Question of the Day - Monday, April 19, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm starting Monday on an oddly positive note... I got a full night of sleep last night. Broken up; but after going a while with NOT getting enough, it felt good! Then first thing this morning we spotted a new bird on the ground below our feeder. My first thought was some kind of Oriel because it was black and orange; but it had white on it's belly so I think it was a Towhee. I'm hoping it comes back so I can get a better look. And the best part of today? RAIN! I don't have to go water the grass seed. :bliss: Tomorrow I may sneak off to the garden center so I can get some seeds in the ground. But today; nature is helping me out BIG time! :redheartpump:

We have a thread going about flying on airplanes; but how about train travel? Have you ever taken a trip by train?

I have taken a few. It really is a convenient way to get places. When I was a kid my Mom wanted me to experience it so we went to visit her cousin via train. We normally made the trip by car for long weekends. There was a train station in our hometown so it was pretty simple. I also took the train on my own to visit family when I was 17. I was pretty nervous about it but people were nice and helpful with finding a seat. I got to chat with an older man from Italy. The only part I really didn't lilke was changing trains in New York City. That felt a little nervewracking because I didn't know which way I'd have to go for the next train. My grandparents used to take the train to visit us too. They'd send their luggage ahead to make it easier. My step-sister was able to take the train when she was in college.

I've done a few scenic railroad trips. Those just last a few hours but they were fun. A friend of DH's worked for a campground thats set in a gorge with an old railroad track he helped restore. They use the tracks to pull kids up and down to tube down the river and rock climb. He and his wife got married on the side of those train tracks and it was the most goreous wedding I've ever attended. We stayed on an open air car with a cliff behind us and they had the dropoff behind them. A friend played music while we road up and back down. His wife arrived on a special smaller car driven by a friend in an old fashion conductors uniform. It was really fun! We've been able to take our kids on the train there a couple times (by making a donation and that friend's connection). They really like the tunnel that's still soot covered from it's original days.

I've been thinking about train travel in the future when things are more normal again. I'm so over car trips (even after over a year without taking one) that it sounds like it could be a nice option for us to do something new and go somewhere without having to drive.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've ridden in trains many times. The first time was when I was four years old. We went from DC to Arkansas where my grandparents lived. It was a journey of two days and one night. Eating in the dining car was an adventure.

I also traveled to and from college for four years on trains. By that time, the railway system was breaking down. No dining cars, no food, and drafty cars that rattled incessantly and had no heat. I hated it. I haven't been on a train since Amtrak took over.

I would like to take one of those scenic trips through the northern Rockies, though, which would be perfect for me now as I can't walk far enough to do any sightseeing. Maybe sometime soon.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only had one trip on a train. I was somewhere around 13, and with my Pathfinder group (the next step after Girl Guides, which I assume is similar to Scouts in the states) we took a trip to Montreal, Quebec (I'm in Ontario), and we all decided that we wanted to take the train rather than fly or bus as none of us had even been before. It was pretty cool......long......but cool. It was an over 12 hour ride.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! When I studied abroad in France in 2004 we used the TGV to travel to other parts of the country. One time, our seats got upgraded to first class, which was pretty cool. In 1999, I took the train through the Chunnel from England to France. I think I did inter-Italy via train as well, and of course I've done the El in Chicago.

I'd love to do one of those picturesque train rides across part of Canada! I don't remember if I've ever done an overnight, so that could be cool, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes! When I studied abroad in France in 2004 we used the TGV to travel to other parts of the country. One time, our seats got upgraded to first class, which was pretty cool. In 1999, I took the train through the Chunnel from England to France. I think I did inter-Italy via train as well, and of course I've done the El in Chicago.

I'd love to do one of those picturesque train rides across part of Canada! I don't remember if I've ever done an overnight, so that could be cool, too.
How long does it take to travel the chunnel part? I've ridden through the Chesepeak Bay Bridge and Tunnel a few times over the years. Once there was a huge ship crossing at the same time too. But I know some people are extremely afraid of it and won't drive it themselves even though the tunnels only take a few minutes each.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I rode the train home from college my freshman year but after that I always tried to get a ride with someone who had a car instead. I'm used to taking the train into the city but that's not a long ride. While on a trip to England I rode the Tube but it kept stopping and getting stuck. I remember being over 30 min. late to my destination because of it. The only future train trip I would consider is the Rocky Mountaineer to British Columbia. My cousin went there almost two years ago and showed me pics, it looked amazing! 🚂

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in boot camp, when we would get liberty we could take the Chicago & North Western to Chicago or Milwaukee, and I have been to both. Also, Michele and I have taken Amtrak between Johnstown and Altoona, PA, over Horseshoe Curve. We have taken rides on several tourist lines in Vermont, W. Virginia, Tennessee, Ohio, Pennsylvania and NY as well.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I rode on the Tweetsie railroad. It is a fun ride for children, complete with a train robbery! When I was in Europe, we rode on trains. A great way to travel there. There were beer vendors with carts at the station. The beer on the train was outrageously expensive, but the beer carts were charging about thirty cents for a draft! Deux bières, s’il vous plaît!

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My first train ride was when I was 5 and was from LA to Ohio. I still remember a lot about it, especially the longer stop in Chicago. I took trains in Europe when I traveled there, through the Gotthard Pass in Switzerland for one, and the Chunnel. In London and Paris I kept riding the Underground and Metro as I thought they were such incredible ways to travel around a big city, as opposed to trying to park your car in LA. I would travel by train again if I had the chance.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long does it take to travel the chunnel part? I've ridden through the Chesepeak Bay Bridge and Tunnel a few times over the years. Once there was a huge ship crossing at the same time too. But I know some people are extremely afraid of it and won't drive it themselves even though the tunnels only take a few minutes each.
I honestly don't remember - it was over 20 years ago! Longer than a few minutes, though.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up where I did in NY,we were right on the good old Hudson River,and we had a gorgeous train station right there as well.When I was a child,my Mom used to take us...my sister and I...on excursions to Poughkeepsie to visit our grandparents,and a few times into the city to go to Central Park.I was petrified of having to go from one car to the other,and so I don't think I truly enjoyed the whole experience.Not sure how I'd feel about it now.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE train travel. I have traveled from Chicago to Las Vegas several times by train - it’s a three day, two night trip. And the best trip was across Canada on vintage rail cars from Toronto to Vancouver (3 nights, 4 days if I recall) then an Amtrak train to Seattle and another Amtrak train from Seattle to home. Train travel is very social since they seat four people at every dining table regardless if you are traveling alone so you get to chat with tons of people and of course see gorgeous scenery.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been on commuter trains in Japan, including the bullet train. Did it frequently, as trying to get anywhere in Japan by any other method is difficult. And I've been on the subway in New York City, during a 2-day visit. That's it for trains, I think.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apart from taking the subway / streetcars / trolleys / commuter trains? Yes but not for very far. Mom used to take us on the Peter Pan bus to visit her sister and her family on the other side of the state. One time we took the Amtrak train instead. The normally 2 hour-ish trip took 6 hours because of a sudden windy rain storm that blew tree branches across the tracks.