Question of the Day - Monday, August 23, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Monday. I'm scratching my head trying to come up with a unique question today. Last week was our first week of school and I was mentally wiped all weekend. So were my kids. So after a 3 hour nap yesterday and being lazy on Saturday I'm almost feeling like myself. I'm just a tad behind. Plus I had to do a second grocery order because Walmart's system went down in the middle of me trying to add a bunch to my order. At least it meant I had time to stop by Dunkin on the way home. And that's deffinitely nice on a Monday morning!

It's breezy today so my kids are getting some fresh air and sunshine while DD tries to fly a kite. :lol:

What was your favorite way to spend recess as a kid?

I mostly remember just skipping around with my friends. My elementary school didn't have a playground with slides and things until I was older. I think most kids just ran around playing tag type games and red rover. I think I played Red Rover more at the bus stop in the mornings though. I think there were some jump ropes outside but I'm not sure if they belonged to the school or kids just sometimes brought their own for recess.

In the winter I loooved when we would get to play Bingo in the small half of the caffeteria if it was too stormy to be outside. I used to volunteer in the library so sometimes I'd go there instead of out for recess. I loved that too. :redheartpump:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try to keep this short but, up to the age of 10 or 11, we, in the girls' playground, went through phases of:
  • Ball games such as Piggy in the Middle, or 2-balls (played up against a wall)
  • Skipping, everyone with a skipping rope or someone had a very long rope (washing line) and all us of would skip and sing until someone got caught up in the rope and had to take her turn at taking an end of the rope
  • High jump over a rope
  • Leap frog
  • Sitting on the concrete ground playing 5-stones or jacks
  • Games such as "What's the Time Mr Wolf?, "Poor Jenny is a Weeping", "The Farmer's in his Den", "London Bridge is Falling Down" .....
I can still remember some of the chants we sang while skipping and playing with 2-balls up against the wall. I loved it all.
At my next school we considered ourselves just too grown-up to play so we just walked round the outside of the school buildings gossipping or, in summer, lay on the grass and .......... gossipped! Perhaps we talked about boys as we got older. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only went to public school for 3rd and 4th grades. I was an awkward kid and not terribly popular, so mostly I sat on the bench. But occasionally I'd find someone to jump rope or play 4-square with. At one point someone taught me how to turn the rope for double dutch, so I ended up doing that most recesses. I have never been coordinated enough to actually jump double dutch though!

We weren't allowed to play dodgeball during school hours so my brother and neighborhood friends and I would come back to the school grounds after hours and play "killer" dodgeball against the brick wall (someone always ended up bleeding, we loved it, lol).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We played a game called Chinese Jump Rope, which was made out of rubber bands and stretched around the ankles. It was originally invented by Chinese rope makers as part of their New Year's celebration.
Here's how it's played: How to Make a Chinese Jump Rope
I remember now playing that too - and scrounging rubber band to make it. It was SO much fun to do - you would catch the rubber rope with your ankles and then complete a specified kind of jump that got harder as you continued.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Happy Monday. I'm scratching my head trying to come up with a unique question today. Last week was our first week of school and I was mentally wiped all weekend. So were my kids. So after a 3 hour nap yesterday and being lazy on Saturday I'm almost feeling like myself. I'm just a tad behind. Plus I had to do a second grocery order because Walmart's system went down in the middle of me trying to add a bunch to my order. At least it meant I had time to stop by Dunkin on the way home. And that's deffinitely nice on a Monday morning!

It's breezy today so my kids are getting some fresh air and sunshine while DD tries to fly a kite. :lol:

What was your favorite way to spend recess as a kid?

I mostly remember just skipping around with my friends. My elementary school didn't have a playground with slides and things until I was older. I think most kids just ran around playing tag type games and red rover. I think I played Red Rover more at the bus stop in the mornings though. I think there were some jump ropes outside but I'm not sure if they belonged to the school or kids just sometimes brought their own for recess.

In the winter I loooved when we would get to play Bingo in the small half of the caffeteria if it was too stormy to be outside. I used to volunteer in the library so sometimes I'd go there instead of out for recess. I loved that too. :redheartpump:
In the school library. I now work in a library, LOL!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neither elementary school I attended had much of playground. It was just a big open asphalt area. The first school did have faded paint drawn hopscotch blocks and large round circles in which we played "hop tag". There was a rusty old swing set frame (no swings) at the far end that kids used to climb up and hang from the top. The second school had maybe a basketball hoop on the boys' side of the asphalt. I remember Chinese jump rope and hand clapping games and tag.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
i was bullied as a kid and didnt enjoy school at all
Me too. Grade school were terrible years for me. I remember a kid who put a chewed bubblegum on my hair. It took a while for my aunt to remove it. And to answer the question, I remember hiding every recess time. I used to eat alone, in some school secret corners.