Question of the Day - Monday, August 10, 2020

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for the late question today. I've been running errands. I went into Kohls today for the first time since everything shutdown. I was able to do all my kid's shopping for summer clothing and sandals online last spring. It's not time for fall/winter shopping yet; but my DS really needed some new underpants. :lol: I ordered them on the app but decided to go into the store to pick them up today because I had an errand in the same shopping center today. It saved me from paying for shipping and with the sale price; they were cheaper than Walmart. So that was nice. What surprised me was the strong urge to go browse! You can tell they are cleaning a lot because the floors were GLEAMING! :crazy: I'm not sure how fall/winter shopping is going to go without trying stuff on. But I think I'm going to try some in-store shopping to at least hold stuff up to my kids. Taking their measurements only helps so much.

Are you an online or in-store shopper?

I do both. It usually depends on what it is. Ordering groceries online is awesome. But the clothing and shoe ordering I'm just not that comfortable with. Summer stuff is easier to work around. But with closed shoes and pant lengths/widths to consider, I'm not looking forward to fall stuff. I do like reading reviews online; but sometimes that can be overwhelming. You think you've made a decision and then reviews throw you all off. I think I will be happy when we can shop in person more normally again. I don't even want to try buying clothing for myself right now.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I much prefer in person shopping, especially for groceries (I like picking out my own produce), and while I'm not a huge clothes shopper,I prefer to try on.

I've had to do more online shopping lately due to the pandemic, though I still go in person to grocery shop. I should probably order some cheap maternity clothes soon, honestly...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For clothes shopping, I have to try everything on. Women's sizes are annoyingly inconsistent and not everything looks good on my body. So 2 or 3 times a year I go to Kohl's, grab everything that looks slightly acceptable, and try it all on. I'm usually left with 3 or 4 things I like :/. I don't enjoy clothes shopping so I prefer to get it all over with at once.

But if it's, say, a particular brand and size I already own and I just want another, maybe in a different color, I'll order it online. Same with shoes; if I need a new model, it has to be in person, but if it's the same model as my last pair I can order online.

I like grocery shopping in person, I especially love wandering around Costco.

For other stuff, like cat food and general goods, I order online.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I shop online for clothes since I"m usually ordering from international companies and household things since it's sometimes too much of a hassle to go to the big box stores here (imagine Target but three floors). Produce I buy in person because I don't really trust that I'll get good quality, especially since things usually come in huge bundles here and I really only usually need one or two of a thing at a time.

If I plan a shopping trip, I usually plan everything in advance so I know exactly which stores I have to go to and the quickest route between them, especially if I have to use the subway rather than walking or biking to get to a particular store.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer in person shopping. I miss shopping. We have been staying at home most of the time. Hubby goes in the grocery store and I sit in the car and wait for him most of the time.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do both,but it depends on what it is.I prefer to do my grocery shopping in person,or send hubby with my list.There are some things I must order online,like my coffee..WalMart quit carrying it in the store,so...I usually order 4 or 6 containers and that will last us a good while,my trash bags (I can get a bigger box than in the store)...stuff like that.I usually do most if not all my Christmas shopping online,and as of right now I'm about done.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to shop in-store, but since it is now difficult for me to walk any distance, I do most of my shopping online. It means a few items of clothing are wasted, as it's also difficult to get to the post office to mail lt back.

I do shop for groceries in the stores. They all have riding carts, which makes it easy for me. Last week, though, the bagger put a formerly 1-lb can of coffee on my bread, which I didn't discover until I got home. :fuming:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t like online shopping but in some cases it’s necessary. I would never be able to get clothes that fit online though and since I live way out, no way to return ship if I ordered something that didn’t fit. In person is still the way I need to buy clothes. Deliveries here are very iffy too. Lol Toss and run? I guess the distance to the porch seems hard.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Groceries and perishables I always buy in person. For household things I either buy it at a thrift store or shop for it online. I don’t have Amazon Prime so I bundle purchases so they qualify for free shipping or buy on EBay where free shipping is more often available and prices often match or are cheaper than Amazon.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Groceries are in store. pretty much everything else is online. I get many staple items like toiletries, paper goods, cat food, etc using Amazon subscribe and save. That's how I get the Dr. Elsey's dry food. They are usually cheaper than Chewy and no minimum order to get free shipping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I much prefer online, especially for clothing. It's very hard to find my size in stores, especially when it comes to shoes.
I have a hard time with shoes too. I am seeing more 11s in the stores but I really have to try them on. Occasionally I need a 12 or a different width. But sometimes I can try a 10 in the stores and know an 11 will fit. I am dreading guessing with DDs feet this fall! At least with my kids I can find slims online easily and things like that.

I need new clothes myself because I’ve lost weight but I’m nervous to buy without trying on. So belt it is! My running shoes are 2 years old too. They don’t make them anymore either. 😣

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do both, but since the pandemic I'm doing it all online. I have no need to buy new clothes since I'm working from home and not going anywhere. I'm not fond of shopping for food online and having it delivered, but so many people are not taking this serious, no masks, no distancing, that I can't take a chance with my and husband's underlying conditions. It's kind of depressing really.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I mainly shopped online even before the pandemic and have hardly ever had to return anything, since I generally stick to brands whose sizes I'm familiar with or measure carefully. Hubby has always done the bulk of the grocery shopping and grows most of our produce.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely online. Can't tell you the last time I have gone into an actual store. I am so un-girl like and hate shopping. I am a "get in and get out" type so online shopping is the best. Quick and I don't have to waste time searching around for what I want. Plus it helps with impulse buying. Really the only store I go to is the grocery store.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
After suffering through a severe bout of sciatica several years ago, I learned to enjoy shopping online. And I probably increase my online shopping every year. This year, due to the pandemic, other than grocery shopping and an occasional trip to Lowes for she shed building supplies, I've been shopping online. We hit Target for prescription meds when necessary. And that's it. Haven't been to the mall, haven't been to any other stores at all, haven't been to a restaurant. We haven't been anywhere. Since March. :sigh:

Our DIL is working on Christmas wish lists for the Grands now, so that I can do my online shopping and have the items get here by Christmas. She's going to try to get the lists to me by the beginning of September. It's not too early.

One of the FedEx drivers now knows Rick by name. When he delivers something, he usually says, "Hi Rick!".

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pre-Covid I was an in-store shopper. Or even just an in-store browser. I could spent a ridiculous amount of time in a store like Marshalls and not even buy anything. Since Covid, though, I've only been in grocery stores and home improvement types stores. I've done a bit of online shopping for non-food and non-clothing items, but anything I don't need right now, I'm not buying. I really miss my favourite stores, but it's just not enjoyable anymore.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely in-store. I have purchased things like cat food on-line but I know what I'm getting. I have to try things on, and I have to feel what I'm buying. I like to look at and hold things to gauge the quality of them. And I really don't want the hassle of having to return anything if I don't like it.
Once I know what I'm getting and decided to get a second, then I would consider buying on-line. Like when we were in lockdown, I ordered an extra pair of leggings, of a brand I already own and like to make my cat food order reach the "free shipping" amount.