written hundreds of academic papers (some published), a master's thesis that was over 200 pages long, and a 40,000-word novella for a class using this method and always did exceptionally well. It helps me focus.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am such a rip the bandaid off, get it done person. The more it is something I really don’t want to do the faster I need to tackle it and get it done. Otherwise it will just keep nagging at me. When I was working I had dozens of interruptions every day that could take five minutes or five hours of my time so being retired I have the enormous luxury of setting my priorities for the day and usually being able to follow thru. Always some “must get dones” but still room most of the time for the other stuff I feel like doing.

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to get things done. I've got worse as I've got older. My son drives me up the wall because everything is left until the last minute. He's always been that way one of his teachers said said he's so laid back I have to check he's listening sometimes in class. But she was always pleasantly surprised when he would answer her question. If I ask him to bring his laundry for me to wash, unless I have asked more than once it will be brought to me when the dryer is on. All I can say is I'm glad he's finished school I was always reminding him you've got homework or assignments to be handed in.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to get things done. I've got worse as I've got older. My son drives me up the wall because everything is left until the last minute. He's always been that way one of his teachers said said he's so laid back I have to check he's listening sometimes in class. But she was always pleasantly surprised when he would answer her question. If I ask him to bring his laundry for me to wash, unless I have asked more than once it will be brought to me when the dryer is on. All I can say is I'm glad he's finished school I was always reminding him you've got homework or assignments to be handed in.
Sounds like my son. As far as laundry, he started doing his own in his mid teens because my rule was that I only washed clothes that made it to a hallway hamper. That rarely happened and I just ignored his clothing so eventually he started doing his own.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my son. As far as laundry, he started doing his own in his mid teens because my rule was that I only washed clothes that made it to a hallway hamper. That rarely happened and I just ignored his clothing so eventually he started doing his own.
Maybe I should give that a try, see if he starts bringing it when I doing the laundry instead of when I've finished.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a Distractionator...start one thing and see something else and end up doing that and the first job doesnt get finished or end up doing 5 things at once.
I like that term. :lol: It's very relateable since I've had kids. I do hope it gets better someday. It is better than it was; but it still feels like theres too much to do at once.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a Distractionator...start one thing and see something else and end up doing that and the first job doesnt get finished or end up doing 5 things at once.
I think that is probably the best way to describe me... I procrastinate the main task by getting distracted by something else that needs doing ... next thing you know the whole doggone day has gone by with multiple projects only half done.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on what it is. I am a get it done person when it comes to work and paying bills. I am a real procrastinator when it comes to things like cleaning and laundry.
:yeah: This describes me to a Tee!

I'm super organized when it comes to being on time with bills, I got that trait from my mom. But there is a part of me that likes to procrastinate other less important tasks almost as a challenge to see how long I can let them go. :rolleyes:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely a get it done type of person. I work from home, so I have to juggle two jobs, all the house work and taking care of 20+ cats. I make lists of what needs to be done and allocate time slots between work for cleaning, fixing things, feeding and medicating and everything else.

And I multitask. Gardening counts as exercise, going for a walk is a good time to mentally plan what needs to be done at work, cleaning is also time to listen to one of my Japanese study tracks, if I'm going to watch a video I also have to fold laundry or do some sewing, something like that.

Did I mention I drink a lot of coffee? I guess having a slightly manic personality helps as well. :runaround: